Probably a weird question about a vegan multi

JillTwiss
JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I am not vegan, but I am vegetarian and I don't consume gelatin, which most multi-vitamins contain, so I take a vegan version - Vegan One I think it's called.

The problem is, it stinks. I think it smells like a urinal. My coworker says it smells like cat pee and my son said the same thing. I keep my daily medications and my vitamin in a weekly dispenser thing so that I don't have to remember if I took it or not, and it makes my whole purse smell like pee. That makes my cubicle at work smell like pee, my car smell like pee, and so on. It also makes me gag a little when I take it.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a vegan (or vegetarian) multi-vitamin that doesn't stink? I used to take Alive! and those didn't smell so bad, but I had to take 6 a day! The one I take now is only once a day.

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    That cracked me up!! I am the same as you, a vegetarian but I don't consume gelatin. I take a brand that my nutritionist carries but I do know that Sun Warrior carries vegan products. Also check out Twin Labs. I just ordered some B-12 dots from them.
  • JillTwiss
    Maybe I'll go back to The Vitamin Shoppe, where I got this one, and ask them for one that doesn't smell like a litter box. :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I know this is going to come off sounding obtuse, but it's not meant to be. I realize that you're just trying to help yourself by taking a multi-vitamin, but wouldn't it just be better to make sure you get your vitamins in the food you eat?

I mean, most multi's don't give anywhere near the amount of usable vitamins that they claim to. Because of how our body breaks down pills, we lose a lot of the nutrients before they are ever used.

anyway, if you're set on a multi, you could try this one.

http://www.iherb.com/Deva-Vegan-Multivitamin-Mineral-Supplement-One-Daily-90-Tablets/12664

got good reviews and nobody mentioned any smell to them which is probably a good sign.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I know this is going to come off sounding obtuse, but it's not meant to be. I realize that you're just trying to help yourself by taking a multi-vitamin, but wouldn't it just be better to make sure you get your vitamins in the food you eat?

I mean, most multi's don't give anywhere near the amount of usable vitamins that they claim to. Because of how our body breaks down pills, we lose a lot of the nutrients before they are ever used.

http://www.iherb.com/Deva-Vegan-Multivitamin-Mineral-Supplement-One-Daily-90-Tablets/12664

got good reviews and nobody mentioned any smell to them which is probably a good sign.

It's very difficult for a vegetarian (even one who is lacto-ovo) to get certain nutrients through diet alone and is highly recommended that we take a multi, especially for the iron.

It is even more difficult for a dieting vegetarian to get all the needed nutrients.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Wow... that sounds gross. I'm a vegetarian too and I take the generic version of One-a-day energy support....Target's Up & Up brand, I think that;s the one.. It's a daily multivitamin and has extra energy support =- NO GELATIN. Gelatin is usually only in the gel-tab versions of vitamins. This is a coated caplet.
  • SHBoss1673

It's very difficult for a vegetarian (even one who is lacto-ovo) to get certain nutrients through diet alone and is highly recommended that we take a multi, especially for the iron.

It is even more difficult for a dieting vegetarian to get all the needed nutrients.

Really? I'm no vegetarian, so I have little experience with that. All I know is that most commercially sold vitamin supplements have a very low bio-availability, which means that the nutrients you actually receive is far lower than what they say on the package.

I would have thought that Vegetarians would usually be ok on the iron (and most mineral) front as many veggies, legumes, beans, and nuts have tons of iron in them. I guess that's probably partially because of the type of iron in flora. I would have thought that the problem would have been protein because of the nature of the types of incomplete proteins in many plant based foods.
  • rml_16

Really? I'm no vegetarian, so I have little experience with that. All I know is that most commercially sold vitamin supplements have a very low bio-availability, which means that the nutrients you actually receive is far lower than what they say on the package.

I would have thought that Vegetarians would usually be ok on the iron (and most mineral) front as many veggies, legumes, beans, and nuts have tons of iron in them. I guess that's probably partially because of the type of iron in flora. I would have thought that the problem would have been protein because of the nature of the types of incomplete proteins in many plant based foods.

Check the NI on those things again. Spinach is considered to have a high amount of iron for a non-meat food. But one would have to eat about a pound of it to get enough iron. My 6 pieces of dark chocolate are the highest amount of iron I get in my diet through food and I rarely reach 100% of my iron goal through food. I'm usually 20-40% low. And I eat spinach and peanut butter and beans pretty much every single day.

One other trick is cooking in cast iron, which I do. But there's no way to measure the amount of iron one gets from that.

I've had recent blood work and my levels are good, but it's highly recommended that vegetarians take a multivitamin with a minimum of 18 (I think mg?) of iron every day.

I agree that the vitamins and minerals don't absorb as well as with real food and you may not get all of it, but you get SOME.

Protein is a big issue for vegans, but us lacto-ovos eat eggs and dairy.
  • JillTwiss
    Protein is definitely not a concern for me, but iron is a HUGE concern. I am anemic, have been for a long time. I recently started eating Total at least 3 mornings a week (the mornings I don't work) and those are the only days I get enough iron. Non-meat sources that are considered "high" in iron are actually quite low and like someone said above, you have to eat a whole lot of it to even come close. The Vegan One (I am pretty sure that's the name but the bottle's at home and I'm at work) I take doesn't have iron so I take a separate supplement. My doctor told me to take three 65mg tablets each day because as you have said, you don't absorb all of it.

B12 is another concern when you don't eat meat. I do try my best to get as much vitamins through food as I can, but I feel a lot better when I take my multi.

Good to know the Target generic doesn't contain gelatin. I checked all the multis at Wal-Mart and every single one did!

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I know most vitamins have a mineral smell and aren't exactly appealing, but this one is actually gross.
  • SHBoss1673
    Check the NI on those things again. Spinach is considered to have a high amount of iron for a non-meat food. But one would have to eat about a pound of it to get enough iron. My 6 pieces of dark chocolate are the highest amount of iron I get in my diet through food and I rarely reach 100% of my iron goal through food. I'm usually 20-40% low. And I eat spinach and peanut butter and beans pretty much every single day.

One other trick is cooking in cast iron, which I do. But there's no way to measure the amount of iron one gets from that.

I've had recent blood work and my levels are good, but it's highly recommended that vegetarians take a multivitamin with a minimum of 18 (I think mg?) of iron every day.

I agree that the vitamins and minerals don't absorb as well as with real food and you may not get all of it, but you get SOME.

OK, well, good to know. For the record though, I wasn't thinking of spinach, I know spinach has a lot of oxalic acid, which blocks iron absorption anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of chic peas, potatoes, black beans, tofu, lentils ...etc. things like that. but I get your meaning.
  • JillTwiss

OK, well, good to know. For the record though, I wasn't thinking of spinach, I know spinach has a lot of oxalic acid, which blocks iron absorption anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of chic peas, potatoes, black beans, tofu, lentils ...etc. things like that. but I get your meaning.

I'm one of those "weird" vegetarians that doesn't like tofu. I've been told I just haven't had it prepared properly, but whatever. LOL
    I was pleasantly surprised to find out regular old russet potatoes have a good amount of iron but I have to be careful about what I put ON the potatoes. :wink:

Did you know watermelon has one of the highest iron contents? Too bad I'm a freak that doesn't like that either, but now that I know, I get it for my kids often. My teen son has become a vegetarian too. My youngest still eats poultry and fish.
  • rml_16
    I don't like watermelon, either! Ick.

One thing you should always do is have vitamin C with your iron (whether in food or in a supplement). It helps the body absorb it.
This discussion has been closed.