Injections against being overweight

Options
^ Don't know if i translated that right.

But i found this article in the news:
http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/4560/Gezond/article/detail/3664264/2014/05/30/Injectie-tegen-overgewicht-binnen-het-jaar-op-de-markt.dhtml
If you're dutch, read it.
If you're not, ill roughly translate it:

Scientists from 27 different countries have been experimenting with injecting liraglutide for several years, a substance that influences feelings of hunger, lowers blood pressure and increases good cholesterol. The injection has been tested on 4000 overweight men and women recently and will be expected on the market within a year.

Obesity is seen as the plague of our modern society. It easily shortens your life expectancy with 9 years and makes you vulnerable for heart and vascular problems, strokes and certain forms of cancer.

All these problems can cost a fortune, not leaving out absenteeism (thanks google translate). The hope that healthy eating and exercise alone may turn things around obviously decreases. Because of that, science is persistently trying to find a solution.

"The problem with diëting is usually that people become hungrier and their bodies try to get their original weight back. Medication can help overweight people shift the pounds and keep it off long-term." It sounds.

Liraglutide
From different testphases with daily liraglutide injections it seems that people lost 9 kilograms on average in a twelve-month period and even 10,5 kilogram was lost by a third of the women. Next to the injections, the 4000 test subjects were also told to move more and change their diets. Similar weight loss could decrease the chances of heart problems, but also give a better quality of sleep and life.

The effects of liraglutide was extensively discussed at the European Congress on Obesity in Sofia. The injection doesn't only let your brain think you're saturated, it would lower blood pressure, increase good cholesterol and prevent diabetes. Side effects concern mostly nausea.

Soon
Liraglutide is being produced by the Danish company Novo Nordisk and will be deployed in the battle against diabetes today. The goal for now is to make the injection a recognized medicine against obesity and being overweight.

What do you think?

Replies

• k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It sounds no better than the pills to curb hunger. At this point I figure nothing gimmicky had ever helped me and I wouldn't put my faith in anything as easy as getting a shot.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I think it doesn't help, you can't even know because they changed TWO THINGS, they gave injections and they changed the diets of the test subjects so it's basically impossible to say if it was because of the injections. There is no medicine against obesity because it's not an illness, it can be solved with a healthy diet and exercise.
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't help, you can't even know because they changed TWO THINGS, they gave injections and they changed the diets of the test subjects so it's basically impossible to say if it was because of the injections. There is no medicine against obesity because it's not an illness, it can be solved with a healthy diet and exercise.

Two factors and they're only selling one. Sounds promising. :grumble: