Looking to link up with dieters in their fifties

Options
I have let myself go over the last two years and gained and extra stone. I am very motivated and can stick to a diet, but finding it hard to actually shift the weight now I'm that much older. Anyone finding the same problem?

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Not quite 50, 380 days short. However I am not finding it difficult to shift the weight. But I do not view my recent weight loss as a diet. I do not refer to cheat days and the whole negative connotations that language conveys. For medical reasons I have had to make lifestyle changes and so be it. I was Type II Obese and am now 1.1kg for being merely overweight. THis is broadly how I need to be for the rest of my life.

What have I done over the last 4 months, made slow conscious changes. Eating regularly, reducing snacks, reducing processed foods, reducing alcohol consumption, eating more fruit and veg, reducing carbs (particularly potato and bread), 30 mins of exercise a day. These changes were not sudden but introduced over a couple of months, so it has not felt like deprivation, it has crept up on me.I still eat out, SWMBO's birthday tomorrow, beer and curry night with rugby coaches next Friday. Have been out on birthdays, beer festivals etc, it's about making conscious lifestyle changes. I am still going to have to celebrate events and so need to know how to deal with them. Some days I am over my calorie count and some days I am under, I look for weekly averages. I am sure it would have been easier when I was younger but I have shed 20 kgs in 4 months. It takes commitment, how bad do you want it?
  • auntyfred
    auntyfred Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh yes it's a slow slow process. Frustrating when I see others losing weight so much quicker with seemingly little effort.
    However I have come to the conclusion that I no longer am so bothered about the size of me but my health is more important.
    Earlier this year I told my husband "I think my hiking days are over".
    I have just completed the "walk 100 miles in May challenge" So somethings are improving.
  • bigtreez43
    bigtreez43 Posts: 2
    Options
    Been using fitness pal since 24th april and for me the most important thing has been to log absolutely everything I eat, even if it puts you over your allowance as its the only way to learn how much 'blind' eating we do.... like just quickly eating the end crust of the baguette when I'm making hubby his ham roll and the soy sauce I add to a rice dish, it all adds up and makes such a difference. Also try walking every day if poss, it's free good, for you and helps focus your mind. Good luck and keep going :wink

63800504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Not quite 50, 380 days short. However I am not finding it difficult to shift the weight. But I do not view my recent weight loss as a diet. I do not refer to cheat days and the whole negative connotations that language conveys. For medical reasons I have had to make lifestyle changes and so be it. I was Type II Obese and am now 1.1kg for being merely overweight. THis is broadly how I need to be for the rest of my life.

What have I done over the last 4 months, made slow conscious changes. Eating regularly, reducing snacks, reducing processed foods, reducing alcohol consumption, eating more fruit and veg, reducing carbs (particularly potato and bread), 30 mins of exercise a day. These changes were not sudden but introduced over a couple of months, so it has not felt like deprivation, it has crept up on me.I still eat out, SWMBO's birthday tomorrow, beer and curry night with rugby coaches next Friday. Have been out on birthdays, beer festivals etc, it's about making conscious lifestyle changes. I am still going to have to celebrate events and so need to know how to deal with them. Some days I am over my calorie count and some days I am under, I look for weekly averages. I am sure it would have been easier when I was younger but I have shed 20 kgs in 4 months. It takes commitment, how bad do you want it?

This is practically my story as well. Started Jan 1, aged 51, at 100 lbs over target weight, considered well obese at 279 lbs and a BMI of 40. In 5 months, I'm down 80+ lbs, eating well, and getting in lots of walking (30 mins per day on weekdays, 60-90 mins on weekends). It's just melted off.

I have 20 more to go, and it will probably take the rest of the year, maybe a bit into next year, which is fine by me.

I do not "diet". I have a long term fitness plan including exercise and good nutrition. "Diet" connotes negativity to me. A fitness plan is an overall wellness view, one that I can sustain indefinitely.

It helps me to have a "why". I always knew I needed to lose weight, but never had a focus. A year or so ago, I started having knee problems, to the point that it was either replacement surgery, or weight loss. That's a very strong motivator for me. So, find your "why" and use it to your advantage.

Best of luck!

PS - I'm now "overweight" rather than "obese", and my BMI is edging down to 28.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 now and have spent the last couple of years getting myself back into shape.
    A few things came together (managing my injured back better, working at a place with its own gym, having more "me time", finding an eating pattern that suits me) that actually made weight loss quite easy. Maybe easy is the wrong word, simple would be more accurate - still a complete pain in the *kitten* to eat at a deficit when you enjoy your food but the process was logical. Accurately logging your food takes away all the excuses and makes you accountable.

Being goal driven makes the daily calorie target a constant incentive and setting fitness targets motivates me. Finding an exercise activity you enjoy also makes a huge difference, I'm loving my gym and cycling and it feels great to be setting new personal bests when you are an old fart.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and stumbled into all of this. For most of my adult life I carried a large beer gut because I love to eat and drink. After repeatedly hearing that visceral fat is the worst for your health and my kids asking the due date, l started walking. Lost a little and felt good. To avoid boredom I started playing a GPS game that requires moving form point to point to attack and build (Ingress.com). As got caught up in the competitive game I started running between points and a little more weight came off. Then I received a fitbit force and Aria scale for Christmas and found MFP. The weight started really coming off when I changed my eating habits and increased my exercise. I am in the best shape of my life now completed a half maraton and have all new clothes. People that heve not seen me in a while say "look at skinny" it may not get easier with age but it is very do able. Like the others above said its not a diet, its a lifestyle change. Exercise often, eat good healthy food, log everything and eat at a deficit. It will take time but it will work.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Weight loss for peri-menopausal women is tricky. If this describes you, you may want to discuss your concerns about this with your General Practitioner or OB/GYN. As for me (obviously not a woman of any stage of menopause) I really have not had a problem losing weight at all. As a couple of folks commented, there were some limitations but as my activity level has increased, I am able to do more and more... I thought I'd never be able to run again due to knee problems but this month have totaled 42.75 miles so far in my 45 mile (100 km) challenge. With increased fitness comes greater ability over time (at least for me it has)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Frustrating when I see others losing weight so much quicker with seemingly little effort.

Not so much easy, but eating a 1100 calorie deficit day in day out. It's science, calories in and out. No snacking, just eating at set times, day in day out, no biscuits, cakes only on special occasions and then at the expense of something else. I see people at work with the same problem, they struggle to lose weight, but they drive to the local shops, snack all day, eat treats that people bring in. If you eat near maintenance you will struggle to lose weight. I have eaten at 1500-1600 calories a day plus exercise calories for 3 months, and for a 280 pound lump it was not easy. Sorry if it sounds harsh but it is about choices, and when I see the word diet, I see "I want a short term fix". If you don't want to make big changes then don't, just be prepared for it to take a long time. I am now working at a 750 per day calorie deficit and in a few months it will be 500, then 250 then maintenance. I recognize towards the end it will be slow. It about choices. If I chose to eat more calories the weight reduction would have been slower.

I am not sure about copyright here so I invite you to google "Frank **** mountain valley people" and decide whether you belong in the mountains or the valleys. I know where I aspire to be, but have spent too long in the valley. Good luck on your choices.