Creative Cardio Exercises...Any suggestions?

Options
My daughter, who will be 10 in about 2 week, was born without part of her right leg. She has always worn a prosthetic and been very active. She has been in plays, been on a flag football team, been a cheerleader, etc. However, about 2 years ago, she started having trouble with her knee dislocating. The problem has gotten more and more frequent to the point she no longer wants to wear her leg and she is using crutches. We are going to see (another) surgeon next week, but it seems like it will be a while before we get any results. She is very good on crutches (she has even cheered whole games with one crutch and balance). However, with any long walking sessions, her hands blister (even with gloves). This sudden inactivity has caused a lot of weight gain. This is affecting her physically and emotionally. She probably eats too much, but she isn't eating more than ussual, just the same food intake with less exercise. I am working on only keeping healthy choices as far as food goes. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on some cario exercise (preferrably fun for a kid). I have thought of swimming, but we really don't have the option of doing this often. THanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights. Get dumbbells and push it. The heavier the weight the more your heart pumps. Try get her into lifting weights and even see if she can do one legged squats with her good leg. Muscle will help her metabolism. Sounds like she is in pretty good shape just need to get back to full potential. Maybe try doing chalean extreme with her. There are alot of workouts that she could probably do while sitting on a stool or something. For easiest fitness I would say is weights. Cardio may be more limited.