truck driver having trouble loosing weight

Options
I have been looking at posts for awhile now on this site. I was an over the road truck driver for 2 years and gained 60 pounds. I am 6 foot 1 inches 291 pounds and 32 years old. I have a local night shift driving job now so I work about 8 hours a day and home everyday. I am eating between 1800 and 1900 calories a day for 21 days. I am doing insanity 3 to 4 days a week. I lost 9 pounds in the first 14 days but in the last 7 days haven't lost any weight. I'm looking for help on how to get the scale moving agian. I have never been this fat or out of shape in my whole life the 2 years I had to do over the road to get experience really made me out of shape. I don't want to loose motivation but you all know it's easy to do so that's why I'm reaching out for advice and support thanks everyone.

Replies

• Alix68
    Alix68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, 7 days isn't something to worry about. I've never tried this 'insanity' thing but I don't like the sound of it to be honest! Whatever your exercise though, your body is going to go through a lot of changes when you take on a new regime.
    For one thing, your weight will change from day to day due to fluids in your body. Sometimes my weight goes up by a couple of pounds and then down again and I think that's normal.
    Also, with a sudden increase in exercise, your going to gain muscle, which means you will gain a little weight that way. This is nothing to worry about, but is difficult to precisely predict or measure.
    These are the reasons why it's not really recommended to weigh yourself every day - it's often meaningless.
    Another issue is that your scales may not be accurate. Mine and also several of my friends' scales often give the same reading for days on end, and then if I remove the batteries or change them from pounds to kilos, I get a different reading!
    Anyway, don't worry about 7 days. Be consistent with your diet and exercise and pretty soon your health will improve, it can hardly do anything else.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're weighing your solid foods.
    You're doing great! Don't give up.
    It takes awhile but the rewards are tremendous-health, looks and the way you feel!
    The journey is much easier if you keep foods you love in your life but within your calorie goal.
    Drink water to reduce water retention.
    Keep up the great work work!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    9lbs in 3 weeks is great...

Not losing for 7 days is expected actually esp with new exercise...

It will cause water retention which can last up to 2-4weeks...

Just be patient, weight loss is not linear...it will come...

and here is some perspective...it took me 3 weeks to lose 1.4 lbs...and that happened on the last day of those 3 weeks...it was my last pound imagine waiting for that to happen.....:grumble:
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement that gives me some things to think about. I was just figuring since I have 100 Pounds or so to loose I wouldn't slow down on the scale for awhile yet if you know what I mean. I know don't trust the scale. I'm still super motivated but wanted to get ahead of the bad thoughts that creep in by actively voicing my concerns. I only weigh myself once a week and Insanity is a dvd cardio work out program from beach body. I always hear muscle is heavier than fat. Does anyone actually know how long or how to measure how a pound of muscle gain or the science behind it? Also I've been reading others posts and am going to measure my body to track like that also.
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I stopped excersising for a week because I have a pinched nerve in my back that regularly acts up a few times a year since I can remeber. So as not to hurt my self I am stopping until it gets better but staying on my diet. Anyway I have lost 4 pounds since I stopped excersising so I guess I was retaining water from excersise. Thanks for mentioning that I had never heard of that before.
  • txboi687
    txboi687 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What helped me with my weight loss in the beginning was tweaking my eating/drinking habits just a little bit. I was a huge Dr. Pepper drinker and I started drinking more water, now I rarely drink anything else other than water. Instead of fried chicken I bought me a George Foreman grill and started grilling chicken breasts. Simple and small changes really do help. If you go out to eat a lot, choose something from the menu thats alittle healthier (A lot of various restaurants are now putting healthier foods onto their menu). Don't give up, it will take time, but its worth it.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    what helped me was avoiding the scale all together. I truly believe my unsuccessful weight loss ventures was caused by the numbers on the scale. I used to weigh myself every day...sometimes two, three, four times a day...scale would go up a pound, down two pounds, up three pounds, down a pound. It was like all my hard work of dieting was for nothing...I'd figure why even bother if I was going to gain weight anyway.

So, I decided to try weighing just once a week... at the end of week one, I was afraid to step on the scale for fear that it would say I gained, so I chose to postpone that weigh in for another week. At the end of week two, I decided to give it just one more week since week three of any diet is the make-it-break-it week for me... well, needless to say, it is now 11 months later and I've not yet stepped on the scale.

But let me tell you... my clothes say it all... the first day my too-tight jeans fell off my butt was a day I thought I'd never see... those too-tight jeans are long gone and have been replaced with jeans that are now 10 sizes smaller than the largest size I have ever worn. At 58 years old, I am guessing I weigh less than I have ever weighed in my life and very close to weighing 1/2 of my all time high... I am literally 1/2 the woman I used to be!! (or darn close to it). My grown children have NEVER seen me at this size... *I* have never seen myself at this size!

so.. my suggestion is to continue doing what you are doing...just don't weigh yourself until you feel good and ready to do so. Let your clothes be your weight loss monitor. Give it a try for a month and see what happens.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at posts for awhile now on this site. I was an over the road truck driver for 2 years and gained 60 pounds. I am 6 foot 1 inches 291 pounds and 32 years old. I have a local night shift driving job now so I work about 8 hours a day and home everyday. I am eating between 1800 and 1900 calories a day for 21 days. I am doing insanity 3 to 4 days a week. I lost 9 pounds in the first 14 days but in the last 7 days haven't lost any weight. I'm looking for help on how to get the scale moving agian. I have never been this fat or out of shape in my whole life the 2 years I had to do over the road to get experience really made me out of shape. I don't want to loose motivation but you all know it's easy to do so that's why I'm reaching out for advice and support thanks everyone.
    Patience, my friend. You are doing fine. Weight loss is not linear and take time. :smile: