Special K challenge

Options
So I've hit a plateau after months of losing, now I'm fluctuating, and for the last couple months I have been unable to lose that last 7-10 pounds left I set out to lose!

So I decided to try to jump start by trying the "Special K Challenge." For 2 weeks you replace 2 meals a day with Special K cereal, eat healthy snacks, and eat 1 meal as you usually would. Days 1 and 2 went well but after today's lunch of (amazingly delicious) cinnamon pecan I'm hungry for more :-(

Has anyone tried this diet before? Any tips (regarding the plateau or the Challenge)?

Replies

• hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I also usually don't "diet" I've counted calories for almost a year. This is the first gimmicky thing I've decided to try.
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    I think that's the major problem with the Special K Challenge, is that you never really feel satisfied just eating cereal twice a day.

Have you ever tried calorie cycling? Have a couple days a week of high calorie intake, a couple days of very low calorie intake, and the rest your normal routine? Sometimes switching the days up helps jumpstart your metabolism. Often times if I am eating very low calories, then all the sudden I eat a ton one day, it actually revs my metabolism up and I actually drop weight. Interesting concept but it does work (a lot of the times).

Maybe try switching things up like that. A shock to the system might get you going again.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    if your fluctuating, then you are not on a plateau. Since every thing we do is never accurate, you may want to adjust your daily limit down about 200 cals aday.
  • hng2101
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 147 pounds with A LOT of muscle (I was a division 1 athlete, and work out 5 days a week). I just want to get down to 139 (it would just be nice to have be in the 130s I guess). Once I got down to 145, I stopped losing and I've fluctuated between 145 and 150 for about a month now. I've hit a point where I can "maintain" somewhere between 145 and 150, but can't get under 145--that's what I meant by plateau.

I don't think cutting 200 calories out would be healthy because of my workout routine and cutting out 200 calories would cut me down below 1200, which at my height+fitness would put me into starvation mode (not really what I'm going for).

But thanks for the help, if I injure myself (again), I might try that!
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm tellin ya, the cycling works. Give it a try. Over the course of the week you still average out the same calories, it just adjusts how your metabolism works each day.
  • hng2101
    Options
    It would be fun to have an "indulgent" day once or twice a week! I'll give it a try and will let you know how it goes :-)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken the Special K Challenge, as such, but I have incorporated Special K into my diet. I'm not really that much of a cold cereal person, but I find K particularly satisfying and usually have it at least once each day.

Be sure to measure it, though. It's easy to get more than a serving. I eat it out of a two cup measuring cup. LOL. Even one cup with skim milk is only 200 calories.

I am fearful of their position that you can eat anything you want for dinner, though, so I just keep on with whatever weighing and measuring I have been doing.