Anyone else trying to stay away from alcohol?

Options
I know that to achieve my goal, alcohol would be a great thing to avoid. My nutritionist told me that for my size when I have a second glass of wine, I am digesting all of my calories as fat calories, even if they were healthy calories in the first place. Not only that, but I make less careful decisions about what I toss down the hatch after just even one drink and sometimes just tear on a binge.
I get so few calories allotted to each day and am starting to consider this mini-goal a little more seriously. How did you succeed with removing alcohol completely from your routine? How did you struggle?

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the sweet stuff. If you are to have a glass of wine, make it ONE serving, which is normally about 1/4 glass (not cup). I would never tell someone to eliminate something from their diet, it's cruel and unusual punishment. It also makes it harder to stay away from. Just make sure you are aware of what you're putting into your body, calorie wise.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes I have cut out all alcohol time being. I would do well but go out to the bar on the weekend and have 15 drinks, kind of ruins the point of cutting weight lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've had maybe two glasses in the last year. It's just not worth the calories to me.
  • Thistlepopple
    Thistlepopple Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss plan on January 14th, and knew that I'd need to cut out my evening wine in order to stay within my calorie goal and lose weight. It was tough, especially on Friday & Saturday nights, when I wanted to relax and when my husband was enjoying his wine! What I did was stock up on bottles of things like club soda, and flavored water (I like Clear American's Pineapple Coconut flavor especially.) As soon as the urge for a glass of wine hit, I'd pour some sparkling, flavored water into a wine glass and sip that. It helped keep me busy. I also found a good book and went to bed early! That actually did help, because if I stay up late watching TV I want to eat and drink stuff. I was pretty disciplined with that the first few weeks, then I started adding back two glasses of wine on Fri & Sat evenings. Although in the last month I have struggled with motivation, I'd lost around 27 lbs in about 3.5 months, so it definitely worked for me. Good luck!
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know that alcohol has no nutritional value and right now I need my calories to mean something. I look at my Glenlivet and think perhaps I will give myself a taste every 10lbs - I've got 80 to go. Otherwise, I'm going to avoid it until I reach my goal. I've always been a lightweight anyhow, so it isn't much of a sacrifice. I even order 1/2 ales when I go to restaurants! I just like the taste, not the buzz. I think when it gets hot I am going to miss salty dogs, tho! But next year, I will be able to enjoy one without thinking about it hampering my goal. I'll just need to fit it into my calories. I could do that now, sure, but I would have to give up something I'm not willing to at this point.