You say Macros Macros Macros. I hear Marsha Marsha Marsha.

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    My main thought is, "why were you feeding your cat carbohydrates?".
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    The "steak and poptarts" version of IIFYM does not disregard micros.

Poptarts are actually fortified with vitamins and minerals and (some people's issues with 'fortified' foods aside) I dare say they could even help a person reach certain micro levels sometimes.

Not me though, because I don't eat poptarts. So I'm not sure which 'IIFYM' I subscribe to.

The cookies and cake version?
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    What IS IIFYM I thought that this thread would explain it LOL!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

Poptarts are actually fortified with vitamins and minerals and (some people's issues with 'fortified' foods aside) I dare say they could even help a person reach certain micro levels sometimes.

Not me though, because I don't eat poptarts. So I'm not sure which 'IIFYM' I subscribe to.

The cookies and cake version?

I prefer the Chinese Buffet (I pick out the veggies of course) and homemade bread version.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

The cookies and cake and squash version?

Accurate representation of my lifestyle is accurate. I bought some squash for 45 cents a pounds earlier this month and I was eating squash every night for two weeks.

nomnomnom
  • wheird
    What IS IIFYM I thought that this thread would explain it LOL!

Please feel free to go to the link I provided.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    This will be a good thread. I like that gifs will be nostalgic.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Marcia-Brady.jpg

ETA: some text.

Image not meant to snark at the OP.
    IIFYM is more than picking a macro ratio and choosing foods accordingly. It's a method of determining intake based on your stats, activity, and goals. And as others have stated above, it does NOT mean ignoring your micronutrients and eating nothing but steak and poptarts.

This calculator helps to set targets.
    iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I don't follow IIFYM myself because I still prefer MFP's NEAT approach given my highly variable activity level, but I find it helpful to aim for the protein and fat targets within my mostly-kinda-sorta-balanced diet. OP, note that those targets are absolute numbers based on your weight and lean mass -- they're not percentages of intake. We just manipulate the percentages in MFP to hit those targets within our normal calorie range.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    derp_star_trek_jpg_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    My main thought is, "why were you feeding your cat carbohydrates?".

Not to derail my own thread, but he got dry food as a young cat. Then we read that dry food is too low in protein. We switched to canned food a few years ago (he's now 12). The canned food from the vet is higher protein still. The vet says it's genetic, (our other cat, who is 18, is fine), but I'm still hoping it will help. Insulin injections too of course.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    OP, I actually understand what you're saying and I think the way you mentioned you were still going to focus in micronutrients might have gotten a few on defense. I like this link for setting macro targets: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Satiety is important but I would also suggest not over thinking it. Do your best to hit your macros and make adherence easy for you. Over complicating matters is not going to set you up for success. Good luck OP.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    some folks here do. I've had people proclaim there is nothing to consider other than macros.
    That said, most successful folks here aim for a nutrient sense diet with some fun discretionary calories.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Am I the only one to feel as they just ripped a "brain fart"?
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    micros, micros, micros. :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    some folks here do. I've had people proclaim there is nothing to consider other than macros.
    That said, most successful folks here aim for a nutrient sense diet with some fun discretionary calories.

Skeptical.

Did they actually say micros don't matter or did they say 'Micros aren't worth tracking because being deficient in important micros isn't as common as people seem to think' OR 'Meeting ones macros usually involves meeting ones micros by default so there's no reason to be hung up on them' or something like that? Because those are distinctly different from 'disregarding' micros.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Well now I'm too ashamed to eat my steak and pop-tart sandwich. :(
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

Did they actually say micros don't matter or did they say 'Micros aren't worth tracking because being deficient in important micros isn't as common as people seem to think' OR 'Meeting ones macros usually involves meeting ones micros by default so there's no reason to be hung up on them' or something like that? Because those are distinctly different from 'disregarding' micros.

:flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Fwiw, OP, I think I get what you're saying. Best of luck and good luck with the cat.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

:flowerforyou:

This is why I think the emphasis on Pop Tarts and fast food in the forum discussions of IIFYM is misplaced. *ducks and rolls out of thread*
  • wheird

I have never seen this advocated by anyone and if I do I will make sure to correct them.