Sartorius injury? Advice?

Options
_L_A_
_L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
So my right knee started hurting on the 23rd May (last Friday) during a run, over the next few days it continued hurting and the pain spread into the medial/anterior region of my thigh, still just above the knee. Over the next few days it spread up towards my hip. Now, 8 days later, it is very painful just medial to my knee and exactly central at the top of my thigh below my hip. I've assumed it's sartorial and having spoken to a sports masseuse she thinks it may be too.

Anyway, I am setting myself exercise challenges that I'd like to meet so I'd like to know if anyone has injured this muscle before? What did they did to make it better? Also if anyone knows which stretches to do before/after exercise or in general to stretch sartorius out, I'd be really grateful to know of them!

For any generic muscle pain, what do people generally do to get it better? I'm going to rest it tomorrow and if it's still bad go for a sports massage on Monday. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Probably should see a sports doctor / orthopedist if it doesn't improve soon. Anyway, you can stretch your sartorius by extending your hip, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4

Sartorius injuries are pretty rare, but it could happen from forceful extension of the hip, like with sprinting or running downhill. Were you doing either of those?
  • _L_A_
    Options
    Probably should see a sports doctor / orthopedist if it doesn't improve soon. Anyway, you can stretch your sartorius by extending your hip, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4

Sartorius injuries are pretty rare, but it could happen from forceful extension of the hip, like with sprinting or running downhill. Were you doing either of those?

Thanks for the link :) I tried that one earlier, but my technique was not very good going by that video!

I was running at the time, I can't remember where exactly the pain started, I did have uphills and downhills in the route though, and I do put in "sprints" (as in short fast bursts of speed I try to put into my runs, they're probably not fast enough to be sprinting by most peoples' standards!). My left knee had been bothering me from before the run and about half way through I realised that my right knee/leg was hurting too and was hurting much more. Thinking back I vaguely remember thinking that I was exactly half way through my run when I noticed the pain, and that point is a downhill, but can't be too sure that's definitely when it started.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Knee pain that is spreading thru your leg and hasn't subsided in 8 days.

The only challenge you should currently be setting up is the doctor's appointment and Mrs challenge.
  • _L_A_
    Options
    Knee pain that is spreading thru your leg and hasn't subsided in 8 days.

The only challenge you should currently be setting up is the doctor's appointment and Mrs challenge.

Not really sure what my GP would be able to do though, probably suggest a sports massage and come back in another week if it's still not better! I'm going to have a sports massage on Monday and I can speak to the sports therapists there :)

I don't think I've helped myself by continuing to run on it to be honest... hopefully a bit of rest and a massage will do the trick, if not, I'll pop to the GP to see what he/she suggests!
  • lucyploop
    lucyploop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I would suggest seeing your GP, who might be able to refer you.

General advice would be rest, ice, anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, or ibuprofen cream), plenty of sleep.

Hope you feel better soon!