Reading recommendations

Options
TheVirgoddess
TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
I'm a bookworm and in need of recommendations.

I love all genres, but romance is my least favorite.

So, have you read anything decent lately?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for the Fantasy fiction genre would be appreciated. I feel like I'm forever between books.
  • wheird
    Options
    Oh hey, did you know that Tolkien did a translation of Beowulf?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/beowulf-j-r-r-tolkien/1118935267?ean=9780544442788
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a good one, though romance does play a part in it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Any suggestions for the Fantasy fiction genre would be appreciated. I feel like I'm forever between books.

A Song of Ice and Fire (the GoT series), I also enjoyed Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Though I'm guessing you've read both. A less popular one that I really enjoyed is The Deed of Paksenarrion.

Have you checked out Baen books? They are a sci-fi/fantasy publisher and they have a free library of digital books.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a good one, though romance does play a part in it.

Oh yeah, I've read it. It made me ugly cry.

I don't mind a bit of romance in a book, I just don't generally enjoy the heaving breasts and pirates type of stuff.
  • wheird
    Options

A Song of Ice and Fire (the GoT series), I also enjoyed Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Though I'm guessing you've read both. A less popular one that I really enjoyed is The Deed of Paksenarrion.

Have you checked out Baen books? They are a sci-fi/fantasy publisher and they have a free library of digital books.

Read all of the GoT series. I have NEVER read Terry Goodkind or Terry Brooks. In fact, The Sword of Shannara is sitting in front of me as we speak, unopened and unread. :laugh:
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    "What I know about Government, World Affairs and Foreign Policy" by Barak Obama; a very short book.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Also in for book suggestions. It's an older book but I really enjoyed Michael Crichton "Prey". Kinda Sci-fi but good.

And I am not religious but I do sometimes like reading about it. I read these books not long ago called Conversations with God.... they were interesting....

I don't do romance novels either.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Read all of the GoT series. I have NEVER read Terry Goodkind or Terry Brooks. In fact, The Sword of Shannara is sitting in front of me as we speak, unopened and unread. :laugh:

I loved the first one by Terry Goodkind, but the second one just did NOT hold my interest.

Oh another one - the Study Series. It's not an epic fantasy, but it's a well done trilogy.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Also in for book suggestions. It's an older book but I really enjoyed Michael Crichton "Prey". Kinda Sci-fi but good.

And I am not religious but I do sometimes like reading about it. I read these books not long ago called Conversations with God.... they were interesting....

Have you read Pillars of the Earth? I'm not religious either and this is about the building of cathedrals/religion in the 12th century. It's fiction, but it's well researched and fairly accurate to the time period. I loved it.
  • BekkahS1552
    BekkahS1552 Posts: 34
    Options

Thanks for recommending this... I've been debating whether or not to buy it :smile:
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Have you read Pillars of the Earth? I'm not religious either and this is about the building of cathedrals/religion in the 12th century. It's fiction, but it's well researched and fairly accurate to the time period. I loved it.

I have not... :) Thanks..... sounds interesting.
  • HalfwayGone
    HalfwayGone Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm reading game of thrones at the minute..
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    One of the best series I've ever read (GoT).

Anyone willing to share their top 5/10 so I can get some new picks?
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss was excellent as was The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson although this is a huge series. One of my other favourites is Stephen Kings Dark Tower series.
  • Smirnoff65
    Options

The series I have mentioned in the post above are all very good reads, I would also recommend Wilbur Smyth's 'Egyptian' series, do read your books the tradional way or ebooks?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

The series I have mentioned in the post above are all very good reads, I would also recommend Wilbur Smyth's 'Egyptian' series, do read your books the tradional way or ebooks?

Ebooks generally. I tried to read the Dark Tower series and couldn't get into it - I'll try again (King is one of my very favorite authors.)
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    I'm reading game of thrones at the minute..

Fantastic series just wish he would get his finger out and get the next one finished, I'm going to re-read them all in the run-up to the next release just to get a feel for them again. I'm watching the TV series and doubting myself as to certain things happening although I realise they have been changing things around.
  • Smirnoff65
    Options

Have sent you a friend request there
    Ebooks generally. I tried to read the Dark Tower series and couldn't get into it - I'll try again (King is one of my very favorite authors.)
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    ^Virgoddess

I'm a King fan as well. His son, Joe Hill, has a similar style and reminds me of King's earlier works. NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box were entertaining.