On Psychotropic medications

Options
Hi im 5'2 and 135 pounds, 23 years old... Im on psychotropic medications because of a mental health issue. Haldol, celexa, trazodone, ambien and xanax. Since im short my goal weight is 105 about. Before the medications I was 105. The thing is when i first started the medication in august 2013 i gained 15 pounds in 6 months and then in february of this year (2014) unfortunately gained 10 pounds in 1 month. Its been 3 months now that ive stayed in the 130s. Surely it cant be that hard and take too much longer to lose what i gained. I mean i gained 10 pounds in 1 month. I know i cant expect to lose 10 pounds in 1 month. but would it take a year to lose this 30 pounds? Another problem im having it my appetite, Its very hard for me to eat more than 500-800 calories. Also, I never considered myself to have an eating disorder. I just dont feel hungry a lot.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Would it take a year to lose 30 lbs? If you want to keep it off, probably.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Many medications like those cause water retention. To gain that much that fast, I am thinking the majority of your weight is water. Talk to your doctor about things you can do to minimize the side effects.

Other than that, your best bet is calorie counting to make sure you are not eating too much. Some of those medications also can cause an increase in appetite, or a decrease in how much you move around, fidget, etc.
  • eathealthy88
    Options
    Hard to say .. as I am still trying to lose the weight... I was 163 (but it looked more like 200 lbs) and used to be 115. I'm 5'7. Right now I'm 139. Some of it will come off once you quit. I know it was the medication because I gained the weight within a month and was basically overweight for awhile. By the way, I even tried to lose weight on it but it didn't work, no matter what I did. Maybe switch to a different one but I think they all cause weight gain.