Metabolism, exercise and losing wieght

Options
So, I posted a post similar to this last week, but I want to re write it with more information...and a thicker skin :) I will admit, I don't do much in forums and I was a bit taken aback by unhelpful comments, but I am back with girded loins. Enough about my loins. This is long, but may be interesting to you fitness buffs out there and I would appeeciate any advice.
Me= female, 34 yo, 5'8", 152lb, goal weight 145 (not just a random #, it was my pre baby weight) body fat around 20 (this is an estimate, I am getting it checked by caliber in 2 weeks).

I work with both a dietician (RD, MS) and a trainer. Both have tested my metabolism a total of 3 times using different machines, but at the same times under identical conditions (first thing In the morning, fasted, relaxed). One of the tests I took at the trainer's place showed a crazy # (2250) which my dietician said was wonky. The other two showed a result of 1850. Meaning, if I just lay in bed all day, I burn 1850. You can assume I burn about 400-500 doing daily activities (actually, the computer suggested I burn more like 700, but I don't buy that). I know these machines are not perfect, but they are fairly accurate and the fact that two machines show the same result is significant. Now we get to the exercise portion.... I average about 575 calories a day in exercise (this is an average taken over 7 days, I usually have one high day, about 1000 and one rest day). My cardio is vigorous. I run pretty fast, around 8:15 on longer runs, plus one day of speed work. I also do weights. I have tried eating 1825 without eating back exercise, and I didn't lose weight. I have tried eating more, like around 2200, and didn't lose weight. So just telling me, you're not in a calorie deficit is useless, because I have been in at least one of these scenarios, if not both.

My dietician has a theory that working out so much and so hard does not agree with my body. Also, she told me to up my calories to about 2500 a day. For the record, she did not suggest this approach until today, when she saw my metabolism results for herself this morning. She knows this machine and trusts it...and I trust her. So, have any female athlete-types experience something similar? Stalled weight loss from overtraining? Is this a thing?

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I remember your previous post. I am glad you are trying again. I am certainly not one to give advice, but thought I would bump it for you. Good luck.
  • katykat79
    katykat79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I remember your previous post. I am glad you are trying again. I am certainly not one to give advice, but thought I would bump it for you. Good luck.
    That's sweet, thank you! My husband told me not to be a baby...lol....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    So, I posted a post similar to this last week, but I want to re write it with more information...and a thicker skin :) I will admit, I don't do much in forums and I was a bit taken aback by unhelpful comments, but I am back with girded loins. Enough about my loins. This is long, but may be interesting to you fitness buffs out there and I would appeeciate any advice.
    Me= female, 34 yo, 5'8", 152lb, goal weight 145 (not just a random #, it was my pre baby weight) body fat around 20 (this is an estimate, I am getting it checked by caliber in 2 weeks).

I work with both a dietician (RD, MS) and a trainer. Both have tested my metabolism a total of 3 times using different machines, but at the same times under identical conditions (first thing In the morning, fasted, relaxed). One of the tests I took at the trainer's place showed a crazy # (2250) which my dietician said was wonky. The other two showed a result of 1850. Meaning, if I just lay in bed all day, I burn 1850. You can assume I burn about 400-500 doing daily activities (actually, the computer suggested I burn more like 700, but I don't buy that). I know these machines are not perfect, but they are fairly accurate and the fact that two machines show the same result is significant. Now we get to the exercise portion.... I average about 575 calories a day in exercise (this is an average taken over 7 days, I usually have one high day, about 1000 and one rest day). My cardio is vigorous. I run pretty fast, around 8:15 on longer runs, plus one day of speed work. I also do weights. I have tried eating 1825 without eating back exercise, and I didn't lose weight. I have tried eating more, like around 2200, and didn't lose weight. So just telling me, you're not in a calorie deficit is useless, because I have been in at least one of these scenarios, if not both.

My dietician has a theory that working out so much and so hard does not agree with my body. Also, she told me to up my calories to about 2500 a day. For the record, she did not suggest this approach until today, when she saw my metabolism results for herself this morning. She knows this machine and trusts it...and I trust her. So, have any female athlete-types experience something similar? Stalled weight loss from overtraining? Is this a thing?
    It's true that vigorous exercise can stall weight loss due the retention of higher amounts of water and glycogen that the body assumes it needs to store for the next session and repair of muscle.
    So IMO, screw the scale. Pay more attention to body composition and how your clothes fit. Because if you look the way you want, fit the clothes you want, and look great, then does what the scale say really matter?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Niner...I wish there was a like button for your comment. I too have been exercising quite a bit and didnt lose weight the first few weeks. It took time for my body to get used to it and then I started losing weight. The scale really doesnt matter in the long run. If your clothes are fitting better, you know you are going in the right direction. I personally LOVE having the extra energy exercise gives me. Good luck!!!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I think your dietician has a ridiculous theory. Perhaps you have a lower body fat than you think and have gained muscle, which would make your goal weight unrealistic.
  • katykat79
    katykat79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

It's true that vigorous exercise can stall weight loss due the retention of higher amounts of water and glycogen that the body assumes it needs to store for the next session and repair of muscle.
    So IMO, screw the scale. Pay more attention to body composition and how your clothes fit. Because if you look the way you want, fit the clothes you want, and look great, then does what the scale say really matter?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Thanks for the comment! I agree about not necessarily caring what the scale says, however, I definitely have some fat hanging around the belly area and it seems like that is where the last bit of extra weight hangs out...since I was devastated to find out that you can't spot reduce, I figured losing weight is the only answer....