Heart rate monitor?

Options
Ok.. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm considering a HRM..

Which is a good one? What's a good price? Etc...

Thanks in advance!! Much appreciation.

Replies

• rshunk
    rshunk Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I got myself one last week, a Polar FT4 at Target for around $96. I really like it but it is also my first one so I really have nothing to compare it to! I did do some research online first and it looks like the Polar ones are pretty good and get good reviews. The watch/monitor part is bigger than anything I would normally wear, but I prefer the little dainty watches, bracelets and such! Good luck and happy shopping!:wink:
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Polar, Suunto, Timex and Garmin are generally regarded as the top brands. If all you want is something to measure HR and estimate calories burned the Polar FT4 or FT6 are good options. Don't get suckered into buying an expensive one that does more than you'll use it for.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Yeah I'm just looking for one to measure calories burned. Thanks!
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing with an HRM - pay the extra money and get one with a chest strap - they are (generally) far more accurate than the wrist only units. (Because they are actually measuring....YOUR HEART!) Ta daa!! Right...sorry...a little crazed today! ^_^

Polar makes some really nice stuff, I had one then swapped to a garmin forerunner because I wanted the GPS for running outside - I have enjoyed both of them - the really basic polar is listed on their US site for about $70 - and yes, the watch portion is generally a bit larger than any normal thing I'd wear, but that means I can read it while I am moving without having to try much, and it is not THAT huge.

I honestly have not played around with any other brands besides those two so I am of limited use, but Polar is great, and if you tend to use some of the cardio equipment in the gyms - a lot of them will synch to the chest strap as well, giving you a far more accurate idea of what you are burning. (Kind of an added bonus!)

Good luck!
  • lisabee123
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar F6 and it comes in pink. :) I wear it with every workout. I had it on the other day when I went to the Dr and my pulse was exactly what they counted. What ever you choose get one with a chest strap. Good luck.
  • andipanda
    Options
    Hey Posh, I've got a couple POLAR monitors. But don't have one that estimates the calories. That's next. I love mine, have had them for years. IF and when you ever need to change the batteries, you should send them back to the company. They are fast. If you try to change the battery yourself, it will break the waterproof seal.
    Good luck.
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    Biggest thing with an HRM - pay the extra money and get one with a chest strap - they are (generally) far more accurate than the wrist only units. (Because they are actually measuring....YOUR HEART!) Ta daa!! Right...sorry...a little crazed today! ^_^

Polar makes some really nice stuff, I had one then swapped to a garmin forerunner because I wanted the GPS for running outside - I have enjoyed both of them - the really basic polar is listed on their US site for about $70 - and yes, the watch portion is generally a bit larger than any normal thing I'd wear, but that means I can read it while I am moving without having to try much, and it is not THAT huge.

I honestly have not played around with any other brands besides those two so I am of limited use, but Polar is great, and if you tend to use some of the cardio equipment in the gyms - a lot of them will synch to the chest strap as well, giving you a far more accurate idea of what you are burning. (Kind of an added bonus!)

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to check out Ebay and see if I can find one for a deal. I'm going to ask my hubby for this for Christmas! I love the idea that it can sync with the gym cardio machines. I hope it works for me at the YMCA. Thanks again!
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar F6 and it comes in pink. :) I wear it with every workout. I had it on the other day when I went to the Dr and my pulse was exactly what they counted. What ever you choose get one with a chest strap. Good luck.

That's cool that you tested it out at the Dr. Office. Thanks for the tip. So does the F6 count calories as well? THANKS!
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    Hey Posh, I've got a couple POLAR monitors. But don't have one that estimates the calories. That's next. I love mine, have had them for years. IF and when you ever need to change the batteries, you should send them back to the company. They are fast. If you try to change the battery yourself, it will break the waterproof seal.
    Good luck.

OHHHHH....THANKS so much for letting me know about the battery. Thats a huge tip! I'd hate to mess the thing up.
  • junedunebug
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 a week ago and it's been amazing. It has a chest strap that you don't even notice you're wearing once your moving and a wristband that is a pretty coral color. It tells your heart rate, the time you've been exercising, the actual time, as well as your calories burned. If you're logging on MFP you still have to subtract your resting calories but it's that's more motivation to move your butt a little bit more to make up for that. :)

I really love mine because I can wear it for anything and it'll give me an accurate reading of my calories burned. That's why I got it. I wore it this morning for my walk and burned over 500 calories in a little over an hour, and I wasn't even pushing myself. It helps you realize exactly what you're burning so it's a great motivational tool for me.

I bought mine on Amazon for a little over $80. My dad has Amazon Prime so the shipping was free. It came in like two days, which was really nice because I was super excited to start using it. I'm going to wear it to my yoga class later to see how much I burn then!

Good luck!
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 a week ago and it's been amazing. It has a chest strap that you don't even notice you're wearing once your moving and a wristband that is a pretty coral color. It tells your heart rate, the time you've been exercising, the actual time, as well as your calories burned. If you're logging on MFP you still have to subtract your resting calories but it's that's more motivation to move your butt a little bit more to make up for that. :)

I really love mine because I can wear it for anything and it'll give me an accurate reading of my calories burned. That's why I got it. I wore it this morning for my walk and burned over 500 calories in a little over an hour, and I wasn't even pushing myself. It helps you realize exactly what you're burning so it's a great motivational tool for me.

I bought mine on Amazon for a little over $80. My dad has Amazon Prime so the shipping was free. It came in like two days, which was really nice because I was super excited to start using it. I'm going to wear it to my yoga class later to see how much I burn then!

Good luck!

Cool !! THanks...so I'm guessing at the end of the day when you see your total calories burnt, you just subtract the 1365 calories that MFP allots me for the day? Is that how I would do it ?? THANKS!! I'm so excited to get one!
  • ahoward76
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this. I am considering one myself. I've also heard great things about the Polar FT7. I saw it at Target for $96. Hoping I get it in my stocking!! hehe Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the polar from all the great stuff I hear! :)
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this. I am considering one myself. I've also heard great things about the Polar FT7. I saw it at Target for $96. Hoping I get it in my stocking!! hehe Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the polar from all the great stuff I hear! :)

Don't know if you shop there or not, but Ebay has some deals I just saw. I am going to ask my hubby for this!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Cool !! THanks...so I'm guessing at the end of the day when you see your total calories burnt, you just subtract the 1365 calories that MFP allots me for the day? Is that how I would do it ?? THANKS!! I'm so excited to get one!

Once you enter in the exercise calories in the cadrio section, mfp adjusts the remaining calories for you.

I have a Reebox Precision hrm and I like it a lot. It's about $70-$80 or so.
  • jtinker2010
    Options
    I bought one at Walmart for $25. It is awesome and waterproof. I wouldn't spend tons of money on a HRM system. You can enter your workouts in myfitnesspal and tweek the minutes to match your HRM. It's actually pretty close though.