How to deal with a cheat day?

Options
This is my 30th consecutive day of counting calories. I haven't gone over my goal yet, though I have been eating almost all of my favourite foods. I haven't felt the need or desire for a cheat day when I can fit a chocolate bar or a glass of wine into my calories every day I feel like it.

However, I'm going over to a friend's place tonight where I know that I will likely drink and snack and go considerably over my calorie goal. I am fundamentally okay with this as I haven't had more than two drinks in a night since starting this and the whole point of the night is destressing.

I'm wondering how others deal with a cheat day in terms of logging and restrictions?

- Do you set a limit (i.e. above your calorie goal but below maintenance, or something)?
- Do you log everything?
- Do you adjust the rest of your week to make up for it?
- Does it greatly impact your weightloss?

I know this is different for everyone, I just wanted some context.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i try to not go over maintenance if its a planned cheat, but really one day of eating whatever has very little impact. i often dont log weekends, and am still making progress

just continue forward after like it never happened
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This is my 30th consecutive day of counting calories. I haven't gone over my goal yet, though I have been eating almost all of my favourite foods. I haven't felt the need or desire for a cheat day when I can fit a chocolate bar or a glass of wine into my calories every day I feel like it.

However, I'm going over to a friend's place tonight where I know that I will likely drink and snack and go considerably over my calorie goal. I am fundamentally okay with this as I haven't had more than two drinks in a night since starting this and the whole point of the night is destressing.

I'm wondering how others deal with a cheat day in terms of logging and restrictions?

- Do you set a limit (i.e. above your calorie goal but below maintenance, or something)?
    - Do you log everything?

I have heard of people taking all the calories that they went under their goal by for the week and allowing themselves to go no more than that many calories over on their cheat day. So if you were under by 100 calories for each of the last 6 days, then you'd get an extra 600 calories (max!) to go in the red on the 7th day. I wouldn't do it every week, but it might work for you this evening.

I have personally only had one cheat day. I still logged and I stayed below maintenance, but I have to say it's kind of depressing to keep going deeper and deeper in the red. I think it makes sense if you have a limit to how far you go in the red, though. I didn't -- I was just upset because I'd forgotten to wear my fitbit and so I had no idea what my true calorie burn was and said, "*kitten* it, I've never taken a cheat day, so I guess today's the day." I wish I would have thought to do the "count up how many you went under from the last 6 days" thing. I would have felt more secure in my choice.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Even if I know I'm cheating, I still want to be honest with myself on what I'm eating. I think it would also help weeks down the road if you want to look back to compare your food and progress.

So far in my weight loss journey, I haven't reduced calories the rest of the week to make up for a cheat day. I just acknowledge it happened, enjoy the food, and get back on track the next day. For a sustainable diet, you have to cheat sometimes or you'll go crazy.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    No matter what you choose, log it! You never want to get in the habit of not logging. I would try to stay within you TDEE.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my cheat day and log everything, and ignore the big red "over calories" sign. Cheats are there for a reason, which is enjoyment, not to torture yourself over. Day after cheat, carry on as normal, and continue logging everything.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would just give myself the day off but not go nuts. Commit yourself to one drink or two drinks or whatever, and enjoy the snacks but don't go overboard. Then log everything. I cringe when I see all the stats in red, but it helps to look at the reality as a point of reference for next time.

Days like this don't have a lasting effect and the scale is often the same the next day, so I don't alter the rest of my week. Congrats on 30 days!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do all depending on the situation. If it's a sudden event I try to add a few more minutes to my exercise that day and eat at maintenance. If I fail to, no big deal.

If it's a planned event I "bank" calories for a week, eating 100 calories less and exercising a bit more while keeping track of how many calories I banked every day and see what it adds up to. This makes it possible to eat whatever I want on the day of the event because I would have that day's maintenance plus the banked calories adding up to a pretty decent limit that almost feels unlimited.

In all cases I log everything and enjoy my time regardless, whither I hit my set limit or not.

To be honest, every day is a potential "cheat day" for me because I don't have a hard limit. I just eat between 1000 and my maintenance, depending on hunger/business/cravings/available foods on any particular day. I do have a soft limit of 1500 that I try to hover around when possible, but it's not set in stone for me.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would aim to get in 30-60 minutes of cardio (great for de-stressing) and eat lighter earlier in the day so as to accommodate this indulgence without the need for cheating.
    log everything
    Of course. Otherwise you won't know how big a hole you dug
    does it greatly impact your weightloss
    It depends how much you go over. Every 3500 calories is an extra pound, so a few indulgent hours is unlikely to ruin your weak. Of course, if you really, really indulge it might. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    By the way, expect to gain a few pounds the next day. Don't let that bug you because unless you managed 5000 calories that day, it's not real weight gain and it will melt away within a few days.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    By the way, expect to gain a few pounds the next day.
    Yup! This happens due to water retention if the extra calories involve extra sodium. With alcohol you typically see the opposite--a drop the next day due to dehydration, followed by a gain once you rehydrate.
  • ssmaling
    ssmaling Posts: 83 Member
    Options

- Do you log everything?

I just read an article by Chris and Heidi Powell and they say 1000 calories over your usual every day amount, but to stay away from trigger foods that will cause you to binge. :)
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I wouldn't cheat on logging but if you're going to indulge a little enjoy it. It won't kill you.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! :)

I think I'm going to prelog my alcohol and then adjust that as needed, that way I'll be able to put my snacking into perspective. (I really prefer wine to junk food like chips anyhow....)
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I deal with a "cheat" day by going back to normal the following day. like memorial day i celebrated my friends birthday with his family, had a mess of spare ribs, and all the sides, along with dessert and beers. went back to my schedule the next day. took me 3 days to get back down where i was previous on the scale but im still on pace to lose 2lbs this week with that off day.
    I've learned to not beat myself up for those days, they're going to happen, im not going to not enjoy myself every once in awhile for a special occasion, thats not realistic for my long term success. i just have to deal with it and move on.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it thoroughly and proceed as normal the next day.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i refuse to ever call anything a "cheat" day. Like I'm somehow breaking someone's rules and doing something "wrong". All it is is an occasional day where I choose to eat more/differently than my usual. If I want to go to a potluck and load up on 3 plates and 10,000 calories of every calorie dense food at the table that's not me "cheating" anything. I'm just deciding to eat way more than i usually eat because there's a delicious array of things available that i would never bother to make for myself, so gosh darn it i'm going to try every single one. I have yet to see that cause any problems for my weight loss.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you have any tendency towards binging, I would not do a cheat day. I think it's really better to eat any food you want but still log and try to keep under a certain limit.
    It's not entirely possible to lose a good week's hard work from one crazy cheat day.
    I also have a hard time getting back with the program, partly because when I cook things like molten lava cake, it leaves dangerous leftovers in the fridge.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options

- Do you log everything?

I just read an article by Chris and Heidi Powell and they say 1000 calories over your usual every day amount, but to stay away from trigger foods that will cause you to binge. :)
    Wow! That sound perfect. Way better than losing control and eating 10,000 calories! Thanks!
  • katrishamaile
    katrishamaile Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you set a limit (i.e. above your calorie goal but below maintenance, or something)?
    -I have very irregular timing of my cheat days and have a lot of time in between them, so I do not set a calorie limit to mine.
    Do you log everything?
    -Yes, because even if my food log isn't accurate, my body knows. Therefore, I'd rather my food log be on track. AND I do not want my counter to start over by skipping a day!
    Do you adjust the rest of your week to make up for it?
    -Yes and no, as I mentioned above, I do not limit my cheat days, but as long as I've got a week-long deficit, I'm pretty satisfied even if a day or two goes into the red.
    Does it greatly impact your weight loss?
    -I feel like it does impact my weight loss, but in a completely positive way. I am much more likely to stay on track if I allow things I really want into my diet. This is a "life-style change" and I do not want to strictly avoid super yummy things. By allowing them in moderation I can continue to loose weight.