Vegan protein

Options

Replies

• Khankimba
    Khankimba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't generally like fake meats, but the Beyond Meat chickenless strips are soo good and they give me 10 grams of protein in a serving. This product has really helped me get my protein in. Another great thing about it is that no one in my family can tell that it's not chicken! So I can make salads, burritos and sandwiches using it for everyone with no complaints from the omnivores.
  • thezzz
    thezzz Posts: 14
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of TVP, until I went soy free.
    Fake meat freaks me out. Too much like my memory of meat...I end up gagging when I take a bite of it.

I did, however, just make the perfect ration breakfast... cooked 1-1/2 servings rolled oats with a banana, 1/4 cup raisins, 3 tbsp. hemp seeds, and then put in cinnamon and 1/4 cup almond milk.

Duh...forgot about hemp seeds being a great protein source, and had some in my fridge.
  • karenburnsbot
    karenburnsbot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with hemp powder in my smoothies. Good luck!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like Garden of Life Raw Protein powder – it is a vegan complete protein powder and it comes in a few flavors. Great not just for smoothies but in other recipes. You can use it in recipes for protein bars/balls and in oatmeal. I find Pinterest has quite a few recipes and most can be easily veganized with a few changes.

To echo some others on here, I am also a fan of seitan, lentils and I am a chickpea-aholic.
  • marilonely1
    Options
    I found this protein shake from Innutra made from peas and is sooooo good, I drink it with almond or coconut milk .. it's called sculpt . look into it
    I found it . www.tinyurl.com/innutrahealth good luck !!
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    Ignore protein. It is the biggest myth in all of nutrition. It is near impossible to not get enough protein if you are getting enough calories.

A human baby will grow 300% in its first two years of life consuming only mothers milk. Human breast milk is around 4.5% protein by calories. Never in your life will you need more protein then in your first two years of life.

In summer, I eat almost entirely raw fruits and vegetables. My protein intake is usually 7% or 8% by calories and it is very difficult to get anything less than this unless you really try hard. I weigh 190 pounds and I am 5'10" I have around 13-14% body fat. I have no problem at all putting on and keeping muscle.

I am a vegan nutritionist, and I am always given supplements and protein powders to try. I have tried dozens upon dozens and I have seen no difference at all in body composition. I only notice that I run out of energy quicker because I am substituting carbs for protein.

I have yet to see any studies that support a need for more protein in any human beyond that which is in a whole-foods, plant-based diet.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you don't do Soy even if cancer is not in your familey you should not do soy its so bad for you . Are you allergic to Gluten or just sensitive ? Can you have almonds or sesame seeds ? i make a really good bar that has almond butter and almonds gluten free oats and quinoa coconut and seseme seeds in it and some honey go on Pinterest they have so many good recipes.
    I don't do soy....as I said in an earlier post, breast cancer in family history. Also to peanuts and wheat. I have not found a vegan soy/peanut/wheat-free bar that has much of a protein content. Know of any?

The only energy/protein bars I've found that are vegan are Lara bars and Clif bars, but unfortunately I don't think they make any that would be suitable for you. You have a fairly limited diet so you might be best off making your own, there are tons of recipes online for all sorts of energy bars that should fit just about any diet. The good news, though, is that even if you don't find something that works, protein bars aren't a necessary part of a vegan diet. I've never had to rely on them for nutritional purposes but I've found they're often the most appealing choice as far as vegan candy goes haha.
    [/quote]
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ignore protein. It is the biggest myth in all of nutrition. It is near impossible to not get enough protein if you are getting enough calories.

A human baby will grow 300% in its first two years of life consuming only mothers milk. Human breast milk is around 4.5% protein by calories. Never in your life will you need more protein then in your first two years of life.

In summer, I eat almost entirely raw fruits and vegetables. My protein intake is usually 7% or 8% by calories and it is very difficult to get anything less than this unless you really try hard. I weigh 190 pounds and I am 5'10" I have around 13-14% body fat. I have no problem at all putting on and keeping muscle.

I am a vegan nutritionist, and I am always given supplements and protein powders to try. I have tried dozens upon dozens and I have seen no difference at all in body composition. I only notice that I run out of energy quicker because I am substituting carbs for protein.

I have yet to see any studies that support a need for more protein in any human beyond that which is in a whole-foods, plant-based diet.

Thank you!!
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    Soy: GMO soy is bad. GMO anything is bad. Soy is extremely healthful. There has never been ANY link to soy and breast cancer or any cancer at all. If anything, soy is protective against cancer. If you are worried about the phytoestrogens in soy, you shouldn't eat any beans, most nuts and seeds, carrots, onions, broccoli, or even beer. The war against soy is propaganda from the meat and dairy industry because an increase in soy consumption caused soy prices to increase which made it more expensive to feed to cows, and soy was also being used to replaced many meat and dairy products.

And dairy contains REAL estrogen and has been strongly linked to cancer growth, but people will chose dairy over soy. This is the power of propaganda.
  • larcybelle
    Options

Yes, this is absolutely true and glad you raised the point. In fact the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that men and women obtain 5% of their calories as protein. This would mean 38 grams of protein for a man burning 3000 calories a day and 29 grams for a woman using 2300 calories a day. This quantity of protein is impossible to avoid when daily calorie needs are met by unrefined starches and vegetables. For example, rice alone would provide 71 grams of highly useable protein and white potatoes would provide 64 grams of protein
  • thezzz
    Options
    Glad to hear you don't do Soy even if cancer is not in your familey you should not do soy its so bad for you . Are you allergic to Gluten or just sensitive ? Can you have almonds or sesame seeds ? i make a really good bar that has almond butter and almonds gluten free oats and quinoa coconut and seseme seeds in it and some honey go on Pinterest they have so many good recipes.
    I don't do soy....as I said in an earlier post, breast cancer in family history. Also to peanuts and wheat. I have not found a vegan soy/peanut/wheat-free bar that has much of a protein content. Know of any?

The only energy/protein bars I've found that are vegan are Lara bars and Clif bars, but unfortunately I don't think they make any that would be suitable for you. You have a fairly limited diet so you might be best off making your own, there are tons of recipes online for all sorts of energy bars that should fit just about any diet. The good news, though, is that even if you don't find something that works, protein bars aren't a necessary part of a vegan diet. I've never had to rely on them for nutritional purposes but I've found they're often the most appealing choice as far as vegan candy goes haha.
    [/quote]

I'm allergic to grass, and wheat is a grass. A nurse practitioner about 25 years ago suggested I eliminate it from my diet, and I managed to get off my asthma drugs due to the dietary changes (also eliminated mushrooms).
    Now, when I eat it, it is on a rare occasion. If I eat it often, I start to wheeze, and I get what I call a wheat rash around my mouth....red blotched (not hives)
  • thezzz
    Options
    Soy: GMO soy is bad. GMO anything is bad. Soy is extremely healthful. There has never been ANY link to soy and breast cancer or any cancer at all. If anything, soy is protective against cancer. If you are worried about the phytoestrogens in soy, you shouldn't eat any beans, most nuts and seeds, carrots, onions, broccoli, or even beer. The war against soy is propaganda from the meat and dairy industry because an increase in soy consumption caused soy prices to increase which made it more expensive to feed to cows, and soy was also being used to replaced many meat and dairy products.

And dairy contains REAL estrogen and has been strongly linked to cancer growth, but people will chose dairy over soy. This is the power of propaganda.

Interesting. I hear that in small amounts, it is okay, especially if it is fermented, like they do it in Asian countries. But that the huge amounts that Americans consume it is bad.
    My sister saw a holistic nutritionist (post her 3rd bout with cancer) who suggested she avoid it.
  • thezzz
    Options

I notice that if my protein intake is low, I get very tired very quickly. My work is such that I need my strength...I'm a massage therapist...I cannot be sluggish and give a good session.
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    I don't have any problem at all... I eat beans, quinoa, kashi go lean, tofu, soy cheeses, homemade veggie burgers, etc.
    But if you are having a problem, you can get soy based (or rice, etc based) protein drinks that are vegan and include those in your vegan smoothies too especially if you are body building! I am only eating 60 of protein a day. If you know what your lean body mass is, you can calculate it and it definitely is much less than a lot of people are getting a day.
    Regarding paranoia on the web regarding soy foods
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA326575

Q
    Rethinking Soy?
    Your last articles about soy were written almost two years ago. Since that time, there appears to be more evidence that soy should be avoided with the exception of properly fermented products, like miso and tempeh. Have you changed your opinion?

A
    Answer (Published 3/12/2004)
    I'm aware of Internet paranoia on the subject of soy and the contention that only fermented soy is safe to consume. That is simply not true. Some of the best forms of soy - edamame, tofu and soy nuts - are unfermented and are much more likely to help you than hurt you.

Related Weil Products
    Dr. Weil's Spontaneous Happiness for Your Healthy Body - It's the journey not the destination. Make each day count, with an outlook that is both serene and inspired. Dr. Weil's new website, SpontaneousHappiness.com, has everything you need to get on the path to optimal well-being including recipes, checklists and exclusive tools to track your walking. Learn more, start your 10-day free trial now.
    Claims that unfermented soy foods (such as tofu and soy milk) contain toxins that block the action of enzymes needed to digest protein, and that these toxins cause pancreatic enlargement, cancer and stunted growth in animals are misleading. While soy does contain substances (trypsin inhibitors) that may adversely affect the pancreas in animals, there's no solid evidence that they cause similar problems in humans. Furthermore, trypsin inhibitors are found in all of the vegetables of the cabbage family as well as in beans other than soy.

Other concerns about soy safety focus on the following issues:

Breast cancer: Here, the idea is that high levels of isoflavones, active ingredients in soy that behave like estrogen in the body, may increase the risk of breast cancer. While high levels of isolated isoflavones may do so, it appears that the total mix of weak plant estrogens in soy protects the body's estrogen receptors. This protection may reduce the effects of excess estrogen exposure from such external sources as meats and dairy products from hormone-treated cows as well as artificial chemicals and industrial pollutants that act as foreign estrogens. Japanese women whose diets contain a lot of soy foods have only one-fifth the rate of breast cancer that occurs among Western women.
    Thyroid Problems: Excess consumption of soy can affect thyroid function, but only if you have a thyroid disorder to begin with or if you're not getting enough iodine in your diet (a rare deficiency in the United States). If you take medication for hypothyroidism (low thyroid), and are concerned about the effect of eating two daily servings of soy, have your thyroid levels checked regularly.
    Mineral absorption: The idea that substances in soy called phytates block absorption of essential minerals is also in circulation, but there is no scientific data suggesting that soy consumption leads to mineral deficiency in humans.
    All told, based on the evidence to date, I see no reason to worry about eating soy foods, whether fermented or not. I still recommend consuming one to two servings of soy per day, an amount equivalent to one cup of soy milk, or one half cup of tofu, soy protein (tempeh) or soy nuts.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Beans, beans and beans. Cliff bars, nuts and seeds. Any leafy green. I too have this problem, but I also think that the protein guidelines are inflated. I get roughly 65 grams per day. You may be younger and need more. There are protein powders without soy at most all Natural Food Stores. Look at labels caefully though.

Good luck, and nice to meet you fellow plant based eater!
  • VeganCappy
    Options

Interesting. I hear that in small amounts, it is okay, especially if it is fermented, like they do it in Asian countries. But that the huge amounts that Americans consume it is bad.
    My sister saw a holistic nutritionist (post her 3rd bout with cancer) who suggested she avoid it.

Yes, and cancer rates in Asian countries are much lower than in "Westernized" nations. There is so much misinformation about it that most practitioners will tell people to avoid it purely for liability reasons. However, there is zero evidence that soy increases cancer rates, and a lot of evidence to suggest it actually reduces cancer rates.
  • seashel812
    seashel812 Posts: 25
    Options

Yes, and cancer rates in Asian countries are much lower than in "Westernized" nations. There is so much misinformation about it that most practitioners will tell people to avoid it purely for liability reasons. However, there is zero evidence that soy increases cancer rates, and a lot of evidence to suggest it actually reduces cancer rates.
    what about soy being a goitrogen
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options

I would like to hit a "like" button for you!:)
  • VeganCappy
    Options

I notice that if my protein intake is low, I get very tired very quickly. My work is such that I need my strength...I'm a massage therapist...I cannot be sluggish and give a good session.

I can guarantee you that it is not the protein. Protein does not increase strength unless you stress the muscles over time and allow the protein to rebuild. Eating more protein simply does nothing for the muscles and is actually bad for the body because it has to excrete it. The body doesn't even like using protein for energy unless it has no other choice.

I would guess that it is more about overall calories as vegan protein sources are usually very high in calories when compared to fruits and vegetables. Try eating more and see if that does the trick.

There may also be a psychological aspect. A few studies done with athletes showed that when given a smoothie and told it had protein powder, the participants claimed they felt stronger after consuming it despite whether it actually had protein powder or not.
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    Beans, beans and beans. Cliff bars, nuts and seeds. Any leafy green. I too have this problem, but I also think that the protein guidelines are inflated. I get roughly 65 grams per day. You may be younger and need more. There are protein powders without soy at most all Natural Food Stores. Look at labels caefully though.

Good luck, and nice to meet you fellow plant based eater!

Gas, gas, gas. You wouldn't want to be around me after beans:)

They are highly inflated. Like most guidelines, they are listed for the worse case scenario. For example, someone with an absorption problem. But that is so extremely rare, we all shouldn't be adjusting our diets to compensate for that tiny faction of the population. If someone has it, they have probably been identified at a young age.