How do you reward yourself for weightloss?

Options
I am thinking of giving my selfs *treats* if you will for weight loss. A little motivation to keep me going... I have some ideas *NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOD..

What are yours?

Replies

• oddzki
    oddzki Posts: 10
    Options
    You realize that being overweight is not an option and every day you look in the mirror to see the progress you've worked so hard for. Your body is your reward.

Treats shouldn't be needed, but if you need something concrete too look forward to, a good tip is to start a bet with someone who's also looking to loose weight. IE both should loose x LBS by x Date, or else you'll have to pay x or do x.

Then you also have someone to share thoughts and ideas with during the journey.

This is entirely not needed, but some people may find it easier when being pressured a little bit.

I view my training and diet like work. I just don't skip a work day because I just don't feel like it that day, I have to go. The same with overall fitness. Hopefully most days should be fun and rewarding though.
  • juhnell2610
    juhnell2610 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Satisfaction and old clothes that fit are my reward. I'm a goal driven person so I don't need more than that to keep me motivated.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    New jeans in a new smaller size (the next size down to work towards.)

It's like a half-treat, you get something new, but you don't get to enjoy it unless you keep at it.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My rewards are to do with continuing my fitness journey. When I lost 5 pounds I got a new workout outfit (pants, sports bra, and shirt). When I lost 10 I got a yoga mat and some hand weights for my Jillian Michaels DVD. When I lost 15 I got a heart rate monitor so I can measure the calories I burn doing my DVD and C25K. When I get to 20 I'm getting another sports bra and more workout clothes. For me the rewards do double-duty: they give me something to work toward, and then when I earn them, I'm excited to work out to use my new stuff. I agree with your policy of no food rewards. If you're not into workout gear as a reward, think of a book, DVD, CD, item of clothing, shoes, makeup, etc, something that you want, and don't let yourself get it until you reach a certain goal. I like having lots of small goals rather than one big one because the smaller goals seem more do-able in the short-term and keep me motivated. Good luck!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Bought myself a new bra online last night, I figured since I'm making some progress I deserve a new bra that actually fits properly, lol.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You realize that being overweight is not an option and every day you look in the mirror to see the progress you've worked so hard for. Your body is your reward.

Treats shouldn't be needed, but if you need something concrete too look forward to, a good tip is to start a bet with someone who's also looking to loose weight. IE both should loose x LBS by x Date, or else you'll have to pay x or do x.

This is entirely not needed, but some people may find it easier when being pressured a little bit.

I view my training and diet like work. I just don't skip a work day because I just don't feel like it that day, I have to go. The same with overall fitness. Hopefully most days should be fun and rewarding though.

How's the view from the back of that high horse? Different people are motivated by different things, we don't need to tell one another what we "should" be motivated by.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    *NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOD..

What are yours?
    I'm with you. I got control of food by no longer viewing it as recreation or reward but as fuel, so for me, that would have been counterproductive.

I rewarded myself with travel.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options

How's the view from the back of that high horse? Different people are motivated by different things, we don't need to tell one another what we "should" be motivated by.

so you took the words out of my mouth. I understand that at the end of my journey and sustaining the weight that will be the ultimate reward *point out the obvious* but to keep me motivated call me weak, I need little insentives.. So.... yeah? I am only curious what people use to reward themselves to stay motivated. THAT IS ALL :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Maybe so, but I have a question. What happens when the exciting phase of weight loss and rewards has halted? When you reach maintenance and you realize it is the hardest part by far?

Motivation HAS to be internal for long term success.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I go to a thrift store and buy new pants that don't fit, but show promise. Then I work on fitting into them. Right now I'm working on squeezing into a size I haven't worn since highschool.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    My rewards are to do with continuing my fitness journey. When I lost 5 pounds I got a new workout outfit (pants, sports bra, and shirt). When I lost 10 I got a yoga mat and some hand weights for my Jillian Michaels DVD. When I lost 15 I got a heart rate monitor so I can measure the calories I burn doing my DVD and C25K. When I get to 20 I'm getting another sports bra and more workout clothes. For me the rewards do double-duty: they give me something to work toward, and then when I earn them, I'm excited to work out to use my new stuff. I agree with your policy of no food rewards. If you're not into workout gear as a reward, think of a book, DVD, CD, item of clothing, shoes, makeup, etc, something that you want, and don't let yourself get it until you reach a certain goal. I like having lots of small goals rather than one big one because the smaller goals seem more do-able in the short-term and keep me motivated. Good luck!

Love this idea! I had this in mind I was thinking when I lose 5lbs I'll get myself a HRM and then maybe at 10lbs all new work out clothes... and so on an so on. Keep me motivated and working out. At the end I am doing a total makeover. Hair, Clothes etc. but that will come last.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Well, my big reward for losing 30 pounds, I got a new iPod. 12 more pounds and I'll no longer be in the obese category and will be "merely" overweight, LOL, so I'll be going to the running store to get properly fitted for shoes. When I hit my initial goal weight, hubby and I will go on a cruise. Those are my big rewards. My little rewards are just things like a pedicure or a new video game. :smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Taking my shirt off in public is plenty reward in itself
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I dont reward myself for doing something i shouldve been doing all along. i think it leads me back to bad habits that im trying to break. at the end of the day my reward is knowing im possibly adding days/months/years onto my life.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    I think when you reach maintenance, you should continue to reward yourself. You are right that is the hardest. Because its so easy to think "ive reached my destination" only to realize that there is no end to a weightloss journey. It is internal, and mainly emotional but rewarding yourself and your discipline is important.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    I am really happy to see everyone's OPINIONS :) Gracias guys!!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I move a marble from one jar (going, going) to another (gone). It's surprising how excited I get when I get to move a marble. Crazy.

I will also reward myself with another tattoo when I reach my goal weight.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I made a deal with my husband that when I got down to a size 12, we would take a kid-free weekend trip. That's the first true reward I've planned, but I have had to buy new (smaller) clothes twice, so that was nice too :)
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I like rewards, but a sequence of X reward for X amount of pounds didn't work for me. So, I do my workouts and eat well as a kind of "taking care of me" and shopping for myself as "taking care of me." So every so often I get something - clothes, makeup, shoes, skin care, etc. I've essentially had several makeovers, moving more and more toward a really beautiful self. As a result, I feel and look better on many different levels, and I see a progression regarding self worth. I don't feel like I have to lose X number of pounds to have a nice outfit. It's also helped make the weight loss journey an enjoyable one, where I like my food and the exercise, because I see it similarly to going shopping, or taking a nice bath. My relationships have improved as well, since they like to see that I'm taking good care myself on many levels. God is good, and I'm so thankful for the peace he's given me about the whole process.

Edited to add: When I reach my goal, I'd like to take a really beautiful photo. In the meantime, I take really beautiful photos. If that makes any sense to you guys!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For quite a while, I rewarded myself with an inexpensive pair of earrings for every 5 lbs I lost. I chose larger rewards for larger increments of weight, but I didn't do a good job of going through with them.