Do calories make you feel full or is it volume?

Options
I drink a bottle of water to hold myself over between meals so I don't cheat, but after 30 mins of so, I'm hungry again and when I started my weight loss journey, I'd eat nothing but fruits and veggies and was still hungry after them, too. So, which is it? The calories, or the amount of food?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The type of food.

Fibrous foods and rich proteins will help keep you satiated longer because it takes the body longer to process them.

Also, many times, people mistake dehydration for hunger. In this case, drinking a glass of water will stave off hunger.
  • bkcuti3
    bkcuti3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dana, different types of foods are essential if you find yourself hunger between meals often. You said you were only eating veggies and fruit, then I suggest eating more protein, like eggs, fish, chicken breast, and nuts also (Be mindful of fat though). Whenever I don't eat enough protein I find my body craving it and no other food seems to be able to suppress it.
  • confetticupcake
    Options
    It's both. Volume, fat, protein, fiber, enjoying the food = all this plays a role in feeling full.

If you eat something high volume but don't like it (like a giant bowl of celery or broth-based soup) you might physically feel full but mentally still want to eat. Whereas you can eat something small in volume size (like a bagel with cream cheese), enjoy it, and feel full after.

Also, liquids & fruit tend to empty out of the stomach faster, which will cause you to be hungry soon after you eat them.
  • newb01
    newb01 Posts: 22
    Options
    It's both. Volume, fat, protein, fiber, enjoying the food = all this plays a role in feeling full.

If you eat something high volume but don't like it (like a giant bowl of celery or broth-based soup) you might physically feel full but mentally still want to eat. Whereas you can eat something small in volume size (like a bagel with cream cheese), enjoy it, and feel full after.

Also, liquids & fruit tend to empty out of the stomach faster, which will cause you to be hungry soon after you eat them.

Mostly agree with this. Fullness is both physical and physiological. If you drink say 6 glasses of water your stomach may be full...but you still want to eat. So its a mixture of things that add up to fullness. Do not underestimate the need and how healthy good fats are too. Fiber and Protein are big pluses as well.