Protein shakes

Options
pita7317
pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
Is there a particular brand that is better than others ?
Would like to try but don't know what to buy.
Thanks.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their favorites but I always hear good things about Optimum Nutrition WHey.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Syntax Nectar protein especially the Fuzzy Navel flavor (peach and orange). It's more like a juice than a shake not that creamy flavor. Fantastic in fruit or green smoothies too.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition whey
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    You can either buy shakes or buy protein powder to make your own shakes and smoothies. You also need to look at what kind of protein is in your shakes/powder. For example, soy protein in large amounts really messes with me. Give me a soy-based veggie burger, and I get the symptoms of lactose intolerance. It's not horrible pain, but it's still not comfortable.

I don't do protein powder, but for shakes, I like Muscle Milk Light and Premier Protein. Both are sold at Costco. My husband and I both much prefer the taste of Premier Protein, but we have different flavor preferences. I like the chocolate ones, and he likes vanilla.

I don't know the stats off the top of my head for Muscle Milk Light, but the Premier Protein has 30 grams of protein and 160 calories.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.
    I think I will try muscle milk light.
    Just always a little short on protein.
    And trying to get my hubby to not drink ensure, way expensive !
    And not needed, just because his buddy next door drinks it.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.
    I think I will try muscle milk light.
    Just always a little short on protein.
    And trying to get my hubby to not drink ensure, way expensive !
    And not needed, just because his buddy next door drinks it.

Ensure has a fair amount of sugar, if I'm not mistaken. It's often recommended for people who need to gain weight.

Muscle Milk Light is pretty good at keeping sugar/calories in check.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Optimum nutrition whey fan as well. I went to GNC and spoke with the person working about my personal goals and he recommended Optimum Nutriition Whey over their own GNC brand because the GNC brand had a lot more sugar in it.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I chose the optimum nutrition gold since it lists whey isolate as the main ingredient (that is what my dietitian recommended).
  • jenniferpark01
    jenniferpark01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use InTek Evolution protein powder. It's 31g protein, 4g carbs 2g fat. I get vanilla and add in other ingredients to change the flavor.