Rest day or nah?

Options
sissiluv
sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
I just started c25k again and jumped straight into week two with little problem. Yay! I've done the program two days in a row this week and am wondering if I should go for the third day today, which would put me at three days in a row.

I'm not hurting very much. The sorest part of me are my heels which are blistered. If anything I'm stiff and it felt really good yesterday to do it after stiffening up.

However today was supposed to be my rest day, so I'm debating with myself. The reason I'm debating to begin with is because I'm quite hungry today and after eating three cookies and a bite of nutella I have about 64 calories left to consume which isn't gonna cut it.

Advice pretty please? Thank you. c:

Replies

• 1WngdAng3l
    1WngdAng3l Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience thus far, but I never take a "true" rest day. On a rest day I'll find something to do no matter how small. Walking the dog and working in the yard are two of my favorites and burn a good number of calories. So find some type of natural exercise to break up the workout videos.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Take the rest day - youre already somewhat sore and blistered. May as well follow the program as its set out unless you find it ridiculously easy. You can find other workouts to do on the off days ( something on youtube from fitness blender or womens workout channel for example )

Maybe a running sock could help with the blister?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. If truly cooked, then yes.

People forget - you don't get fitter by training, you get fitter by adapting to training. When you work to your limit, that involves rest.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. If truly cooked, then yes.

People forget - you don't get fitter by training, you get fitter by adapting to training. When you work to your limit, that involves rest.

^Agreed. I am about to force myself to take at least 3 days off from lifting, and I am not happy about it at all. But I have been overdoing it way too much lately, and it is important that I do this. Of course I will still walk the dog, do yard work and other activities to burn calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If the program has rests (and it should if it's any program worth it's salt) -then it should have rest- and you should take them.

Resting is where you build.

no resting no regrowth.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys! Much appreciated. c:

I will admit I did end up doing it anyways against all of your advice but I won't be running again until late next week. I'm going to force myself not to. c:
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I never run two days in a row. I started c25k in January and the one time I did two days in a row, I was in a whole world of pain. I am now able to run for 11k without stopping and am starting training this week for a half marathon. Yay!

Enjoy it, but don't push it ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I vote for rest days, but I guess everyone should do what works best for them. I always come back stronger after a rest, myself. This is especially true if I've been training extra hard for a few weeks and then take an extended rest (3-4 days.) Not everyone needs that much rest, though!

When I was younger I used to get overuse injuries all the time because I wouldn't take breaks, but I was also running longer distances at the time. You probably don't need as much rest at these shorter distances, but since you're new to it, make sure you follow the recommended rest days for your program. They put those in there for a reason. You can walk or do some other light activity on your rest days if you want (aka, "active rest".) Good luck! :flowerforyou: