New study - diet soda better than water for weight loss

Options
alpha_andy
alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
The results of a new study published in the journal Obesity imply that diet soda is a more effective weight loss tool than water. The findings are controversial, and what is more, the study was funded by the American Beverage Association.

Go!

Replies

• nnix64
    nnix64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well it does fill me up so I can't eat. I guess that is something positive? lol
  • MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda (regular or diet) and haven't in over 2 years now. One of the reasons I stopped drinking it was because I heard it would help lose weight. I can say, it has not effected my weight loss at all (in either direction). I didn't really gain weight drinking soda and I haven't lost any since I stopped drinking it.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had to chuckle when I read who funded the study. I'm not buying it.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    Definitely not buying it! :noway:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Don't really care since I don't drink it, but I find it funny when people dismiss studies by the funding source. Dismissing by funding source alone is usually the first sign that someone doesn't really understand the science involved

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v38/n5/full/ijo201432a.html
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I find diet soda disgusting so this supposed study is irrelevant to me haha
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You know, except for the headaches I get from fake sugars, and the fact that I feel lethargic if I drink diet soda like I do water.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    In related news, apparently 50% of MFP users have no sense of facetiousness.
  • Emmandaline
    Emmandaline Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Honestly, to me water tastes better. Diet soda isn't worth it to me. If I want soda, I'll go out and buy the real thing! My policy is everything in moderation. It's working so far!
    Besides, what about all those scientific studies about how soda will make you hungrier/ cause health problems due to weird chemicals?
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    That's like tobacco companies funding a study that says people are more likely to find a person sexually attractive if they smoke.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

I'd say more than that..:brokenheart:
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130
    Options
    I don't really care because I don't drink it. But I find it funny when people don't rate studies lower because of a biased funding source. Not lowering validity because of funding source shows they really don't understand how studies are done and that funding sources with power over the study completion and an axe to grind tend to bias the results of the study and how it is put together. :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Do these diet sodas have caffeine in them?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

If you are suggesting that the OP just made this up for the fun of it...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140527085124.htm
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The study was funded by the ABA, but they had no participation in the study or its findings, and the article was peer-reviewed.

I stopped drinking diet soda around Thanksgiving 2013, and other than nasty caffeine withdrawal symptoms, it has had no effect on my weight loss (did not stop drinking because of weight, but other factors). In the last week I've started adding it back in, usually in the early afternoon when I hit a slump. The caffeine boosts my energy enough that I don't end up snacking to stay awake, and it fulfills my craving for something sweet. I still drink plenty of water.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

If you are suggesting that the OP just made this up for the fun of it...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140527085124.htm

I saw a post about it. It's stupid. I'm sure, hoping, op posted to stir the pot.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    It makes sense if you think about it. They are both zero calorie, but diet pop still needs to be processed at least somewhat, which costs energy, while water is pretty much a direct pass through.

Also, it satisfies urges for sweet things.

Perfectly logical. I can't think of any reason why water would be more useful in terms of pure weight loss.

Diet pop is unfairly maligned.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Don't really care since I don't drink it, but I find it funny when people dismiss studies by the funding source. Dismissing by funding source alone is usually the first sign that someone doesn't really understand the science involved

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v38/n5/full/ijo201432a.html

Unfortunately, eric--what the article doesn't discuss is the number of "scientists" who are willing to prostitute themselves for always just a little bit more funding. Science isn't what it used to be when the vast majority of funding came from non-commercial interests. Sorry to disillusion you but the deep pockets rule in the realm of medical science today--probably not so much in other fields of science. Although I had a Ph.D. in chemistry once say to me that, "For the right amount of funding, the question often becomes, 'What do you want this study to show?' " Believe that for the few who are caught there are many others who get away with it--until the next study comes along that appears to contradict that study. And then no one knows what to believe. :frown:
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Diet soda sales have been plummeting. Explains why industry would pay for this study.

Still wondering if the study is flawed in any way, with regard to methodology, etc.
  • Rocky791
    Rocky791 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Diet soda sales have been plummeting. Explains why industry would pay for this study.

Still wondering if the study is flawed in any way, with regard to methodology, etc.

I was just thinking the same thing - the sales have been hit by all of the negative press about the dangers of diet soda and this is an attempt to stop the bleeding so to speak. That being said, I do drink diet soda but try to limit it to one a day. I do find that it fills a craving and also makes me feel more full. I think many of the studies have found that drinking it can increase cravings for other sweet foods and therefore increase overall calorie consumption. That's where logging everything you eat on a daily basis can help to avoid that pitfall.