Protein bars and shakes

Options
Are they really worth the money?
I am a uni student with a tight budget, I go to they gym fairly often (2-4 days a week). Should I look into investing in some sort of protein supplement? If yes can you tell me some good brands and what to look for when buying shakes and bars. Thanks.

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    If you can hit your protein macro without them, they are useless. There's nothing special about them but a convenient way to hit your protein goals. Typically, it's recommended 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Edamame, Greek yogurt, chicken, fish, eggs, Cheese, lentils are some good protein sources to think of. I'm sure others could help give you a good list to think of
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I use them for convenience when I can afford them. Quest Bars (preferred) and Marathon bars (cheaper and more readily available) are a small and easily packable lunch that will keep me full and prevent me from snacking until dinner time. I'm only just starting to try protein shakes, so I have no recommendations there. Again, solely for convenience purposes.

When I can't afford the bars, or don't have access to them, I stick with beef jerky. The Jack Links Beef Steaks are 10 grams of protein for 50 cals, and under a buck a piece. They are high in sodium though.