What should my goal weight be?

Options
Hello everyone, I am a 5'11" male and I'm wondering what should my goal weight be? I am currently at 184 pounds, after starting MFP at 235 pounds, so I've lost 51 pounds so far. I originally had planned to go to somewhere around 135-140 pounds because that would have put me at the lower end of the healthy weight spectrum according to BMI, however I have been told that that's too low. So what would be a reasonable goal for someone of my height? (I don't know if it matters, but I also plan to bulk somewhat after I hit my goal weight, to get an athletic physique.) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My husband is about your height and weighs 180...he looks great...

I would suggest picking up some heavy weights and doing that as opposed to getting down to 140....god forbid 135...

and he is not a big man...

stay where you are. Lift some heavy weights.
  • Brynich
    Brynich Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I fully intend to do some heavy lifting. The problem is, I won't be able to start for about another month, so since you apparently can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time and have to take it in bulk/cut stages, I was planning to just cut until I hit goal weight, then start bulking. Since I won't have access to a gym for now, should I still lose more weight, or should I just maintain until I can hit the gym (because 184 is literally right at the border for healthy weight, 185 is considered overweight)?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Nobody can tell you that. It depends on your frame size, LBM, bodyfat percentage, and ultimately your personal goals.

I am the same height as you, and unlike the previous woman who posted about her husband, when I originally lost weight the 180s left me still with too much fat for my medium size frame. My weight actually lines up pretty perfectly along the old height/weight charts for a man with my frame size. I grew up thinking I was just a naturally big framed guy, being fat for so long, but I was wrong and very surprised to see that I had way too much fat left in the 180s. A larger framed man, or one with more lean mass, would have looked amazing in the 180s, but my goal weight is lower. Like my father, I naturally have a really nice amount of lean muscle, but it takes being lower than the 180s to best accentuate it.

I've gained some muscle since then, so my current goal weight is 175, but I'm bracing myself for the possibility that I might need to go as low as the 150s to get the lean, svelte look I want.

Let the mirror tell you.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Honestly this varies tremendously.

Though I haven't got there yet my PT assures me that I will be ready to end my diet and begin my first bulking phase at about 225lb. But I am 6 foot 4 and have the skeletal construction of a mountain troll.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    . But I am 6 foot 4 and have the skeletal construction of a mountain troll.

85305efdd72a102c6f368bc0627b695c.jpg