Ever lose your willpower to pre-plan meals?

Options
I was 170 pounds and got down to 133 pounds before going on vacation about two months ago. Ever since my return, I can't get back into the routine of pre-planning my meals and sadly gained back 14 pounds. How does one get their willpower back?

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Getting out of it is the easiest thing in the world where getting back is the hardest. You just have fine that one little thing to kick start it again.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    For me I just take it one day at a time so I don't feel overwhelmed.
    that's what works for me.

Plus I agree with another poster. I know that once I stop, it will be much harder to get going again. I've only been doing this for 2.5 months now, and I feel like I could slip back to my old ways if I'm not diligent. so I don't allow my self any cheat meals or days.

That's what works for me...
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Try taking baby steps again. Tell yourself this morning that you WILL have power over your choices for just THIS day. Don't get overwhelmed trying to look at more than the day before you. Plan out your day including exercise and water and then work to stick with it. At the end of the day, plan out tomorrow. One day at a time. This is what helps me at times when I struggle.

Hope that helps! :)
  • elizabethp82
    elizabethp82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Way to go, 37 lbs is a lot! Even though you've gained back 14, 23 is still a lot. This is what has worked for me in the past. Go pick up something that weighs either 20 or 30 lbs and stand on a scale. Would you really want to carry that much extra weight around with you ALL DAY, EVERYDAY? Picking up something that heavy usually helps me to realize what excess weight really feels like. Maybe it will help you too. Good luck!!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I never plan my meals. If I had to do that I think I'd probably give up. I just keep low-calorie ingredients in the house, and eat whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. If I'm not sure what I want, I figure out what will keep me within my calories/sodium/carbs/fat for the day. My husband had Gastric Bypass surgery two years ago, so asking him what he wants doesn't help. I usually just cook for me, and if he decides that he wants some of what I'm eating, I share. Normally he eats a sandwich or a hard boiled egg with some toast and he's full. If I'm in the mood for something specific and I don't have the ingredients on hand, I go to the store. That's all there is to it!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I was 170 pounds and got down to 133 pounds before going on vacation about two months ago. Ever since my return, I can't get back into the routine of pre-planning my meals and sadly gained back 14 pounds. How does one get their willpower back?
    I guess I don't plan my meals, but I do keep a stash of healthy choice and lean cuisine meals on hand add a cup or two of mixed veggies and lunch and dinner are done...only draw back is the sodium around 500 mg per dish. Cereal with almond milk and fruit for breakfast, fruit and nuts for snacks (usually). It just makes my life a little easier when I'm working 12 hr shifts 4-5 times a week.
  • Lisak22
    Lisak22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    KEEP GOING!...YOU CAN DO THIS!...i always have days where i just want to stop, and go back to soda and chips...BUT i didnt work this hard to loose 18lbs for nothing. I have alot more to go, but everyone has to start somewhere...and i just think of it as a game...i ALWAYS have to win..

dont preplan anything, just count your calories..you did it once, you can do it again...YOU MUST WIN!!
  • k_eye
    k_eye Posts: 18
    Options
    I understand - I stopped planning out my meals and then I was like- dammit. What do I want to eat - I'll wing it. That was a bad idea- cos sometimes the quick fixes are not the best.
    I - like you- am starting over almost. So return to the start - what made you decide to pre plan your meals? Try to find that feeling. And remember that you ARE worth all this effort and hard work.

:D

kitty
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    If you can, go have some fun with grocery shopping and don't worry about $$$ as much as how many fun new things you're buying to try. Maybe go to a super specialty grocery store and buy some things, or go to a store that specifically only sells health foods and go nuts. I know they're more expensive but it might help get you out of your rut if you start having fun with it again. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm also pretty bad at pre-planning meals, but I adore cooking. I'll get something in my head that I want to make, and fortunately I make enough to last me for a few days, so I only really have to plan a couple days a week :)

L.
  • ahkunkel
    Options
    Find new recipes and get excited about trying them! I find that I am most likely to pre-plan my meal and stick with it when I am excited about what I am going to be eating. For instance, I saw a mini-recipe (2 ingredients) for yogurt and pomegranates! It sounded so good so that night I made up three containers of yogurt and pomegranate mixed so that they were ready for me to take to work for the next three days. Getting excited about healthy food will keep you motivated. And don't get down on yourself for gaining weight back. You made great progress by losing weight, keep your head up!