Suggestions on chafing?

Options
Hi-
This is pretty gross but I'm looking for suggestions to prevent chafing between my thighs from walking/biking every day. :blushing: I'm using moisture wicking pants and now applying ointment and fabric bandages to keep it protected while I continue exercising but it is pretty red and painful. The bandages tend to slip and move a lot and sometimes pull off of my skin- which hurts like heck! I'm a rather large woman and it's going to be a while before these legs stop rubbing up against each other while I exercise. It's only been 4 days since the problem started but it feels like an eternity and makes going the extra mile absolute torture! Has anyone else experienced this and found something that works? Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me!

Replies

• jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try baby powder! Or that runners glide stuff. And let it heal up.
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    hey i have the same problem.i just make sure that i have on longer shorts in the summer and wear pants when walking or biking...thats what helps me..hope this helps..its a terrible problem...and that is one thing im looking forward to my thighs not rubbing....always wear my pants out there when everywhere else they are fine...it does suck...good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • smygirl
    smygirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest wearing some spandex-y type shorts underneath whatever you are wearing. The more pricey ones would be Under Armor, but I'm sure you can find some cheaper ones at other places. They probably have the moisture wicking fabric for those type of shorts too. Just something to try! :smile:
  • LeopardGirrl
    LeopardGirrl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's really sore :(. I get it in the summer when I wear a dress or skirt and walk lots.

Try Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel, not sure if they sell it in the USA (I assume that's where you live, I'm in UK):
    http://www.lanacane.co.uk/products/gel.asp

Hope this helps,

Jenny
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Body Glide will work will for any areas that chaf. I also wear compression shorts when I run to prevent this.
  • emilysparey
    Options
    Vaseline! trust me, baby powder works for a little while but once sweat mixes with it its like sand paper. i had a really big problem with chaffing in the summer and the fact i always wear skirts. vaseline or bepanthen (if u already have chaffing sores)
  • nate1198
    Options
    I wore a knee length girdle or even a bike pant! I had the same thing!!!! it is a pain to endure no pun intended LOL! Once you get the sores you need to back off and totally heal then start wearing the girdle!! I really had it severe and this helped me! The key is to heal first!!! Cortisone cream or a burn ointment cream will help you heal pretty quick 3-4 days and then wear a tight fit girdle!!! It helped me and I dont get the sores at all anymore!!! Good LUCK I HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU TOO!!!
  • ley1
    ley1 Posts: 115
    Options
    i had the same problem about 2 years ago whilst pregnant i had to stop wearing skirts/shorts but in the uk they now do a thing called lanacane (sp?) which works, otherwise i started wearing a pair of "fat pants" or slimming pants which passed the thigh which seemed to help.
  • trimmingup
    Options
    Use Body Glide, runners live by it to prevent chafing when training for longer runs. You can get it at any running store or order online.
  • pineappleroo
    pineappleroo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Spandex!! I have to wear tight fitting spandex shorts under my shorts or I have no thighs left by the time I'm done! Puts a whole new meaning to feel the burn!
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    i use spandex under my shorts. i NEVER have a chaffing problem!
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    body glide!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Monistat has a chaffing cream that is great but I always wear spandex under any shorts or capris as they don't ride up.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    I used gold bond medicated lotion, and learned not to walk in jean shorts.
  • BlutAura
    Options
    Vaseline... I work in security and naturally with the long hours and walking a lot of my colleagues suffer from this. We all "Vaz" up before shifts at festivals.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    Gold BOnd is fantastic! I lived in FLorida and in the summer I used it nearly everyday when I was working outside.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Regular deoderant/anti perspirant. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than Body Glide. Solid-style. Just have a separate one for your thighs (and any other place that may chafe).

I run, and in the summer when it's really hot, sometimes i chafe on my upper/inner thighs. I use solid deoderant/anti-perspirant and i never have a problem. it doesn't stain your clothes, so you don't have to worry about that either.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Goldbond powder does wonders
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Vaseline or aquafor, but I am pretty sure vaseline is way cheaper. .