fitness and periods (women)

Options
2»

Replies

• estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is probably not very helpful, but I opt to skip exercise during my first (and most painful) day. I drink lots of water and tea throughout the day and try to stay relaxed as much as I can, preferably in bed with a heat pad when I can. I also take medication for the pain and the bloating. I also stop with my diet and eat at maintenance instead. So basically, that first day or two I just give myself a pass and give my body a vacation. The times I didn't in the past just made everything worse. One time I wanted to carry on and do everything like I do in normal days and came close to fainting, so that was embarrassing enough. I can always work out in the next few days and make up for it.
  • Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Aleve is the only thing that ever helps me.

+1. Exactly the same for me. If I don't take my Aleve (over the counter) right when I start to feel my cramps coming on, I'm in for some major cramping. Aleve is my lifesaver the first 24-48 hours of my period. Once I take it, working out is just as easy as any other day :)
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If it's really bad, go to your doctor.

I take something called 'mefenamic acid' and it really helped with my cramps, they completely disappeared. Before that, I tried various over the counter stuff and it never worked. When I had cramps, I would faint, throw up, spend all day in bed, go pale, be unable to move. If this is how you are feeling, really go to the doctor.. You don't have to suffer!!! :wink: