Windows 8?

Options
2»

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    If your new laptop will have a touch interface, you might want to consider Windows 8.1. Otherwise, like everyone else has said, it sucks Gates' money bin, and will make your *kitten* itch.
  • HalfwayGone
    HalfwayGone Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    8 isn't too bad. I got used to it..
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you have a touch screen, its awesome
    if you dont have a touch screen, it can be an adjustment

overall, I like it.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    With the latest update it's not bad at all. Plus the old start menu is supposed to be coming back later this year.
  • RoxyDisaster
    RoxyDisaster Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've gotten used to windows 8 and its no so bad anymore!!! I havent updated to 8.1 yet .... though it keeps asking lol!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    8.1 is a little better b/c you get the start button back, but I still hate it. I would rather have Windows 7 (haven't switched at home, but we use it at work)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's faster than 7. Other than the dashboard (which you can completely ignore with 8.1, since you can boot directly to the desktop,) it's really not much different from 7. Faster, less resource intensive. It's a great operating system, and I've yet to see a single valid criticism of it, beyond "OMG IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE SAME AS WINDOWS 7 THAT I'M ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH!!"

I've used every version of Windows that has existed, and 8 has become my favorite.
    I haven't used it much, since my own computers have 7, but I found it a pain to try and help a couple of others with theirs. The navigation to control panel and such was uninituitive, and I found simple things like transferring pictures off of a camera had been unnecessarily complicated.

I'd probably get used to it if I did use it regularly, but I feel no great desire to do so, even for the performance benefits.
    Right click the start menu button and select "Control Panel." :tongue: Not sure about cameras, but for photo importing from my Galaxy S5, it's just a matter of plugging it in. The photo app auto-launches, and it's one click import. Then again, I'm on 8.1, you might have been messing with 8.0.
    Was 8.0, yes. The one click import was actually the problem, since I wanted to define where they bloody went and was already getting pissed off with the machine at this point :P