Can I survive on 1300 calories with exercising?

Options
13»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    195 vs 130lbs, hmmmm, if I was 195 I would be eating more as well, but I am not.
    Im glad your 1750 daily caloric intake is working for you!

I was responding to the person who said they will have to eat less than 1300 for the rest of their lives just to maintain. As I stated, even at my goal of 129, the 1750 would be maintenance, of course less if activity decreased with age. You're not even the OP so I'm not sure why you think every post is about you. :huh:
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    1) 1 pound a week is fantastic, not "very low" in fact since you only have 7 pounds to lose, 1 pound a week is still too aggressive. 0.5 pounds a week is much more realistic.

No. She doesn't "only have 7 pounds to lose", that's just her goal by the end of July.

She's a very short woman, not even five foot tall. Depending on her frame size and LBM it's quite possible she could be around 100 lbs and still be quite healthy.

Unless the OP has a far greater than expected amount of muscle mass for a woman of only 4'11", than there is a possibility that at almost 150lbs she could very well lose 1-2lbs a week just fine. It all depends on how much fat she actually really does have on her body, not her arbitrary July goal weight.

Actually, OP wants to lose 8 kg, that's 17.6 lbs ;)

So, OP, go for a healthier goal of maybe your goal weight in three months or maybe four...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm five foot three (also 45 years old) and if I eat a bite over 1200 calories, I don't lose, regardless that I work out hard. So since you're younger, you can surely get away with 1300. Just make sure there's enough protein, vitamins, etc. Healthy lean meats and veggies, don't waste calories on starches, kind of thing.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4 and eat 1200-1300 cals a day, i don't get too hung up on the number. i know in that range i'll still lose and i don't eat back exercise calories. there are a variety of opinions on the subject. my metabolism is fine, i have plenty of energy and i exercise 4 days a week...although i suffered a meniscus tear this week so that changes things a bit for awhile, but i know that my scale will continue to go down with this calorie range.

find what works for you. it's so individualized. i tried following all the advice, albeit well-meaning, on MFP, so i bumped my cals up to 1800 cals for 3 weeks. i stalled. i lowered to 1700 cals for 3 weeks. still nothing. so i went down to 1500, lost less than .5 lb per week. i need to lose close to 80 at this point and so i can stand to lose faster than that. went down to 1200 and wouldn't you know, weight started coming off again. bodies are different. there are only 'guides' no hard and fast rules. and if you choose your foods carefully - eating lots of veggies and lean protein, you won't feel hungry. if you opt for a 500 calorie cookie, it's gonna cause you some pain, but if you plan ahead and have nutrient dense foods available, you can easily eat 1200 a day and feel satisfied.

My caveat is that while i don't eat back all exercise calories, if i do an hour HIIT workout and burn 500 - 700 calories, plus lift, I will have a protein shake in the neighborhood of 300 cals post-workout. But I only did HIIT once a week because of my knee issues - which have taken a turn for the worse. :smile:

Find what works for you and find a small support network on MFP that works for you and supports you. These threads are awful because everyone has an opinion and few are physicians, nutritionists, etc. all of whom I've met with regarding my diet when i went back down to 1200 because people on here had me freaked the hell out about starvation mode. it's b.s. you'd have to be netting a lot less than 800-1200 calories a day to have this happen. at any rate, if you have the means to do so, i recommend visiting with a nutritionist and doctor to determine what is right and healthy for you. that is the best advice i've gotten and i lean on my friends on here for support - not to validate my choices or doctor's advice.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    1) 1 pound a week is fantastic, not "very low" in fact since you only have 7 pounds to lose, 1 pound a week is still too aggressive. 0.5 pounds a week is much more realistic.

No. She doesn't "only have 7 pounds to lose", that's just her goal by the end of July.

She's a very short woman, not even five foot tall. Depending on her frame size and LBM it's quite possible she could be around 100 lbs and still be quite healthy.

Unless the OP has a far greater than expected amount of muscle mass for a woman of only 4'11", than there is a possibility that at almost 150lbs she could very well lose 1-2lbs a week just fine. It all depends on how much fat she actually really does have on her body, not her arbitrary July goal weight.

Actually, OP wants to lose 8 kg, that's 17.6 lbs ;)

So, OP, go for a healthier goal of maybe your goal weight in three months or maybe four...

Thanks for clearing that up. The second poster said she only had 7 pounds to lose, and I didn't double check the KG converstion in the OP.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    I'm five foot three (also 45 years old) and if I eat a bite over 1200 calories, I don't lose, regardless that I work out hard. So since you're younger, you can surely get away with 1300. Just make sure there's enough protein, vitamins, etc. Healthy lean meats and veggies, don't waste calories on starches, kind of thing.

YES!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    195 vs 130lbs, hmmmm, if I was 195 I would be eating more as well, but I am not.

I was responding to the person who said they will have to eat less than 1300 for the rest of their lives just to maintain. As I stated, even at my goal of 129, the 1750 would be maintenance, of course less if activity decreased with age. You're not even the OP so I'm not sure why you think every post is about you. :huh:

and I was responding to your comment on the open forum. Isnt that what this is? An open discussion? hmmmmmm
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4 and eat 1200-1300 cals a day, i don't get too hung up on the number. i know in that range i'll still lose and i don't eat back exercise calories. there are a variety of opinions on the subject. my metabolism is fine, i have plenty of energy and i exercise 4 days a week...although i suffered a meniscus tear this week so that changes things a bit for awhile, but i know that my scale will continue to go down with this calorie range.

find what works for you. it's so individualized. i tried following all the advice, albeit well-meaning, on MFP, so i bumped my cals up to 1800 cals for 3 weeks. i stalled. i lowered to 1700 cals for 3 weeks. still nothing. so i went down to 1500, lost less than .5 lb per week. i need to lose close to 80 at this point and so i can stand to lose faster than that. went down to 1200 and wouldn't you know, weight started coming off again. bodies are different. there are only 'guides' no hard and fast rules. and if you choose your foods carefully - eating lots of veggies and lean protein, you won't feel hungry. if you opt for a 500 calorie cookie, it's gonna cause you some pain, but if you plan ahead and have nutrient dense foods available, you can easily eat 1200 a day and feel satisfied.

My caveat is that while i don't eat back all exercise calories, if i do an hour HIIT workout and burn 500 - 700 calories, plus lift, I will have a protein shake in the neighborhood of 300 cals post-workout. But I only did HIIT once a week because of my knee issues - which have taken a turn for the worse. :smile:

Find what works for you and find a small support network on MFP that works for you and supports you. These threads are awful because everyone has an opinion and few are physicians, nutritionists, etc. all of whom I've met with regarding my diet when i went back down to 1200 because people on here had me freaked the hell out about starvation mode. it's b.s. you'd have to be netting a lot less than 800-1200 calories a day to have this happen. at any rate, if you have the means to do so, i recommend visiting with a nutritionist and doctor to determine what is right and healthy for you. that is the best advice i've gotten and i lean on my friends on here for support - not to validate my choices or doctor's advice.
    Amen to that.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    hmmmm
    hmmmmmm

:yawn:
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options

I never said id have to eat less than 1300 for the rest of my life, seriously ive been around the weightloss block a few times and ive counted calories and exercised since i was 15 and ill tell you after 45 it all changed and got freaking harder than ever. So anyway i was wrong according to iifym ill get 1563 so thats a whopping 163 calories more than i stated.Btw its taken me two years to go from 150 lbs to 125lbs doing 5 days aweek one hour exercise and eating between 1400-1500 aday. Not exactly fast weightloss and i have significant muscle and a flat stomach,minus the lose skin. To each his own journey as others have said.
  • katijjaa
    katijjaa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for helping. So I did body composition analysis and also bought an HRM. The test says that my BMR is 1130 kcal and I burn 400 kcal by exercising every day. How much should I eat to lose 1 pound minimum a week?
  • Lib_B
    Options
    you need to create a deficit of 3,500 calories a week to lose 1 lb per week. try this calculator. http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Assuming your BMR number is correct, it's 300 calories below normal for your stats, which is kinda weird... But I'd still eat 1400-1500 (which is 300 under what scooby says for your stats with a 20% deficit).
  • Sf0rza
    Sf0rza Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1300 sounds too low for me if you want to lose over the long term.

I am 4 11 and 124 lb, and set my calories to 1450 after I found 1200 virtually impossible to stick to. Have lost about 1 lb a week, with little exercise, and usually going slightly over that. Things slowed this week but I think that was my weekend wine drinking and an overoptimistic approach to logging.

Personally I wanted to lose at the highest calorie level - I hate to feel hungry and I want this to work long term.

Oh and I'm 52. Thought my age was against me but really I think it's eating habits. I'm still in shock over the calories in pasta, for example.

Good luck OP, you can do it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for helping. So I did body composition analysis and also bought an HRM. The test says that my BMR is 1130 kcal and I burn 400 kcal by exercising every day. How much should I eat to lose 1 pound minimum a week?

500 calories a day less than your TDEE is for 1 pound a week. If you find that 500 reduces you to a number below your BMR....be careful. Morbidly obese people can eat less than their BMR & maintain lean muscle....the rest of can't. If you are within 10-15 pounds of goal....1/2 pound a week is good progress.

Your TDEE is your BMR + activity level (ie: sedentary) + exercise.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Activity level is hard to pin down. TDEE less a number is nice because it evens everything out.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    First, 59 kilos is 130 pounds, not 140.

Second, if you consume 1300 calories and burn 600 (which is highly unlikely with slim in 6... maybe 300. I've done it), your net will be 700, which is way too low. It's not recommended to net less than 1200. I wouldn't eat under 1500, personally. Honestly the poster above is a perfect example of eating way too little and not an example to follow.

Third, assuming you want to get to 130, one pound a week is the most you should aim for.
    Wow...You are so wrong I don't even know where to start.
    If I ate more than 1300, I will not lose a single ounce...and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my metabolism.
    Everybody is different, what works for you, may be a disaster for another person, and I exercise every day and my energy levels are through the roof.

For someone's TDEE to be at or below 1300 they would likely be a 5 foot 0, 110 pound 65 year old female. If that's you, fine, but almost NOBODY "can't" lose weight eating 1300 calories.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 years old, 5'0". After 3 months on 1200 cal./day, I upped calories to 1350 because I felt I needed more energy, due to the number of times a week I exercise. I've lost 23 lbs. since January. I walk approx. 5 miles/day at my job, then go to Zumba 2-3 times/week, and Pump class once a week. I feel increasing my intake has helped me feel so much better. I like the suggestion about not eating back all your exercise calories. (I'm also on thyroid replacement medicines, which recently got adjusted.) Thank you to all who give links on how to figure out this calorie stuff! :tongue:
  • ksmits
    ksmits Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1300 calories is definitely enough as long as it's nutrient dense. I do lots of high intensity, cardio and strength workouts - usually 9-12 hours a week - and I rarely go over 1300. Just make sure you get enough protein and leave out the empty calories.