Raw Black Beans?

Options
Wawlden
Wawlden Posts: 5 Member
Several sources on the web say that if you soak beans, black beans in my case, that you can eat them raw. I soaked 1/4 cup for more than day, maybe 32 hours? Left it near a window with a cover and changed the water every now and then.
I'm getting diarrhea now and I feel squeamish.(。ŏ_ŏ) Was I deceived or did I do something wrong?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    No you can't eat raw beans. I think kidney beans are the ones known for really making people sick
  • Wawlden
    Options
    Agh, maybe I had to sprout them?
    Kidney beans are a killer, yes.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Several sources on the web say that if you soak beans, black beans in my case, that you can eat them raw. I soaked 1/4 cup for more than day, maybe 32 hours? Left it near a window with a cover and changed the water every now and then.
    I'm getting diarrhea now and I feel squeamish.(。ŏ_ŏ) Was I deceived or did I do something wrong?

Not a good idea to eat raw black beans as they can be toxic the following beans can be soaked, sprouted and eaten raw:

Also when soaking beans you can put them in the fridge, you most definitely want to change out the water more often than "every now and then."

Hope this helps... you're probably ill because your body is unable to digest them probably... perhaps drink lots of water to help them through your system (plus if you're having diarrhea, so you don't get dehydrated)

http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read.php?4,24008

"The only raw beans that are suitable for eating raw - and by raw, I mean soaked over night and sprouted untill tails grow out of them, are:

Adzuki beans
    Chickpeas
    Lentils ( all variety of lentils are edible raw - brown, red, green, french, and black. )

All other beans will create a bitter, toxic tasting food product "
  • Wawlden
    Options
    Ohh, thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    beans need to be cooked or fermented...just soaking them isn't going to cut it and you're going to end up sick. There is more to fermentation and sprouting then just soaking them.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I buy canned black beans. Primo is the brand i buy. Rinse and add to a chicken taco salad! Yum yum! I don't cook them first. Haven't had a problem.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I buy canned black beans. Primo is the brand i buy. Rinse and add to a chicken taco salad! Yum yum! I don't cook them first. Haven't had a problem.
    Canned beans would already be cooked. :wink: Wow, your taco chicken salad sounds great for Summer, I think I'll pick up some black beans and do a salad with them as well.

If I buy canned (instead of washing, soaking and cooking in the crock pot dry ones I buy in bulk) I rinse really well and that helps remove a lot of the sodium.

Glad that quote (from an article online) helped you OP and really glad you shared, as it probably helped other ppl looking for raw food ideas to use and not use.:flowerforyou: