Making a monitor decision

Options
mindiv
mindiv Posts: 49 Member
Trying to decide between a FitBit and a new heart rate monitor. My last Polar HRM (the FT4 I think) only worked for a few weeks before it continuously stopped losing signal and became unusable, so I am hesitant to get another. The Fitbit intrigues me but in every review I've read it says it isn't terribly accurate for circuit training, elliptical work and weight training, which is the majority of what I do. Having trouble deciding....

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Wear the Garmin & their hard chest strap. Never had any issues with it.

Fully submersible, too, for those times if I ever get up from being a Power Lounger Pool Side to actually swimming.
  • mindiv
    Options
    Also just looked at Bodymedia. Now I'm totally confused.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You should have contacted Polar and gotten it replaced. You had a defective HRM. I have never had an issue like that with Polar and I don't know anyone who has.

Other than that, I have never used a Fitbit so I can't compare them or say which is better in general or for you. Just don't let your experience make the decision for you because that isn't typical.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Bodymedia would be the most accurate. I personally wore a Bodybugg for a couple of years. I have a Fitbit now (was a present) and it's okay, but Bodymedia is much better. With more sensors on it, it does a much better job of tracking movements.
    Othere monitors (HRM) can ONLY be used during cardio and you can't wear them for 24 hours and get accurate burns.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mindiv
    Options
    Bodymedia would be the most accurate. I personally wore a Bodybugg for a couple of years. I have a Fitbit now (was a present) and it's okay, but Bodymedia is much better. With more sensors on it, it does a much better job of tracking movements.
    Othere monitors (HRM) can ONLY be used during cardio and you can't wear them for 24 hours and get accurate burns.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My only hang up with the Bodymedia is the monthly subscription. I'm not sold also that I "need" 24/7 coverage though it would be cool to have. My job is mostly sedentary 75 percent of the year so outside my workout I don't get much real exercise...
  • FLRN88
    Options
    I too am looking at the BodyMedia monitor, but am confused about the monthly fee. What is that actually for? I've read their web page and still don't really understand what the fee is for? The monitoring app? I would like something that gives me calories burned info. Not too concerned with the number of steps, per se. I had a fitbit, but found it didn't work well for me. Any suggestions appreciated.