Cooking With Blood

Options
http://nordicfoodlab.org/blog/2013/9/blood-and-egg

I read the above article recently, and it's stuck in my mind for the last few days, so much so that I've just ordered a kilo of dried pig's blood to experiment with - the blood meringues look delicious!
I realise blood is quite a taboo food, but it's low in fat, high in iron, and a good source of protein.
Unsure if it's because of my mild vampiric tendencies or not, but this has really intrigued me. What does everyone else think? Hell no or hell yes?

Replies

• apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Blood pudding is quite popular in some places. I can't stomach it myself, I find the texture kind of weird. Still, nothing wrong with it. High in iron.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    What the H are "mild vampiric tendencies"?
  • johnnyhatesjazz
    johnnyhatesjazz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Any kind of blood is disgusting in my book But that's just me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    It's common in the Philippines with a dish called "dinaguan". I had some yesterday at a party and eat it whenever I can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Blood is yum yum. Try Vietnamese duck blood soup! Blood sausage is pretty good too. Mmmm
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Reluctance to be in direct sunlight, enjoying the taste of blood, strange fixation on people's necks, ability to change into a bat...that sort of thing.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When I went to Korea, I tried out their version of blood sausages called "Sundae" (soon-day). It's pretty common there, specially to have with soju (rice/wheat/barley alcohol). The sausages had other things in them too like vegetables and noodles - so it wasn't too bad.

Gotta try everything once, right? :)
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    http://nordicfoodlab.org/blog/2013/9/blood-and-egg

I read the above article recently, and it's stuck in my mind for the last few days, so much so that I've just ordered a kilo of dried pig's blood to experiment with - the blood meringues look delicious!
    I realise blood is quite a taboo food, but it's low in fat, high in iron, and a good source of protein.
    Unsure if it's because of my mild vampiric tendencies or not, but this has really intrigued me. What does everyone else think? Hell no or hell yes?
    Are you iron deficient? Very few guys needed additional iron and if your hemoglobin is too high it increases the risk of heart disease and strokes. Just eat the blood in moderation.
    I've tasted Polish blood sausage and I found it bland, not very tasty. But I know some people who really love blood products. Especially Eastern Europeans and some of the other cultures that eat "from nose to tail".
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Blood is just another part of the animal...nothing wrong with eating it. Blood sausage is pretty awesome.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Reluctance to be in direct sunlight, enjoying the taste of blood, strange fixation on people's necks, ability to change into a bat...that sort of thing.

Your profile pic and the sheer existence of your profile pic say otherwise! :laugh:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Blood is used to thicken foods too. They use blood quite a bit in soups in Asian cuisine.
  • Oxxygi
    Oxxygi Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Blood? NO-NO-NO....

Blood sausage is quite common dish here, I had it as a child- fried or fresh. The blood is mixed with some grains- groats or pearl barley and some spices. But it's been years since I last had it so...NO< NO< NO....not anymore...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    The US in general is WAY to squeamish about things. We have all sorts of wonderful protein sources that most people would never touch. So instead we have people who can't get enough food or protein because they are "too good" to eat things like bugs, reptiles, or rodents (such as beaver).
  • HipsterWhovian
    Options

Your profile pic and the sheer existence of your profile pic say otherwise! :laugh:

:laugh: Not quite vampiric enough to not photograph!
  • HipsterWhovian
    Options
    The US in general is WAY to squeamish about things. We have all sorts of wonderful protein sources that most people would never touch. So instead we have people who can't get enough food or protein because they are "too good" to eat things like bugs, reptiles, or rodents (such as beaver).

I don[t think I could eat bugs, but reptiles and rodents I could manage. I've had eel before which was interesting, so I would assume snake and other reptiles are similar.
    Being in the UK, there is a taboo around horse meat - especially since the food scandal over the last two years - but France, Italy etc eat it regularly. I'd love to try it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Well, ignoring the wannabe, plastic, angsty teenager, pseudo-goth stuff - I'd love to try cooking with blood. I enjoy offal and black pudding. I'm not sure why there's so much squeamishness about eating blood. If you're not put off by eating the muscle and fat of an animal, why would the blood be any different?
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's common in the Philippines with a dish called "dinaguan". I had some yesterday at a party and eat it whenever I can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

dinaguan is the bomb!!
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Went to a birthday party yesterday where they served blood boudin. Won't lie - I looked at it for a long time before I could actually eat it. But it was absolutely delicious.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Blood sausage (we call it black/white pudding here) is delicious. I could eat it every day! Have never cooked with blood though.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You know that vampires aren't a real thing, right?