Diet Soda (Waist size, bloated, clothes, etc!)

Options
So I wanna start this thread to share your experience with diet sodas!

Do You/Your:
- Get Bloated
- Face Look puffy
- pants fit tighter
- find it hard to lose weight

What happened when you decreased amount or quit?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    So I wanna start this thread to share your experience with diet sodas!

Do You/Your:
    - Get Bloated
    - Face Look puffy
    - pants fit tighter
    - find it hard to lose weight

What happened when you decreased amount or quit?

No, I've never experienced bloating from diet soda
    No, my face doesn't get puffy from diet soda
    Noon my pants don't fit any differently if I drink diet soda
    No no I haven't had any difficulty losing weight while still drinking diet soda

I haven't felt any need or desire to reduce or quit diet soda, it's unnecessary IMO, so I have no anecdotal evidence for your last question.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Coupled with a calorie deficit (the diet soda replaced full-sugar and allows me to eat more cals), I lost almost 30lbs, went from a 33/34" waist to a 30", got satisfactory definition all over (12% BF), and took nearly an hour off my half marathon PR (2:28 down to 1:36).

Is this what you're looking for?

ETA: I don't really want to quit either. I do enjoy soda, but the few times I've sipped full-sugar soda, it tastes very syrupy and gross. I used to be the guy who detested diet and swore I could never drink it. Kinda weird.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Never an issue like this. I do feel the desire to eat more sweet things when I consume anything sweet, irrespective of calorie content.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are usually sweetened with aspartame which is a poison in the body.

I was hooked to diet coke about 9 years ago. I had things like acne, bloating, jaw pain, etc. I quit diet soda (and ALL aspartame) and felt better in 3 days. Acne went away within the month.

Drink water and have a real soda once in a while.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I would say no to all those questions for me too. The only thing for me is the amount of caffeine, in addition to coffee, leads to withdrawal headaches if I don't have any. Lately I've stopped and now just drinking more water instead. Haven't noticed any weight loss effects per se though.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    No. None of that.

I try not to drink much of it, because the more I drink the more I want - and I don't like to feel that way about anything. Plus if I'm not drinking diet coke, I'm drinking more water. More water makes my skin look better, and I feel better all around.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I tried quitting once because I'd heard the stories of people who'd lost weight by cutting diet soda. Makes no sense but I tried it anyway. Nothing happened. Didn't lose a single pound. Didn't notice any other changes. Tended to want to eat MORE because I couldn't have my diet soda. And yes I stayed off of it for several weeks.
  • JennyHollyHansen
    Options
    Diet Soda is a killer for me. I get very bloated which causes my pants to fit tighter. I cant lose weight drinking soda because it perpetuates my crazy sweet cravings. On top of that while it says no calories and no sugar it definitely affects my insulin and blood sugar in a bad way. I have cut out all pop including diet. I found I was much more successful in losing weight once I made the choice to not drink any pop or sweet drinks at all.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost ten pounds already...And I've switched from regular soda to diet. I want to eventually stop drinking it all together, because it's just plain bad for you. But I don't think it's going to prevent me from losing weight....or give me any of those symptoms.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Diet sodas are usually sweetened with aspartame which is a poison in the body.

I was hooked to diet coke about 9 years ago. I had things like acne, bloating, jaw pain, etc. I quit diet soda (and ALL aspartame) and felt better in 3 days. Acne went away within the month.

Drink water and have a real soda once in a while.

Are you part rat?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Diet soda doesn't do any of those things to me. It helped me get off regular soda which a regular can of coke is 140 calories and like 40g of sugar. I was having 1-2 cans of soda a day so that was cutting 1000-2000 calories a week by switching to diet. You can tell me it causes cancer and this, that, and the other, but I love my diet coke.
  • rico80
    rico80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There was a study published recently about diet soda and weight loss. it stated that it could actually help you loose weight. Although please note it was fully funded by the american beverage association and im not sure what links they have to the soda industry. Personally i avoid it esp pepsi max which gives me the shakes but if it works for you and doesnt increase your cravings i cant see the harm in it..

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/diet-soda-and-weight-loss-new-study-reignites-debate/
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet - and all other - soda over a decade ago. noticeable results were saving money & it was a lot easier to get my water in! I was immediately pleased that I was no longer consuming the unnatural & potentially dangerous ingredients.

That's it for me! No noticeable physical improvements at all but I had no negative and noticeable side effects I was trying to get rid of. I did not expect cutting soda to help with weight loss or anything else. Thank goodness, since it did not. Eliminating diet soda and all AS was one of the first things I did when I decided to more toward natural foods.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I guess the only one that would apply to me would be the "bloated" feeling but then again I feel bloated and gassy with any carbonated drink.

Edit: Typo.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I gave up diet - and all other - soda over a decade ago. noticeable results were saving money & it was a lot easier to get my water in! I was immediately pleased that I was no longer consuming the unnatural & potentially dangerous ingredients.

That's it for me! No noticeable physical improvements at all but I had no negative and noticeable side effects I was trying to get rid of. I did not expect cutting soda to help with weight loss or anything else. Thank goodness, since it did not. Eliminating diet soda and all AS was one of the first things I did when I decided to more toward natural foods.

Protip: soda IS water.
  • willdob3
    Options

lol... You really think soda is water?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

lol... You really think soda is water? Poor, uneducated child.

First ingredient: Carbonated WATER. The rest is syrup, chemicals, and toxins. Well, water is technically a chemical, but you know what I mean.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Never had any negative effects from diet soda whatsoever. I count it as a small piece of the puzzle that helped me lose weight this time.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against using sweeteners. I use Splenda in my coffee every day. I do find carbonated drinks with aspartame give me stomach aches. It was so bad that I was tested for gallbladder problems before I pinpointed the issue. Crystal Light does this to me as well. I also get headaches and just an overall feeling of being unwell. I think some people are just sensitive to it. Splenda, in small amounts, doesn't seem to bother me,
  • willdob3
    Options

lol... You really think soda is water? Poor, uneducated child.

First ingredient: Carbonated WATER. The rest is syrup, chemicals, and toxins. Well, water is technically a chemical, but you know what I mean.

Like I said... lol...