Benefits of Cinnamon

Options
2»

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When I put cinnamon in something (coffee or tea or a cookie), I find that I dont need as much sugar.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    WOW, I never knew cinnamon had so many good affects! I'm glad I read this post and definitely will add more to my diet!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    After hearing all of this, I'm headed to Cinnabon ASAP.
  • Korrinn
    Korrinn Posts: 24
    Options
    I used to take cinnamon every morning... And then I found out I'm allergic to Balsam of Peru and since its used to make cinnamon it could be causing my exczema... I was sad when I found out because I love that spicy taste!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Markey et al. Effect of cinnamon on gastric emptying, arterial stiffness, postprandial lipemia, glycemia, and appetite responses to high-fat breakfast. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2011 Sep 7;10:78.

Background
    Cinnamon has been shown to delay gastric emptying of a high-carbohydrate meal and reduce postprandial glycemia in healthy adults. However, it is dietary fat which is implicated in the etiology and is associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. We aimed to determine the effect of 3 g cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) on GE, postprandial lipemic and glycemic responses, oxidative stress, arterial stiffness, as well as appetite sensations and subsequent food intake following a high-fat meal.

Conclusions
    We found no evidence for delayed GE rate or reduced indices of oxidative stress in response to a HF meal supplemented with 3 g cinnamon compared to placebo. Cinnamon did not change postprandial glycemic and lipemic responses, arterial stiffness or appetite. Given the association between 1-day fatty acid intake and GE Thalf, we suggest that controlling for background fatty acid composition requires consideration in future gastrointestinal studies.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    After hearing all of this, I'm headed to Cinnabon ASAP.

LOL!!!! Not sure if that would have the same effect, but yummmmm!!!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I read some where you can't eat a teaspoon of cinnamon straight - it makes you puke and you can't get it down. This morning I tried it, you so can!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I take cinnamon capsules everyday. .. as stated previously there are a variety of benefits to taking cinnamon.
  • soulatomic
    Options
    I read some where you can't eat a teaspoon of cinnamon straight - it makes you puke and you can't get it down. This morning I tried it, you so can!

It's actually a tablespoon - which is why you were able to do it. And the most common cinnamon is America is of the cassia variety, which some don't consider to be true cinnamon (ceylon variety). Too much cassia can be harmful, although you'd be hard-pressed to consume too much.

Source: http://www.inwardbliss.com/benefit-cinnamon.php
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I've used cinnamon to keep ants out of the house. Sprinkle around the house as a line of defense.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options

It's actually a tablespoon - which is why you were able to do it. And the most common cinnamon is America is of the cassia variety, which some don't consider to be true cinnamon (ceylon variety). Too much cassia can be harmful, although you'd be hard-pressed to consume too much.

Source: http://www.inwardbliss.com/benefit-cinnamon.php

Aw man - ok I'll try a tablespoon tomorrow!
  • littlemount
    Options
    Well Cinnamon and cloves are high in antioxidants. They now sell cinnamon water which is expensive in the market, but I for ages boil my water in a kettle add cinnamon stick and cloves in the water and drink just for its antioxidant value. My friends blood sugar remains the same no change after taking this for months.