low protein levels?

Options
clheide
clheide Posts: 112 Member
i've had some low protein levels showing in recent blood tests. my dr referred me to a dietician as he said i was "beyond his scope of ability" and said that for the amount of training i do, i need to be taking in WAY more protein than what i am.

i had actually been "off the wagon" on logging my food on mfp for quite a while, but started again to keep an eye on my protein intake. i noticed the standard protein goal seemed to be fairly low according to various recommendations i've seen, so i kicked it up to 30% of my cals.

wondering if that's going to be enough? and also wondering how on earth i can meet such a high (or maybe even higher after mtg with the dietician???) goal without eating like 10,000 calories a day.

any advice?
=) charity

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I am always over protein but I have not upped it. I just love protein and it keeps me fuller longer. You may have to blend up a smoothie (Fage 0% yogurt, fruit of your choice, protein powder (I like vanilla) and some ice) to boost your protein levels. Lots of protein rich foods are not too caloric. Here is a list I found online. Good luck!

http://heartspring.net/list_of_high_protein_foods.html
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot - QUINOA is high in protein (they say it is as much as mother's milk). MFP mail me if you don't know how to cook it :-)
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Easy, I drink a Whey protein shake for breakfast, 1 scoop 18g protein. I have black beans for lunch 14g 1 cup and I have a protein bar for a snack 12-20g I can't make and I will have baked chicken breast for dinner abou4 ounces is about 32 ounces protein.
    Be blessed.
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    maybe i should add that i also recently added a double-scoop of protein shake every day after exercise (52g of protein plus the protein that's in the 16oz of milk i drink it with) and that my doctor said it's still not even close to being enough...i do weight training 3 times per week and i run anywhere from 4 to 10 miles (depending on the day), 5 times per week.

wondering if anyone has any input on exactly how much protein i ought to be taking in for what i'm doing?
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go higher than 40% of your daily calories. After a point it does nothing for your muscle growth.