Late night cravings

Hi all,
I hope everyone is doing well and meeting the health goals. I work nightshift (12hr shift) at a medical center, and I am doing well with eating breakfast,lunch and dinner, but I tend to get cravings for munchies around 2 or 3am. I want to know what you do to control late night cravings especially when you are up all night. thank you in advance for any advice.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Budget the calories, eat what you crave.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Maybe switch from 3 meals to 5 snacks?
  • These are hard. Maybe keep an apple around or some fruit?
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Perhaps you could try a few things to switch around what you eat and how much you have for each meal, til you find what works best for your work hours. It just takes a bit of practice to find a good routine for you.
    I have found what works well for me is eating small things, often. I set up my food diary like this:
    First meal. Snack. Second meal. Snack. Third meal. Still hungry.
    I space my calories out throughout the day so that I usually don't go longer than 4 hours without something (that's my goal anyway) 'cause when I'm hungry I just turn into a crazy ninja and eat whatever my hands land on lol.

Also, think about or do some research into which foods you can incorporate in that may help you to feel fuller for longer-I have heard chia seeds can help you feel fuller, and also protein can help with that-I've found that if I have my protein shake then dinner, I feel less hungry later. I did that tonight and 3 hours later I still do not feel like any 'still hungry' food :)
  • drink water with a crystal lite or similar packet in it,make a habbit of not eating after 9 pm and if its a much because u are active during those mornig hours eat grapes raw or frozen,maybe some celery and carrot sticks.hope this helps,keep them in ur purse in little baggies