Trying to train to drop BF%, need some direction!

Options
Ok. So, I've heard a lot of conflicting and confusing info about strength training vs. weight loss. I've lost 22 lbs since Feb and I'm happy that my clothes are looser and I've lost that much weight, but I'm realizing I've become "skinny fat" and I want to fix that. But- I'm looking for some help so that I go in the right direction. Lots of confusing, conflicting info out there. Ok, let me start with what research I've done so far...

TDEE:
I've used TDEE calculators on IIFYM, fitnessfrog.com, scoobysworkshop.com, and a few others. I'm finding that my TDEE comes out between 1760 (IIFYM) and 2138 (scoobysworkshop). For starters, if I'm trying to lose *weight*, I know that you do TDEE - 20%. But- what TDEE is correct? This is such a huge range! 2138 -20% is roughly 1710... so if I was to eat 1700 cal/day, I may eat AT maintenance or at a loss. Totally confused here. I've been doing 1760- 20%, which has been about 1400 cal/day and that seems to work, but I don't know if I'm shortchanging myself.

Body Fat %
I'm also looking at my BF%. Most calculators and just a visual comparison put me right about 25% BF (some calculators are up to 31%). I'm 5'2" and 128 lbs. If I have 25% BF, then that means I have 32 lbs of fat and 96 lbs of lean mass. I'm looking to get down to about 18-20% BF- so that would mean 117-120lbs total weight (?) without sacrificing lean muscle.

Cardio/Strength Training:
I've recently started lifting heavy weights rather than the pathetic ones that I used to. I still do a decent amount of cardio (probably a total of 2-5 hours/week), but I've scaled back the cardio and rather than doing 60 mins of cardio, I'm now doing 50/50 cardio and strength training. I don't necessarily log all of my cardio/strength training here because I track that at the gym.

Ok now for the questions...
Ultimately, my goal is to be in the 110-115 range for weight AND 18-20% body fat. Based on this info, how do I get there? Is that goal even reasonable? What kind of time frame would be reasonable to drop the 5-7% BF based on my workouts?

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    following
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have found iifym.com TDEE calculator to be the most accurate in comparison to my own calculations.

or Take all of them and get an average.

TDEE-20% is too agressive for the amount of weight you want to lose...try TDEE-5-10%...

as for BF%...that is a hard one as most online calculators are off...best thing is to get a dexa scan...

But yes if you are 25% BF then 117-120 is the goal weight as long as you maintain your current LBM. 110-115 is a bit low considering your goals.

How do you get there...you lift heavy following a good program such as Starting Strength, stronglifts or NROLFW...eat at least 0.8g of protien for every pound of LBM...eat at a reasonable deficit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did the IIFYM calculator give you the total with the deficit included?

I would go with the Scooby calculator. Take a 10% deficit, not 20%, you don't have enough weight to lose for 20%. Lift heavy, get adequate protein (.8 grams per pound of your body weight). Do shorter HIIIT sessions for cardio. If you do longer cardio sessions, then you just have to eat more.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    This is one way. There are others. This is how I do it.

Drop almost all the steady state cardio. Maybe 15 minutes, twice a week, if you really have the urge. I'll do 10 sprints, in a field with cleats, if I feel the need to run.

Continue lifting heavy 3 times a week. Keep pushing your limits while form is sound. Don't think you can't get a new PR, especially if you haven't been lifting long.

On other days you want to workout, do body weight exercises. Pull ups, push ups, lunges, plank etc

Very important - hit your protein goals err day. At least 1 gram / lean pound of body mass. More is not harmful.

Make sure to get some good fats too. Carbs are the macro that you can play with.

I can't tell you what your TDEE is. Your level of activity changes day to day. Just realize the pounds should be coming off about a half pound per week. You're aiming for 100-200 below maintenance.

Try to have similar foods each week. If you're doing that, it'll take two or three weeks to figure out if you're eating at or below maintenance.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    EUvnYWr.png
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Eat less calories than you burn.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm currently eating around 1400 cal/day- sometimes more (weekends), sometimes less (weekdays). I seem to be ok on protein- I'm getting about 1.1g/lb of lean mass. I think it's fats that I need to work on. Maybe some olive oil on the salads? I think if I put maybe a tablespoon of olive oil on my salads then I should be ok- bringing my calories up to about 1550/day (IIFYM TDEE -10%) and healthy fats in line with where they need to be. I'm currently losing about 1.2 lb/week, so getting 1400 cal/day may be a bit too much of a deficit.

The only thing I'm curious about (and this may just be a load of internet baloney) but... I hear that you can't really gain muscle while eating at a deficit. Is that true? If that's the case, am I making it harder on myself by having a deficit at all?

I guess my ultimate goal here is to get some muscle definition- especially near my hips and gut. I've been a tennis player for years, so I've always had "man arms" but I'd really love to even myself out a bit. I'd also like to be slimmer, but I don't think I look half bad right now, actually. Just trying to get rid of the jiggly. :drinker:
  • spara0038
    Options

I've been doing that for 4 months. Lost weight, but still jiggly in places. Looking to tone :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes to gain muscle you have to be in a surplus...unless you are totally new to lifting in which case you will have noob gains but they don't amount to a whole lot...esp for a woman.

You don't need to gain muscle to get muscle definition...that comes from fat loss.

I have been in a deficit for over a year and lifting for 9months and I have definate muscle definition.

Lifting helps maintain the muscle you have while in a deficit otherwise you are losing fat and muscle.

You can get muscle definiton without lifting heavy...you can do resistence training, lose the layer of fat and bam...you see muscle.

My sister has great definition and doesn't lift heavy.
  • spara0038
    Options
    Thanks! Definitely clears some stuff up
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options

I've been doing that for 4 months. Lost weight, but still jiggly in places. Looking to tone :smile:
    Are you weight lifting? Will not get "toned" without weight lifting.