Infused water

Options
What do you all think of it? Have you had results with it? or is it all just a waste of time? I’ve tried two different kinds one was Lemon, Lime and Cucumber to help with water retention. I only got through one day of drinking it because I am not a fan of lime. The one I am working on now is a flat tummy water. It consists of Lemon, Cucumber, Fresh Mint and Ginger... It's pretty good and I think I’ll stick with it to see if it does anything but I was curious to what everyone else thinks of it or if they have tried it and what combinations work best for them?

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Infused water is the same as drinking water and taking a small bite of the food. What do you hope it will do? You will be more hydrated than if you didn't drink anything. If you're struggling to drink enough water day-to-day, it may be a good option. If you're trying to get more vitamins and whatnot, just eat the food you're infusing.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think there really are any special results you'd get from drinking infused water that you wouldn't get from drinking water and eating a little of the food (as the above poster noted). Lemon is good as a weak diuretic, which my OB told me both times I had bad foot swelling at the end of my pregnancies, so I drink that regularly, though mostly because I have trouble drinking flat water and don't like mix-ins like Crystal Light and Mio.

That said, there's nothing bad about making infused water. I've done cucumber before, and I also like strawberry, which is good this time of year when strawberries are plentiful. It's also a great way to use up extra strawberries so they don't go bad.
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    I dont hope it will do anything just curious on other peoples out looks on it. For me personally its hard for me to get enough intake of water so if playing with different mixtures of water will get me to drink more its totally worth it for myself if it in fact does anything for anyone is unknown but worth trying if you drinking the water you need to intake.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of water and always have lemon juice in it. Otherwise, I'd never drink enough water. It never occurred to me to think of it serving as any other sort of purpose.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I dont hope it will do anything just curious on other peoples out looks on it. For me personally its hard for me to get enough intake of water so if playing with different mixtures of water will get me to drink more its totally worth it for myself if it in fact does anything for anyone is unknown but worth trying if you drinking the water you need to intake.

Sure, if it gets you drinking enough/more water, go for it! Another thing I like is carbonated water. I have a SodaStream and use it without any of the soda mixtures, and that helps me get my water in. I have a Coke Zero about every other day, and other than the occasional beer or glass of wine, all I drink is either carbonated water or lemon water (unless I'm working out, then it's plain water).
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The carbonated lemon waters that Arrowhead/Ozarka make do it for me too. They're not sweetened - just lemon fizzy water. :D
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1) carbonated water with a very small dash of lime cordial
    2) leftover fruit tea gone cold
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lol
  • wine_lovah
    Options
    I just picked up an infuser today actually, and came looking for other posts about it.

For me personally, it makes more sense to put fruits/veggies/mint etc into my water than the chemical/sugar/aspartame etc.. ridden "MIO" and "Crystal Light" water flavor enhancers, that i've become horribly addicted too.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If it helps you drink more water have at it, but I really don't think the infusion actually will reduce bloating, I think it's more the water flushing your system.

I like to add stuff to my water at times but just for the flavor not really any other reason.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any additional benefit beyond the benefit of the water itself. Whatever flavors you're adding are just flavors. If you like the taste, drink it. If not don't.

We have a huge water dispenser at work and the woman who runs the Courtesy Desk adds something different to it every day. One day it was peach slices. So refreshing. Once she did strawberries, which was very subtle and lovely. She once added a few branches from a rosemary bush, which nearly made me keel over with joy. She's also done apples, oranges, lemons, cucumbers, mangos, and some other things. It's always a surprise.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I drink infused water, because it spices things up, there are no benefits to it.

lemon + muddled mint
    frozen strawberries (that I mashed) + lemon
    muddled mint
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical about drinking infused water because I did not think it would really help me curb my cravings for soda and other pre packaged drinks, but I have been pleasantly surprise with how easy it has been to stay away from all of the sugary stuff. I keep a pitcher made up in my fridge at home and it has become a really easy way for me to get all of my water each day.
  • KLB325
    KLB325 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have an infusion pitcher from Bed, Bath and Beyond. One if the better things I've ever spent money on. I replenish water as I drink it to not oly keep the fruit under water, but so it'll have time to flavor. Pry lasts a good week. Citrus hold up best. Don't use much lime if you add it - it'll take over the whole thing. Strawberries - the red will come out making the berry look not great and since it isn't a sturdy fuit anyway I'll put to the top if I use it that way I can throw it out day 2 or so. I like oranges of all kinds, lemon and fresh mint.
    I don't expect a special cleanse or anything out of it, but tastes like half water/half juice without the calories and anything that will makke you apt to drink more water is always a good thing.
  • KLB325
    KLB325 Posts: 17
    Options
    Also - since the fruit will sit for days in my water, I make sure to buy organic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    If it's flavored water you like to drink because you're not drinking enough water, then it's fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can help flatten your tummy if your tummy is bloated from water retention. Otherwise, it's just a tastier* version of water with a little more nutrients.

*opinons may vary
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I drink infused water each day at work because I cannot tolerate plain water, but need to increase my fluids. I use cucumber by itself or with dill, strawberry slices, strawberry slices with mint, peach slices, peach slices and mint, orange slices, nectarine slices, nectarine slices and mint. The combos are endless. I personally cannot tolerate lemon or lime because it gives me heartburn. I say if infused water helps you to drink more liquids, why not do it.