Retrofitness vs. WOW! Work Out World

Options
I find myself in the unfamiliar position of having to select a new gym, and to that end I would kindly ask current or former members of either of the aforementioned to please share with me their experiences, impressions, and informed recommendations.

As for myself, I've recently begun my eighth year of membership at the New York Sports Clubs, and though NYSC is an otherwise world-class operation — in terms of personnel, facilities, and amenities — that I couldn't possibly recommend highly enough to most others, I've nonetheless reached a bittersweet point in my own personal fitness and strength-training journey at which their dodecagonal weight plates have become a noticeable hindrance to continued progress.

PS Please feel free to add me as your accountabilibuddy: No explanation needed, I've never deleted anyone, nor have I the intention absent credible threats to my physical safety.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    never been to a work out world- but I can tell you RetroFit only has one squat rack and that's a big turn off for me.

Not sure about WOW.
  • Tammer81
    Tammer81 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Both NYSC branches in my area have but one squat rack — in addition to a power rack — though it's never been a problem for me, even as I squat thrice weekly; at the very least, it would seem that Retrofitness serves a more serious clientèle if you find a single squat rack to be insufficient… out of curiosity, where do you work out now?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    never heard of either. whats wrong with 10 sided plates? or is that twelve? lol

you need them to roll for a particular exercise?

your old gym sounds expensive
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Both NYSC branches in my area have but one squat rack — in addition to a power rack — though it's never been a problem for me, even as I squat thrice weekly; at the very least, it would seem that Retrofitness serves a more serious clientèle if you find a single squat rack to be insufficient… out of curiosity, where do you work out now?

well- it doesn't- that was kind of my point. It tend to cator to a step above planet fitness. It has ONE squat rack- no power cages- and trying to dead lift on a busy day would been almost impossible.
    It's okay for generic working out- but it's way to cramped for big lifting.

I got a guest pass for a week when I was visiting my BF over the holidays- so it wasn't too busy- but I could see on a Monday it being a little insane.

I workout at a power house, I moved and I was previously at LA Fitness.

Both of which served my needs adequately. (2 squat racks and one power cage)
    I'm not sure you're going to be happy with the transition- both of those seem like down grades from the NYSC.

Unless you need bumper plates- I don't really see any disadvantage to having none round plates- it's never bothered me honestly (I actually prefer it- I get sick of plates rolling everywhere)
    you need them to roll for a particular exercise?

your old gym sounds expensive
    it's the tri-state area- so yes- it is a more expensive club LOL. We have one near Trenton and I'm always afraid to even go in there LOL- I dont' think it's hella expensive but it's more than what I pay I'm sure.

The gym across from my work (not a NYSC) is a tier payment thing- 29 for basic limited hours- no extra equipment- and it runs all the way up too 100+ for 24/7 access and the TRX equipment even aerial silks.
  • Tammer81
    Options
    12-sided; they're a problem now that I'm deadlifting 315 lb.+ and performing power cleans.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    might be time to find an oly/power gym specifically.

You're absolutely 100% not going to be happy at retro if you are doing cleans. there just isn't the room for it.
    Plus you're eyes start to bleed after an hour from the paint scheme LOL
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    12-sided; they're a problem now that I'm deadlifting 315 lb.+ and performing power cleans.

i still don't get it lol.

is it more uncomfortable to land the weight on a flat edge rather then the single point on a cirular wieght?

or maybe you have to go down just a bit more?
  • JoRocka
    Options

i still don't get it lol.

is it more uncomfortable to land the weight on a flat edge rather then the single point on a cirular wieght?

or maybe you have to go down just a bit more?

people complain about set up- so when you land- it rolls one way or the other and it's not off balanced.

I actually prefer hex plates - they don't roll far- sure for touch and goes are a PITA_ but I have found I dislike round plates far more than HEX plates.
  • KhorneDeth
    KhorneDeth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm firmly in agreement on hating the flat-sided plates for heavy lifting. Sure, it makes no difference on bench or squats, but any movement that starts/ends at the floor is a f***ing nightmare of frustration. I'm now recently deadlifting in the 300s and Pendlay rowing near 200, and I hate-hate-hate the 12-sided plates at my 24 Hour Fitness. Decent facility otherwise, but hate their plates. The "settling" on the flat edge forces constant body-realignment each rep.... unless I wanna miss a rep or get injured pulling from a bad angle.

I'm also a member at my local neighborhood gym (non-chain) for when I'm not traveling, where they're slightly more sports-oriented, so it's all round plates, regular old iron -- and the difference is dramatic.

Of course, like all Internet comments, that's just my take. Others' mileage may vary. :D

On topic: I have never been to either one of the gyms you mention, Tammer. So I'm probably not very helpful here, lol. But good luck!
  • Tammer81
    Options
    Incidentally I called up my local Work Out World this morning: THREE squat racks AND circular weight plates! I shall avail myself of their five-day free pass as of Thursday morning.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    YAY- good job!!!

Hopefully it works out for you! :)