Blisters. :(

2»

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    soak your feet in epsome salt and super hot water, and then put second skin or mole skin on them before you go walking again. I also like to wear 2 pairs of white socks to get extra cushion. Your feet will eventually callus, but until then you need to take care of them. DON'T POP THE BLISTERS!

I did drain the one (gross I know!) that was right on my big toe. I was extra careful, because I know you're not supposed to do that; I could feel it throbbing + it was in the worst place for a blister to form. Luckily it's 20x better today! The other ones unfortunately decided to pop on their own, but they're also healing nicely.

I'll definitely go invest in some Epsom salt...I feel like I'm gonna need it in the coming weeks!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Shoes obviously...but what KIND of sock are you running with? If they are cotton then that is a BIG culprit right there. Cotton socks + running = no no! Invest in some good quality running socks...Features, Smartwick, Balega, etc...

Definitely never heard of those brands; but I'll look into it!
    I had no idea cotton was bad to run with.

Cotton is bad any time your feet are likely to sweat. I just soaks up the moisture and holds it against your skin. Any friction will cause blisters.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    Shoes obviously...but what KIND of sock are you running with? If they are cotton then that is a BIG culprit right there. Cotton socks + running = no no! Invest in some good quality running socks...Features, Smartwick, Balega, etc...

Cotton is bad any time your feet are likely to sweat. I just soaks up the moisture and holds it against your skin. Any friction will cause blisters.

I just bought a couple pairs (just to have some). They said that they're breathable cotton socks, and the woman on the package is running, haha. Is breathable cotton ok for running?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i slather aquaphor all over my feet to prevent blisters
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    soak your feet in epsome salt and super hot water, and then put second skin or mole skin on them before you go walking again. I also like to wear 2 pairs of white socks to get extra cushion. Your feet will eventually callus, but until then you need to take care of them. DON'T POP THE BLISTERS!

I did drain the one (gross I know!) that was right on my big toe. I was extra careful, because I know you're not supposed to do that; I could feel it throbbing + it was in the worst place for a blister to form. Luckily it's 20x better today! The other ones unfortunately decided to pop on their own, but they're also healing nicely.

I'll definitely go invest in some Epsom salt...I feel like I'm gonna need it in the coming weeks!

Popping your blisters is fine. Just don't remove the skin. Let the collapsed skin stay in place, put a little bacitracin or other antibiotic ointment on top and a bandage and you are good to go.
    Blisters pop on their own all the time. In fact, I've never not had a blister pop or pop it myself.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member

I just bought a couple pairs (just to have some). They said that they're breathable cotton socks, and the woman on the package is running, haha. Is breathable cotton ok for running?

Not the greatest. You really should invest in some good running socks. I go with thin fabric that wicks moisture (clima-cool is one that Adidas makes that I wear, but Nike, NB, and several other manufacturers make them).
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Feetures socks are the best invention ever. Seriously.

I stopped getting blisters as soon as I switched to those socks, and I won't do a long run or race in anything else.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Wrightsox, double layered.

Amazon has them. A bit pricey, but they last and cured my blister problem.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    It might not be the case since you are just at 1-2 miles now, but possibly.... I feel like I have tracked my godawful blisters down to a break down in my form as I fatigue. It's only my left foot and they don't typically start these days until about mile 8.5. Previously I would start blistering at mile 4, then 6, then not until 7. Oddly, I didn't really have any issues moving through 5. Now, I find it doesn't matter so much which shoes or socks I wear, as long as I am under 8-ish miles I don't blister. I'll be interested to see if the more I do the longer distances if the blistering gets to the point I can finish a run before it happens.

Could be something to consider if you can't figure out a shoe or sock issue..
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

All cotton is breathable but it doesn't wick. I wouldn't trust them for running or longer distance walking. Keep them for trips to the grocery store.

The fibers you should be looking for are Coolmax, Ultimax, Smartwool. My absolute favorites are Wigwam Ironman in their quarter crew size. Only $10 a pair at Campmor and they wear for years.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If your shoes fit properly it doesn't really matter what kind of socks you wear.......I can't begin to even count the number of blister free miles I've run in cotton tube socks (much to the amusement/embarrassment of my children), the key is shoes that fit. They ran marathons long before "technical" fabrics existed.

Having said that, the 2 layer wright (and I'm sure there are other makers too) can help avoid blisters when you have shoes that aren't quite a perfect fit and I've actually started using them the last couple of years as they are extremely comfortable.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    IMHO, good socks are more important to preventing blisters than good shoes. Make sure you get some that are made for activity so that they wick moisture away. Thorlos makes some really good lightweight ones but I am partial to SmartWool or several types that Wigwam makes. No need to break the bank, just head over to any sporting goods store like ****'s or Gander Mountain or discount places like Fleet Farm and Tractor Supply.

Most important: STAY AWAY FROM 100% COTTON !

Finish Line also has some good performance socks under their brand. They have the arch support and they're great for wicking moisture. I went in on BOGO day and got quite a few pairs.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Running shoes are supposed to be a half size larger than normal to account for swelling in the feet during activity.

Also, socks - good running socks ( I prefer Balega) Are amazing.
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    I have the same issue with my feet whether I am walking, running or wearing new shoes of any type. In all the great replies you have here I picked out those that have worked for me. Shoes that fit well are an absolute must. Specialty socks for running are also an absolute must. Go to a running store and get help with these items if you can. Not only will they help you pick the correct shoe, they will be a tremendous help with sizing as they account for feet swelling with exercise. If you are unable to do that, then at least purchase an athletic shoe with very good support. I smear Aquaphor all over my feet before each run. This not only helps with blister prevention, but also with toenail distress. I would NOT recommend wearing two pairs of socks as they tend to slide between the layers or bunch up which will be more likely to cause blisters.

Good luck! Take really good care of your feet and don't give up!