100 calories?

Options
Okay I have had a few people tell me that to lose weight you should eat 100 calories for every 10lbs of fat. One of my friends lost 1-1.5 lbs a week doing this. Has anyone else heard of this or had good results. 1880 seems kinda high to me

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to consume less than use, in total. If you use more than 1880 per day, then eating at 1880 would be a deficit and lead to weight loss.
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Okay I have had a few people tell me that to lose weight you should eat 100 calories for every 10lbs of fat. One of my friends lost 1-1.5 lbs a week doing this. Has anyone else heard of this or had good results. 1880 seems kinda high to me

Did you mean per 10 lbs of total body weight? 100 calories per 10 lbs of fat would be starvation for the vast majority of people. Either way, it's a rule of thumb at best. Things like body fat % and exercise will change your caloric needs.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yea...my calorie allotment would be 266 calories/day which is less than the lunch I'm eating. I'm sure I'd lose weight but I'd probably also die.

Are you saying that you have 188 lbs of fat on your frame? Even if you are 40% fat that would mean that you weighed 470 lbs. You don't look 470 lbs. in your picture. I think that 1880 would not be enough for someone 470 lbs.

Am I totally getting this math wrong? For some reason this whole concept is bothering me...
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yea...my calorie allotment would be 266 calories/day which is less than the lunch I'm eating. I'm sure I'd lose weight but I'd probably also die.

Are you saying that you have 188 lbs of fat on your frame? Even if you are 40% fat that would mean that you weighed 470 lbs. You don't look 470 lbs. in your picture. I think that 1880 would not be enough for someone 470 lbs.

Am I totally getting this math wrong? For some reason this whole concept is bothering me...

lol def got the math wrong. not looking at pounds of fat, looking at what i weigh which is about 185-188 so 1850-1880 calories is what I shoulr be eating.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Personally, that actually works out to pretty close to my TDEE, so it wouldn't help me lose weight. I'd recommend going with the MFP method or TDEE - 10-20% route. It's still all estimates, but those methods guarantee that you will be burning more than you eat (if you stick to your goal).
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm at 188-190, and I lose weight on 1700-2200 per day, depending on the exercise.

I'm not saying the 100 cal per 10lbs of body weight is what you should go by, but I am saying that it is possible to lose weight eating 1880 calories per day.