Not seeing results...not sure why

Options
2»

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I definitely track what I eat. Every last bit. Lol.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Edited to add everything below

I went to this link: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I calculated your BMR based on your stats given and assumed your activity is "desk job with little exercise" to get a baseline. (Any more activity will increase your numbers, not counting your BMR so long as your weight is static.)

Your BMR is 1524 - basically what you'd need pumped into your body if you were comatose

Your TDEE is 1829 - basically what you'd need to consume to maintain your weight

A 5% calorie reduction would mean you should be eating 1738 calories/day.

You are eating very, very little --- assuming you are actually eating 1200-1300/day. I'm going to guess you're eating more than you think though (see the first link I provided).

Weigh your solids, measure your liquids.

At your height/weight, your goal weight may or may not be possible without starving yourself. You're already at a healthy weight for your height.

If you want to "tone up," rather than looking to lose weight, you should look into heavy lifting. You won't get bulky or look like a bodybuilder, trust me. You may even gain a few pounds, but you'll look awesome:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I would eat at a smaller deficit and lift weights.

You will love what it will do to your body.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of salt? You could be retaining water.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So I don't know if my body works differently or what, but I literally do not see results of any kind no matter how much "work" I put in. I'm a 5'10" female, 27 y/o, and weigh approx. 155 lbs. I want to lose 10-15. I'm currently sticking to a 1200-1300 daily caloric intake diet, which seems to only help me maintain my weight. If I go over this calorie amount at all, I gain weight...and FAST. For instance, this past week, I shed 4-5 lbs by sticking to my diet. I went out to eat twice this weekend, and weighed myself this morning...FOUR of those pounds are back. It's so frustrating! I don't feel like I ate super unhealthy. I ordered salads, lean meats, and lots of veggies. It's just very frustrating to have to "starve" myself to see any weight falling off, and then gaining it all back when I live a semi-normal life and eat what all of my friends/family are eating! Anybody struggling with similar problems!? Tips!? Advice!? I'm starting to feel like it's not worth it.

Carly

Looks like you did see some results, just not as much as you expected. Last year I tried to lose a pound a week and managed to only lose a few pounds after a couple of months. Just too much work for too few results. And I was always hungry. This year I decided to try to lose just half a pound a week. It's going much better. I am not hungry all the time, the weight is coming off slowly but surely. I also looked up my TDEE and I figure as long as I eat below that I am winning. And I don't eat back all my exercise calories, maybe only half of them. Your TDEE is about 1829 calories, assuming you're sedentary.

Your BMI is in the normal range. Maybe instead of losing weight what you really need to do is get fit and put on some muscle. Muscle is denser than fat so you'll look slimmer. Also, exercise can buy you several hundred extra calories a day, depending on what you do.
  • Kegha
    Kegha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Restaurant tend to add lots of salt to the food to enhance flavor and do the same with fat. Our brain loves it and ghe restaurant wants us to come back for more :0)

water weight
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    dmenchac isn't helping. But Carly, there are several factors that come into play at this point for you. You said you only have a little bit of weight to lose, and I'm sorry to tell you that those last few pounds are the hardest to come off. Since you're doing just about everything the way that you should, the only thing that will take away those pounds is time. Another thing is to ask how much sodium you are consuming per day, and how much water you are drinking. High sodium levels will lead to water retention which is extra weight. In order to offset this, you have to drink more water per day and get enough potassium to balance out your body levels and keep the water weight off. I personally consume high amounts of sodium, but I drink my weights worth in ounces of water (200 ounces) per day and I get plenty of potassium. I have no bloats, and any water weight I gain is gone in no time at all. Another factor is, are you exercising? Are you constantly changing your calorie amounts even by 100 calories before giving it a month? If the answer to these two is yes, then you must decide on one set of calories and one specific exercise program and give it time to see if it still works. If you are constantly changing around, your body is going to be doing all sorts of things to get accustomed to your new ways of doing things. I know that this is the last thing that you want to hear, but you must give it time. Be patient, the weight will come off if you stick to one routine and give it time. Don't give up, you can do this!!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    dmenchac isn't helping. But Carly, there are several factors that come into play at this point for you. You said you only have a little bit of weight to lose, and I'm sorry to tell you that those last few pounds are the hardest to come off. Since you're doing just about everything the way that you should, the only thing that will take away those pounds is time. Another thing is to ask how much sodium you are consuming per day, and how much water you are drinking. High sodium levels will lead to water retention which is extra weight. In order to offset this, you have to drink more water per day and get enough potassium to balance out your body levels and keep the water weight off. I personally consume high amounts of sodium, but I drink my weights worth in ounces of water (200 ounces) per day and I get plenty of potassium. I have no bloats, and any water weight I gain is gone in no time at all. Another factor is, are you exercising? Are you constantly changing your calorie amounts even by 100 calories before giving it a month? If the answer to these two is yes, then you must decide on one set of calories and one specific exercise program and give it time to see if it still works. If you are constantly changing around, your body is going to be doing all sorts of things to get accustomed to your new ways of doing things. I know that this is the last thing that you want to hear, but you must give it time. Be patient, the weight will come off if you stick to one routine and give it time. Don't give up, you can do this!!

I probably gave the most sound advice in this thread. Its probably not the answer she wants to hear but I don't beat around the bush. Thank you for your concerns though.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

+1
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'd for starters make your diary public so we can take a look and help you out. Odds are you could be over-estimating portions and forgetting things like butters and oils. When you go our for example, restaurants like to add butter to your veggies which adds calories.

Also remember the scale is not your report card and should not be used as a weekly or daily indicator of success. Weight yourself once a week and watch the trends over 4-6 weeks.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

+1

+1
  • cjperkette3
    Options
    Weighing yourself every day is only going to morph into an compulsive obsession...there is so many elements to the number on the scale...are you retaining water?....have you had a BM?...yes..one of my boys did an experiment...he weighed before a BM and then after and lost 6lbs..I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes....you might still be losing..but weighing heavier because of muscle gain...the real loss is seeing what you weigh monthly..IMO...sometimes I don't see much weekly...but then all of a sudden I will see a 5 lb loss...we all want to see the number on the scale go down...but what's the most important is the health benefits of eating right and exercising...keep doing what your doing....it takes time for our bodies to adjust to change...my mantra?...Be patient and persistent and everything will flow where you want it to.
  • krysannboggs
    krysannboggs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend you ditch your scale. Hide it in a closet or something and only bring it out every few months. Take body measurements and pictures. That way you can view TRUE progress :) Stressing yourself out over every single pound gained is going to do more damage in the long run.