Counting Chickens Calories!

Options
Can anyone lead me toward the correct nutritional information for baked chicken? There are so many different variations. This is the only food that I have seen such a wide variation in the amount of calories per ounce! Can you say, confusing?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What are the details? You generally want the entry without an asterisk and with lots of confirmations that matches you details.

So for example, you can try "chicken, breast, meat and skin, cooked, roasted" or "chicken, leg, meat and skin, cooked, roasted" or "chicken, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted," so on. Avoid entries that other people put in, since you don't know how they came up with their entries and I've seen ones that obviously included oil or seasoning.

Also, obviously, add separately any oil or seasoning you use, if you do, at least if it has appreciable calories.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    This post is very helpful and actually uses chicken as an example. It's a bit long, but definitely worth the read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This baffled me for months and I finally figured it out.

I buy the Tyson - All Natural Trimmed & Ready Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. On the package it says 110 cals for 4 oz. I use the recipe builder, I weigh them raw (21.9oz) and enter that number for oz in the database entry for "Tyson - All Natural Trimmed & Ready Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts". It has a 1oz option and a 4oz option so I pick 1 oz and enter 21.9 servings. Then I weigh them again after they are fully cooked and take that number (14.35oz) and divide it by the serving size I want. So if I have 21.9 oz of raw chicken and after baking in the oven I get 14.35oz cooked weight I divide 14.35 by say 10 servings and I get 60 calories per 1.45 oz servings.Then when I want a serving of it I just pull the cooked chicken out of the fridge and weigh out 1.45oz x how many servings I want. Enter my servings in my food diary from the recipes tab.

The calories for 21.9oz of chicken are still there even though I only get 14.35oz cooked.