4'11.5" Height Woman Trying to lose weight

Options
Hello, I am 4'11.5" and I am looking for inspiration from others who are about the same height. I know that many are much taller than I am but I have found that I am looking for more of my size to confer with. I know everyone's bodies are different that is why I am asking for this height range lol. No disrespect to any other heights.. I am 29 years old and weighing 166lbs. I had lost almost 15lbs before I started MFP just watching what I ate. Now since I have been on here for a month and really watching what I eat, my number seems to be getting harder to lose.

Any advice will work.

Thanks in advance for the short ones out there! :wink:

Replies

• blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I hear yas twin-shorty! I'm 5'0.5" (I totally get the half inch thing, I say it all the time!!) and 29 years old. Weight has never been a struggle for me until very recently... I've been at this for almost 5 months now, and just keep at 156ish... So frustrated! My lbs weight isn't so much the issue for me, but more so that I feel uncomfortable in my own skin... I know what I need to do, but can't seem to stay consistent. I know I need to track (I started tracking in Feb lost 6 lbs over 2 months, then stopped tracking after I switched jobs and started a different routine; didn't realize how bad I was being until May and found that I had put on all the weight I had lost), keep exercising, and stay away from the alcohol/fast food during the week... It's just so hard to stay consistent when my life is anything but normal. It's also not fair being short, we are limited on how much we can metabolize on a daily basis! Staying under 1200 calories was impossible! So I calculated to give myself a little lee-way (1390 if I focus on just .5 lb weight loss a week) so maybe I can stick with this better and make it work for me. But I hear ya sister!!! This is not easy at all... But hopefully we can make it work for us, and make a lifestyle change that over time will help us slim down and make us happy!
  • annar298
    annar298 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hear yas twin-shorty! I'm 5'0.5" (I totally get the half inch thing, I say it all the time!!) and 29 years old. Weight has never been a struggle for me until very recently... I've been at this for almost 5 months now, and just keep at 156ish... So frustrated! My lbs weight isn't so much the issue for me, but more so that I feel uncomfortable in my own skin... I know what I need to do, but can't seem to stay consistent. I know I need to track (I started tracking in Feb lost 6 lbs over 2 months, then stopped tracking after I switched jobs and started a different routine; didn't realize how bad I was being until May and found that I had put on all the weight I had lost), keep exercising, and stay away from the alcohol/fast food during the week... It's just so hard to stay consistent when my life is anything but normal. It's also not fair being short, we are limited on how much we can metabolize on a daily basis! Staying under 1200 calories was impossible! So I calculated to give myself a little lee-way (1390 if I focus on just .5 lb weight loss a week) so maybe I can stick with this better and make it work for me. But I hear ya sister!!! This is not easy at all... But hopefully we can make it work for us, and make a lifestyle change that over time will help us slim down and make us happy!

Thanks for the reply! Glad to know I am not the only who is stuck I suppose. I felt like the first 20 lbs were kind of easy.. I mean like not really working out. I try to but that mom lazy bug excuse comes to me. Anyway, hope you get over that hump and lose it as well. I have this UP24 band it keeps track I guess on how I many steps/ calories that I burn daily but I noticed I don't exercise the thing says I don't burn about 1500 calories a day! I was like that not much a deficit... with the diet. Ugh the drinking and the fast food really gets me to. Once again thanks for the reply. We'll get there! You look awesome at the weight though.
  • dianarene818
    Options
    Hi there! I'm the exact same height and was at 165 about five years ago. I lost 14 lbs just by starting a job where I was on my feet all day. It's gone back and forth since but I did get to down to 120 about a year and a half ago. I tried every diet "fad" out there and realized the one thing that worked for me was low fat intake. I ate a ton of veggies, nothing fried, and walked about 2 miles a day (in the evening before dinner). I didn't drink alcohol at all and it definitely showed. Now I'm 30, about 129 lbs and working hard to hit 115. I am just starting back on my low fat train and doing 30 min cardio in the AM and 30-45 mins at night of something, whether it's walking or hip hob abs or chasing the dogs around the yard.

It is hard to stick to the 1200 calories a day but once you find the right foods that will keep you feeling full longer, it's not too bad. Track everything, even on the bad days. Then you can look back and ask yourself if it was really worth it. Trust me, after losing so much weight by sticking to a routine, it helps you feel like life and time is somewhat normal as you build it around your workout.

You can do it! Just sticking to a routine will knock out that uncomfortable feeling!
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I too have done all the "fad" diets (Jenny Craig was the one that really worked when I followed it). But like most fad diets, the results were instant, but didn't last. I have learned since that what happened was I was eating at a huge deficit; but I also lost all my muscle too (since I wasn't working-out at the time). Come to find out, losing muscle means I don't burn as many calories as I should be and I needed to continue eating 1200 calories a day. So now I have more fat than I do muscle, hence why I am sooo overweight and not happy in my skin.

I'm working at building up the muscle so I can increase my metabolism and be able to eat more (rather than trying to stick to 1200 cals a day, which is sooo hard when I want to still enjoy social outings). I am following the TDEE plan where I eat my Basal Metabolic Rate and allow myself some lee-way. I found that my BMR is around 1473 and my TDEE to keep at my current weight (no deficit) is 2026 a day (This is factoring in 1-3 hours a week of light exercise; which I try to do way more than that usually. Plus I live in Chicago, so I do a ton of walking on a daily basis). So as long as I eat between those two numbers, I should be good. This is according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ which says I could lose .8 lbs a week, 3.2 lbs a month which would mean 42.1 lbs in a year! It's not a strenuous plan, and it's one that I can keep at long-term. This way I don't burn it all instantly, get burnt-out and gain back again... I can be me, have fun, and work towards my goals of being happy in my own skin.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm 5'2 and 170, so I know how it feels to have extra weight on a little body. 177 was the last straw for me. I felt the weight on me while I walked, and it just didn't feel right. So I lost 6 or so pounds and am trying to lose like 25 more.

A lot of people think that just because they're short they need to eat a very low amount of calories. I suggest calculating your TDEE and BMR, and eating somewhere in between. Read the sticky threads at the top of each section of the forum, they are very helpful!
  • annar298
    Options
    I too have done all the "fad" diets (Jenny Craig was the one that really worked when I followed it). But like most fad diets, the results were instant, but didn't last. I have learned since that what happened was I was eating at a huge deficit; but I also lost all my muscle too (since I wasn't working-out at the time). Come to find out, losing muscle means I don't burn as many calories as I should be and I needed to continue eating 1200 calories a day. So now I have more fat than I do muscle, hence why I am sooo overweight and not happy in my skin.

I'm working at building up the muscle so I can increase my metabolism and be able to eat more (rather than trying to stick to 1200 cals a day, which is sooo hard when I want to still enjoy social outings). I am following the TDEE plan where I eat my Basal Metabolic Rate and allow myself some lee-way. I found that my BMR is around 1473 and my TDEE to keep at my current weight (no deficit) is 2026 a day (This is factoring in 1-3 hours a week of light exercise; which I try to do way more than that usually. Plus I live in Chicago, so I do a ton of walking on a daily basis). So as long as I eat between those two numbers, I should be good. This is according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ which says I could lose .8 lbs a week, 3.2 lbs a month which would mean 42.1 lbs in a year! It's not a strenuous plan, and it's one that I can keep at long-term. This way I don't burn it all instantly, get burnt-out and gain back again... I can be me, have fun, and work towards my goals of being happy in my own skin.

Yes that is a great plan, I am not trying to lose it all at once either. I had realized that sometime ago. I don't mind the long run I just want to make sure I don't fall back on old eating habits. Those die hard for real. Thanks! :)
  • annar298
    Options
    Yup, I'm 5'2 and 170, so I know how it feels to have extra weight on a little body. 177 was the last straw for me. I felt the weight on me while I walked, and it just didn't feel right. So I lost 6 or so pounds and am trying to lose like 25 more.

A lot of people think that just because they're short they need to eat a very low amount of calories. I suggest calculating your TDEE and BMR, and eating somewhere in between. Read the sticky threads at the top of each section of the forum, they are very helpful!

Great thanks will do!
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10.5" and 31 years old. My current weight is 129. I started originally at 155 about two years ago, but recommitted to losing again on Christmas at 149 pounds. I have been consistently losing every 3-5 pounds every month I have found eating around 1200-1300 calories works for me on days I don't exercise, and about 1400-1500 on days I do. I try to eat lots of veggies. I add 3 ounces of spinach to my morning smoothie and have a big kale salad with an additional 3 ounces of spinach most nights for dinner. I weigh or measure my foods. On the weekends, I am not as good at tracking, but continue to make good choices. During the week, I eat the same things most days, but really enjoy the foods I am eating. On the weekends, I change it up a bit, but continue to try to eat mostly protein and veggies. I also try to work out (30-50 minutes of cardio and 60-90 minutes of heavy lifting) three days a week. Please feel free to add me.