C25K Calories Burned

Options
darkrose20
darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
I did day one of C25K today. I am sweating like I have never sweat before. Sweat is just pouring off me. My calves are tight, and I'm tired.

WHY does MFP only say I burned 115 calories? I put in 15 mins walking and 5 minutes running. This seems low. At one point my HR was 175 for about 2 minutes. My average HR was in the 120s (according to the monitor on the fancy treadmill).

Somehow, I was expecting more. Is this the reality of trying to run, or is something off here?

Thanks!
D.

Oh, and BTW, I feel great, and I'm going to keep up, I just want to know what's up with the burn MFP gave me.

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    congrats on day 1!!

MFP is taking a bash at it. but if you want the right numbers, you're going to need an HRM.
  • maureenh0709
    maureenh0709 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also finished Day 1, Week 1 of C25K - I was thinking of getting the Endomondo Sports Tracker app (free version) to help me track my calories burned. Anyone have experience with this app? Is it accurate?
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you get a Heart Rate Monitor and use a fitness tracker like Endomondo or RunKeeper you will have a better estimation on calories. Both of the apps I mentioned can link to MFP and post the calories.

Good luck in your training! I am halfway done myself and have found the runner hiding within me :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I did day one of C25K today. I am sweating like I have never sweat before. Sweat is just pouring off me. My calves are tight, and I'm tired.

WHY does MFP only say I burned 115 calories? I put in 15 mins walking and 5 minutes running. This seems low. At one point my HR was 175 for about 2 minutes. My average HR was in the 120s (according to the monitor on the fancy treadmill).

Somehow, I was expecting more. Is this the reality of trying to run, or is something off here?

Thanks!
    D.

Oh, and BTW, I feel great, and I'm going to keep up, I just want to know what's up with the burn MFP gave me.
    Yeah, you dont burn as much as you think while running.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Now that is for fit runners. As a rule I round to about 100 calories per mile ran and 80 per mile walked so yeah..your total that MFP gave was pretty close.

The example shows a 156 lb person doing a ten minute mile run doing 112 calories/mile.

When I run I just count it as 100 cals/mile. There are times when I want to indulge that I will ask myself..."Is that candy bar worth running 2.5 miles to burn off?"

MOST times the answer is no!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    How many miles did you run/walk total? IN GENERAL, you'll burn around 100 calories per mile (regardless if you run it in 6 mins or 16 mins). If you're heavier, you'll burn a little more, if you're lighter, you'll burn a little less. I also burn a little less on the treadmill (around 90 calories per mile) and a little more outside due to wind/hills (around 110 calories per mile). To be more accurate, you'll need a HRM.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah...that number sounds about right. I burn about 110 calories per mile at 145 lbs.

Just for future reference...the amount you sweat doesn't necessarily mean you burn more calories. Sweat is really just an indication of how well your body is at cooling itself. I have friends who run with me and are barely sweating in 90 degree heat while I am drenched.

Either way...welcome to the running world!
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also finished Day 1, Week 1 of C25K - I was thinking of getting the Endomondo Sports Tracker app (free version) to help me track my calories burned. Anyone have experience with this app? Is it accurate?

I like Endomondo it tracks quite a bit and the app is pretty solid. I tried Runkeeper out for awhile but went back to Endomondo.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

That seems reasonable to me, depending on how fast you were running. If you were walking at a 20:00 pace, and running twice that fast (which is fast for a beginning runner), you will have covered 1.25 miles. If your running pace was slower, then somewhat less. 115 calories for a distance somewhere between 1.1 and 1.25 miles is fairly reasonable. For reference, I burn about 115-120 calories a mile when running at an 8:00 pace (7.5 mph); I weigh about 160 lb. I burn about 80 calories/mile walking.

As others have said, the amount you sweat has more to do with how hot you get and how efficiently your body gets rid of excess heat. Over 75% of the energy you burn during exercise is "waste" heat. I am a copious sweater, regardless of how much I'm exercising. It's generally a good thing, as long as you stay hydrated, because those of us who sweat a lot can exercise longer, and in warmer temperatures, than those who sweat little; we're at less risk of heat exhaustion or heatstroke, other things being equal. I used to go for 10-mile runs on the Chicago lakeshore in 95-degree weather--stopping frequently to rehydrate at water fountains. (Do not do anything like this until you're experienced and know your reactions to heat very well. It can be very dangerous.)
  • darkrose20
    Options
    I want to say I was walking maybe 2.5 MPH and "running" about 4.2 MPH. I covered a tiny bit over a mile.

Thanks all for the insights. I had no idea that sweating was not correlated to how hard I was working/how many calories I was burning. Too bad, because it felt like there was a waterfall coming off my forehead. LOL Of course, thinking about it logically, yeah...it makes sense that sweat = cooling, heart rate = calories burned.

Thanks for the tips regarding HRM and the two aps. I might have to check them out.

One other question for you helpful runners: How do I make it where my ankles don't hurt on impact with the ground when I'm running at a higher pace? Is it all in the shoes? In the technique/form? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So, a mile with 115 calories sounds just about right to me.

As far as the ankles, the very first recommendation is to make sure you've gone to your local running specialty store (not a sporting goods store like Academy, etc.) and get fitted for running shoes (they'll evaluate your gait, figure out which type of shoes you need, then bring you out various brands/models and you try them on until one feels right). It's VERY important. You should do that today if you haven't. Once you've done that, you'll need to just give your body to strengthen the bones, ligaments, muscles, and tendons involved in running. It'll take some time.
  • darkrose20
    Options
    Thanks a bunch!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, thanks! :drinker: