Replies

• Gingergal12
    Gingergal12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Love them too! :love:
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    There's a reason I grow three varieties of cucumbers... pickles, pickles, pickles!
    Have you tried Armenian cucumbers? They produce in heat and never get seedy or bitter. The skin is always tender. I've had some over 10 pounds! They produce like zuchinni!
    I've lacto-fermented them and also like to do a really quick pickle with onions, rice vinegar, cumbersome and sometimes tomatoes.
    Yummy! My cucumbers are just starting to set fruit. I may need to make zucchini pickles, too.
  • trillywilly1
    trillywilly1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Del-Dixie.. The throwback pickle :)
  • lazydayrose
    Options
    I have found a few sweet pickles, a couple of crackers with some goat cheese works for tiding me over.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Dill pickles are awesome. I have one or two as snack in the afternoon when I get hungry. They have ZERO calories. they're high in sodium but I don't eat much sodium throughout the day so it's harmless.

I highly recommend them to keep your calorie count down.

I heard that the brine also cleanses the blood. You could totally do a pickle cleanse and eat whatever you want with the pickles and you WILL NEVER GAIN WEIGHT!

Trampoline-broom-Quidditch.gif
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm always mad because my pickles have calories and everyone else's pickles don't. I try to not let the bitterness keep me from eating my pickles, but it is difficult.

me too!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of a brand that doesn't use corn-syrup? I can't have corn in any form and I miss pickles so much! (but not enough to, you know, make my own as of yet).
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is why olives have so many calories when pickles don't. Love them both, but miss the odd olive binge sometimes when I'm chowing down on pickles.

Just so you know, though: They do have calories. Just not as many as olives. FDA rules that things with less than 5 calories (I think?) can be reported as calorie free.

Olives are high in fat, Good fat thats why the calories are high. I like both olives and pickles and I love salt like a fat kid loves cake.

Your logic is a bit off. Olives are not high in calories because the fat is " good ". All fat, no matter if it is pork lard or olive oil has 9 calories a gram .
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Mmm pickles. I sometimes get those BIG jars of pickles, Mt. Olive I think, then use that said jar and some of the pickle juice for Pickled eggs or for marinating meat (I hear it's the secret to making an at home version of chicken nuggets that taste like ones from chick-fil-a)
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lz6wtxQxqM1qbpgppo1_250.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    But they're loaded with carbs. :-(
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Why limit yourselves to cucumbers? PICKLE ALL THE THINGS!! Wickles okra is awesome, and pickled asparagus is the bomb! Pickled garlic? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is why olives have so many calories when pickles don't. Love them both, but miss the odd olive binge sometimes when I'm chowing down on pickles.

Just so you know, though: They do have calories. Just not as many as olives. FDA rules that things with less than 5 calories (I think?) can be reported as calorie free.

Olives are high in fat, Good fat thats why the calories are high. I like both olives and pickles and I love salt like a fat kid loves cake.

Your logic is a bit off. Olives are not high in calories because the fat is " good ". All fat, no matter if it is pork lard or olive oil has 9 calories a gram .

I read that with different punctuation: "Olives are high in fat, good fat. That's why the calories are high." As in, "The calories are high because they're high in fat." Makes more sense that way.
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    Love Claussen pickles!!!!
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I'm not sure 'LOADED' is the right word...they have some, yes, but not many.

YUM.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I'm not sure 'LOADED' is the right word...they have some, yes, but not many.

YUM.

My pickles have stuff all carbs? Are you talking about the ones with sugar in? Because the dills I get don't have any sugar...