Introducing protein shakes into my diet

Options
I've started trying to implement some protein into my diet - I've been getting more serious about where my calorie come from,
but when you start looking at the protein options - I'm a bit overwhelmed -

Basically using it as a breakfast replacement - and sometimes after I work out especially hard with my trainer -

The gms of protein are all over the board - and so is calorie contents and added 'features' like fiber, etc.

What am I looking for? I'm far from my goal weight - so I'm assuming lower calorie -

What else?

Replies

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My dietician told to find one that was primarily whey isolate.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use a mix in the morning for my breakfast drink. I take Isopure zero carb (strawberry cream) and i mix it with Ultra fiber DX (German Chocolate). Isopure is a whey protein and is fast absorbing. The fiber is added to slow down the absorption a bit and to help keep blood sugar low along with the other health benefits of fiber.

Before that I was taking a Myofusion blended protein before that. I liked the blended protein since different proteins absorb at different rates and this one had a probiotic in it as well. I stopped taking the Myofusion because I wanted to lower my carb intake.

Feel free to message me with questions
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Think of your protein as food because that's what it is. Here's a great video and how-to-guide to calculate your macros (your recommended protein, fat and carb target)

Vismal from this community made this, he's awesome.

http://youtu.be/7cc18wLJW3k

How to calculate macros and calories for flexible dieting, also known as IIFYM.

Calories: 10-12 per lb of body weight
    Protein: 0.6-0.8 grams per lb of body weight minimum
    Fat: 0.3-0.45 grams per lb of body weight minimum
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As a meal replacement, I'd try to find ones that are specifically designed as such. They'll usually be a little more complete.

I keep a case or two around of the Nestle Boost Calorie Smart either in Rich Chocolate or the Very Vanilla. They taste good to me, warm or cold, cold is better.

They are easy on the go, and for me they are lactose free, which helps since I'm lactose intolerant. At 190 calories I can usually cram in a fiber rich granola bar and that keeps me full and satisfied for about ~ 330 calories.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather eat a meal, but I understand the unfortunate havoc a crazy work schedule can play on preparing/eating a balanced meal. I get called in so many times before I have time to prep for the day, it's unreal.

I plan on getting a nice blender to make smoothies to take on the go, as I believe a fresh smoothie full of fruit, veggies, etc. is probably the healthier bet, and will have more fiber/be more filling.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    I have found I really like Pure Protein Whey Protein, made by Worldwide Sport Nutritional Supplements, Inc. (This is not a sales pitch). It contains 25 g. protein per 39 g. scoop, with 2 g. sugar, 8 g. carbohydrates, 2.5 g. fat, 150 calories. I blend it up with ice and whatever fruits I have around (strawberry, raspberry, banana, cantaloupe, etc.). I like the vanilla cream flavor. Makes a meal or post workout reward.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    My only tid bit here is to make sure you source your whey protein from New Zealand ( if you do your research you will find out WHY... that is all and welcome to the next step in turning food into a fuel source rathet than a coping source :flowerforyou:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet dual action protein powder in french vanilla. My nutritionist told me not to use it for a meal replacement unless it's an emergency. So, I put a tablespoon in my breakfast oatmeal and usually have a full serving as a fruit and milk shake mid afternoon.

Bluebonnet is pretty good. It's a serving of 1 scoop for 130 calories and 26 grams of protein. It's gluten free if that's an issue and has no sugar. They sweeten it with Stevia.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to look for ones with at least 20g of Protein per serving....not sure if that helps
  • fiferjim
    fiferjim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Totally lost too so jumping in so I can see the replies from others :)
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Think of your protein as food because that's what it is. Here's a great video and how-to-guide to calculate your macros (your recommended protein, fat and carb target)

Vismal from this community made this, he's awesome.

http://youtu.be/7cc18wLJW3k

How to calculate macros and calories for flexible dieting, also known as IIFYM.

Calories: 10-12 per lb of body weight
    Protein: 0.6-0.8 grams per lb of body weight minimum
    Fat: 0.3-0.45 grams per lb of body weight minimum

Now I'm pondering my numbers that are 'macros' - thanks a lot LOL
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My only tid bit here is to make sure you source your whey protein from New Zealand ( if you do your research you will find out WHY... that is all and welcome to the next step in turning food into a fuel source rathet than a coping source :flowerforyou:

and I'm off to do my research - LOL