New Wendy's Commercial & Food Rewards

Was on Youtube and saw the new commercial Wendy's has about a kid who was disappointed about her performance at her baseball game. So to cheer her up, they got a Wendy's frosty cone because they're celebrating that she didn't get hit with the ball.

Now this isn't a horrible ad or anything, but the thought to me was a lot of us struggle with 'food rewards' and getting over that mentality that "I deserve this piece of cake because of xyz". Then it snowballs that you can make up any sort of reason to reward yourself or cheat on your diet. "Well I walked for 2 minutes to my car in the parking garage, so I can have this brownie sundae". Or "Well I made my to do list, now to give myself a treat..."

What do you think? Did you or do you still struggle with the 'food reward'? Should they be portraying that in advertisements directed at children?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Should they be portraying that in advertisements directed at children?

If it increases their sales? Yes.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Should they be portraying that in advertisements directed at children?

If it increases their sales? Yes.

Exactly. Wendy's doesn't give a crap about what happens to the kids when they're older... as long as they still eat at Wendy's!
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    By the way, I completely understand from the business aspect, I'm a marketing professional.

I am more interested in the social aspect of what everyone here feels. I didn't ask about business performance and sales initiatives.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    I remember when I was a kid how big pizza hut was in commercials for celebrating after the "Big Game". It honestly felt good going out for pizza with all my friends and etc etc. At the end of the day this type of advertising is ok, they are afterall just trying to sell a product. They aren't forcing you to do get it but next time you feel you want to reward yourself for something you might think of them
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Fair warning - I'm somewhat cynical by nature...

My opinion - anyone who can be manipulated so much by a 30 second advertisement that they KNOW GOING IN is designed to get them to do/not do something probably isn't going to make the best decisions regardless.

I'm all for more honest advertisements, more family friendly tv/music, etc (how very old-fashioned of me); yet I also think people need to stop blaming commercials, TV, video games, movies, music, etc for all the ills of society.

ETA: to directly answer the question - I have no problem with the concept of a "food reward". I often treat my girls to ice cream or a frosty or something. But I also often say "no"...and that is one skill I think some parents today sorely lack.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    i never really had any "food rewards" because id just be looking for constant excuses to reward myself. before cutting back i would just eat whatever whenever i wanted, and now moderation is my friend.

i think any commercials directed at children are pretty devilish and whoever checks over commercials to approve them for tv should be alot stricter with them. the impressionability of children is so large that its really just taking advantage, and parents are getting less and less strict themselves on what children are allowed to do or say, it seems that the kids are running most households nowadays. its comparable to tobacco companies who used to target children for their cigarette commercials honestly, which the goal was to hook them when they are young
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    A very large chunk of advertisements are directed at children.

I don't see anything wrong with an occasional food reward/bribe. I've done it with my kiddos, and I'll likely do it again. While our main motivator for things is how it makes us feel, sometimes it's nice to surprise them with ice cream or a nice dinner out.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I think it's good coaching/parenting to celebrate with your kid even if they don't win a game. Ice cream is a common thing with which to celebrate.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Fair warning - I'm somewhat cynical by nature...

My opinion - anyone who can be manipulated so much by a 30 second advertisement that they KNOW GOING IN is designed to get them to do/not do something probably isn't going to make the best decisions regardless.

I'm all for more honest advertisements, more family friendly tv/music, etc (how very old-fashioned of me); yet I also think people need to stop blaming commercials, TV, video games, movies, music, etc for all the ills of society.

ETA: to directly answer the question - I have no problem with the concept of a "food reward". I often treat my girls to ice cream or a frosty or something. But I also often say "no"...and that is one skill I think some parents today sorely lack.

This ^^

Edited to add: what I got from that commerical, saw it last night for the first time, was no matter how bad you "think" something is, there is always a bright spot. My 14 year old daughter's comment was "LOL Mom like when I don't score a goal and you say "at least you didn't break any bones"" . Guess she missed the whole food reward thing too.
  • Was on Youtube and saw the new commercial Wendy's has about a kid who was disappointed about her performance at her baseball game. So to cheer her up, they got a Wendy's frosty cone because they're celebrating that she didn't get hit with the ball.

Now this isn't a horrible ad or anything, but the thought to me was a lot of us struggle with 'food rewards' and getting over that mentality that "I deserve this piece of cake because of xyz". Then it snowballs that you can make up any sort of reason to reward yourself or cheat on your diet. "Well I walked for 2 minutes to my car in the parking garage, so I can have this brownie sundae". Or "Well I made my to do list, now to give myself a treat..."

What do you think? Did you or do you still struggle with the 'food reward'? Should they be portraying that in advertisements directed at children?

I really don't like those commercials! The trick is NOT to use food as a reward. Remember, we're not dogs or circus animals getting trained. When food is used as a reward, we are virtually training ourselves to eat poorly. When I get 25% of the way to my goal, I'm going to massage envy and have 90 minutes of bliss!
  • brower47
    i never really had any "food rewards" because id just be looking for constant excuses to reward myself. before cutting back i would just eat whatever whenever i wanted, and now moderation is my friend.

i think any commercials directed at children are pretty devilish and whoever checks over commercials to approve them for tv should be alot stricter with them. the impressionability of children is so large that its really just taking advantage, and parents are getting less and less strict themselves on what children are allowed to do or say, it seems that the kids are running most households nowadays. its comparable to tobacco companies who used to target children for their cigarette commercials honestly, which the goal was to hook them when they are young

First bolded: I don't want some government bureaucrat acting as food morality police for business advertizing. It's a band aid that wouldn't do anything to fix the underlying problem which is knowledge and adherence to nutritional principles (or bad parenting if a parent can't say "no" to their children).

Second bolded: Tobacco targeting children when the substance they are peddling had been proven to be a human carcinogen isn't even in the same ballpark as a Wendy's frosty.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

Last night my 9 year old said "commercials are made to make you think things that aren't really true, aren't they?".

Kids aren't nearly as dumb or impressionable as you think they are, IMO.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I rewarded myself with ice cream when I went up in weights the other day. Does it make a difference if the kid actually achieved something?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Ice cream makes people feel better sometimes. It's ultimately up to the parent to make sure it's eaten in moderation.
  • brower47
    I rewarded myself with ice cream when I went up in weights the other day. Does it make a difference if the kid actually achieved something?

That's actually what bothered me the most in the description of this commercial. It's not that they were rewarding with food, it's that they were rewarding a non achievement. I think that sort of action is potentially far more damaging to a growing child's mental state than the act of rewarding actual achievement with food.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    I never had any issues with food rewards for my sons. As their mother, I ruled the house and my word was law. I felt it was my responsibility and duty to teach my children nutrition, healthy food choices, and limits despite commercial advertisements.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member

First bolded: I don't want some government bureaucrat acting as food morality police for business advertizing. It's a band aid that wouldn't do anything to fix the underlying problem which is knowledge and adherence to nutritional principles (or bad parenting if a parent can't say "no" to their children).

Second bolded: Tobacco targeting children when the substance they are peddling had been proven to be a human carcinogen isn't even in the same ballpark as a Wendy's frosty.

I agree with you Brower47, expecially the part I bolded in your words. Blame the advertising or the company...because parents' can't say no or anything....seems legit.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member

+1
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    There will always be temptations out there...always...

Food has been a part of every ones culture...it brings people together...it is share with each other.

Food is associated with most things in our lives...

Church gatherings...
    Funerals...
    Sunday dinner with family...
    Birthdays...
    Weddings...

and yes...

To soothe one's broken heart.

Using food as a part of celebrations and moments of comfort is not the problem...at least in my opinion.

As far as targeting children...well...that is done and has been done since man created advertising. We parents are bleeding hearts when it come to making our children happy.

It is our job as parents to teach...teach them that food can be fun...it can be healthy...that food can be a part of their lives. It is also up to parent to teach our children how to have a healthy relationship with food.

How many children would be asking to go to Wendy's if they were saying..."Come to Wendy's and get your bowl of spinach to celebrate"? Not many I bet...

Whether if be a Frosty...a toy...latest tennis shoes or IPhone...retailers will go after the market that is most likely to want those items...
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member

I agree with you Brower47, expecially the part I bolded in your words. Blame the advertising or the company...because parents' can't say no or anything....seems legit.
    i never said to blame the advertising company, and any parent who cant say no to their kid is clearly unfit, all i was referring to is that kids are extremely impressionable, if they see a commercial that has some sort of reward system impregnated in it, they are more likely to follow that system than if they had not seen said commercial, no?

comparing it to tobacco was an extreme comparison ill admit, but its not far off