opions please

Options
35 yr old female, 5'5 and already lost about 70 lbs, looking for help with the last 10 or so, then gradual shift to maintenance. currently "stuck" 4 weeks

before the flames start- I know a plateau isn't labeled as such until 6 weeks... but, here I am. 4 weeks and no loss in fact, a little gain. I went from 140.4 to 141.4 over the month, weighs in-between were both higher, as high as 144

started MFP and didn't really pay enough attention. did 1200 cals, used the site for burns but didn't eat them back. wised up, put myself to 1400 and got a heart rate monitor and digital food scale. I feel like im pretty accurate, not always a great logger, but weigh and measure and keep under my 1400 eating back all exercise calories (300-600 cals just about 7 days a week, but usually the higher end) ive been happy, feel good, etc. but now the stall... frustrating when I'm so close! I mainly do cardio, and know I should be adding in some weight work.... maybe that's that will make the difference?

decided to use IIFYM site, got 1700 ish and put my macros at 40% protein 20% fat 20% carb.

reassure me that this is the right way to go?! I think I *know* this is what I need to do (as opposed to going back down to say 1200 away) so increase my net to 1700 and hope for results?! keep on keeping on what Ive been doing and add in weights? what's the advice of wiser MFP folks. any ideas for me?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am not gonna say yes that's the way to go..

If you feel you are eating 1400 calories a day and not losing...you won't lose at 1700.

The key is logging accurately...I looked at your diary and it doesn't appear that you weigh all your solids..or use the entries that you should.

There are lots of entries in there using cups...rice 1cup, pasta 2 cups, cheese 2tbsp, peanut butter 1.32tbsp...

Entries that start with Generic...or homemade (which are fine if it's your recipe)

As well you eat back all your exercise calories...typically MFP over estimates for those so the suggestion is 50-75%

My advice is to clean up your logging

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078

and cut back on eating all your exercise calories....then see what happens.
  • poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion... A name I see here, trust and respect! It's really is appreciated.

My logged exercise calories are from my heart rate monitor. I change the burn to whatever my output is based on the polar chest strap I wear. Would you suggest not eating them all back even still?

I know I'm a sloppy logger- I generally weigh and then choose an option with the same calories as whatever I'm eating even if the entry doesn't read correct but I see how that screws me in terms of macros etc. I certainly could challenge myself to be less lazy and make a better log.

Better bet? Make sure I'm actually eating net 1400?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If it is steady state cardio with a chest strap I would try 75% as even with HRM they aren't 100% accurate...

I understand almost being at maitenance and then waiting...and to me 4 weeks is long enough.

When I was waiting on my last 1lb (took 3 weeks....:sad: ) as I was reverse dieting so increasing calories I gained 2lbs (water retention) so on the last week I tightened up my logging hard...even measured sugar and cream in my coffee, let the stress go...said to myself it's water repeatedly and it was gone...

So with you so close to maitenance as well tightening up the logging will help...lowering the exercise calories you eat you should see the scale move...

Make sure you drink your water, don't stress (cortisol levels rise causing water retention, causing more stress...viscious cycle) take a deep breath and become a logging ocd person for the next week and see what happens.

good luck.
  • poke987
    Options
    Thanks again, that's what I'll do. Double down, make sure to net 1400... Logging extra carefully and eat back 75% calories from burn.

Also, i forgot to add that I had my IUD removed, and went to an oral hormonal (albeit low dose) pill this month... I've told myself it's NO excuse. I won't allow myself to use it that way, but it still makes me wonder if there is come correlation as nothing else has really changed.

Motivation. Determination.

Thank you!!
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My assumption would be your exercise calories are over estimated by about 300 a day if you're measuring 600.

Cut it in half. Try that for 3-6 weeks and recheck your weight trend again =\
  • poke987
    Options
    I guess I could research a little, but most days I do 60 mins cardio, I average 5 miles running most days... some more some less and a bit of gym (elliptical mainly) mixed with family stuff (run shorter but pushing stroller, bike with kids towed behind (60 lbs)) so I'm not sure my burns are the problem. I use a heart rate monitor for my counts. I'm willing to accept the possibility and I'll eat back 75% for a while and see if it makes the difference. But, like sezxysteph suggests it's more likely sloppy logging. Or, as I originally thought maybe 1400 isn't enough given my workouts. Assuming I'd lose in deficit I think the plan of cleaning up my diary to be sure I'm really netting 1400 is the place to start.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

decided to use IIFYM site, got 1700 ish and put my macros at 40% protein 20% fat 20% carb.
    Those ratios add up to 80%....ratios are a very old school way to calculate macros. You should do it based on weight (I have a link in my profile to a video showing how I calculate my macros). Using your method you are almost certain to have too much protein and not enough fat. It really depends though where that missing 20% is going.
  • poke987
    Options
    another opinion I trust... sorry, that should have read 40/30/30 the site did give it to me in grams, when I changed the goals in MFP that's when I got the %s from. I did go by grams today as I was trying to make my calories fit into that diagram; an added dimension for sure!

getting off to bed now, will certainly check out the video link tomorrow, im interested to know where id ideally want the numbers to be. I think having a handle on macros will be the next "piece" to my puzzle. thanks for the catch