Needing food ideas

Options
I started using MFP in the passed couple of weeks, and I'm finding the hardest thing for me to do is plan meals. I end up either over my sugar and carbs, or under my calories, and either way my counter complains at me. I seem to be managing the carbs lately, but that damn sugar... (I like fruit. That's where 90% of my sugar comes from).

I need some breakfast food ideas, and some snack ideas. Recently I've been resorting to boiled eggs and an apple for breakfast, and I'm getting bored of it. I've no idea how to shop for a breakfast that isn't pancakes, bacon, eggs, toast, cereal-- you get the idea. And for snacks... I would like something a wee bit more exciting than carving up bell peppers.

Help is appreciated~

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Welcome to MFP

MFP is a wonderful tool. I hope it is helpful to you.

I suggest you start with your favorite foods and try to prepare them yourself in a healthier version (i.e. more matural ingredients, less frying, use olive oil, replace soda with water /tea/cofee, make your own juice, etc, etc)

Try to avoid processed foods, as much as you can.

Do not bother tracking sugar at MFP food macros, replace with fiber, sodium, potassium or whatever you like. Keep on eating fruit, the real thing.

I cooked rolled oats for breakfast, with water, diced apple and cinnamon stick. I add almond milk and dried cranberry , after boiling and let it simmer. I serve my oats with the following toppings:cinnamon powder, flaxseed ground and blueberries.

One boiled egg a day.

Snacks: fruit with cheese or peanut butter, plain greek yogurt with diced fruit, mixed nuts.

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I removed the sugar column and replaced it with a fiber column. Carbs are being tracked already, and sugar is a carb.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I removed the sugar column and replaced it with a fiber column. Carbs are being tracked already, and sugar is a carb.

This!^

Unless you have medical issues no need to track sugar.

The macro I worry about the most is protein.....si I tend to plan around that.

Breakfast is Greek yogurt & dry cereal. If you want less cereal, try Greek yogurt, 3 TBL Fiber One & 1 TBL slivered almonds....this gives me protein, fat & fiber.

Oatmeal is good too. I start with plain oats & cook them with milk for more protein. Then stir in a few chopped walnuts, cinnamon & sugar.....protein, fat & fiber.

Snacks, I like reduced fat string cheese, or Apple slices with peanut butter (PB2 is powdered peanut butter....low fat). Air popped popcorn is good. Hummus makes a hearty dip for veggies as does Greek yogurt mixed with ranch seasoning.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have no fat yoghurt with 10 g of granola stirred in. If I am out of granola will stir in 10 g of rolled oats and sweetener (jam, maple syrup, coulis or fruit compote). I don't like to eat a lot of carbs because I find they leave me feeling ravenous a few hours later, but if it isn't a problem for you try oatmeal or congee.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eggs and bacon for breakfast. If you want cereal, make it a healthier version like
    Total or Fiber One and not one loaded with sugar, marshmallows etc. I have oatmeal and berries most days, eggs on the weekend.

I go for protein first for snacks, so hard boiled eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, peanut butter with apple or banana slices but also veggies with dip, tuna, leftover chicken, truly whatever looks good in the frig that fits into my plan.
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    Hello! Try not to be so concerned about the numbers if your sugar intake comes from natural sources, such as fruit. Our bodies are designed to digest fruit easily and use its sugar efficiently - it is in many ways the perfect food.

Breakfast ideas: veggie omelets/quiches, fruit smoothies, oatmeal, fruit and yogurt, crepes, healthy muffins/bread (such as Ezekiel bread - find it in the refrigerator section), rice cake with peanut butter or nutella.
    Often for breakfast I'll do a whole wheat bread with some kind of spread/fruit combo. Such as a slice of toast with nutella and banana slices, or peanut butter and peach slices, etc.

Snack ideas: any fruit or veggie! veggies and hummus, nuts, apples and peanut butter, whole wheat pretzels with mustard, small caprese salad, yogurt, low cal popcorn, sweet potato fries, etc.
  • Urumetsuki
    Options
    All of these are really great ideas so far, thanks guys!

I kind of figured that I shouldn't worry about the sugar count, when it's coming from fruit, but I wasn't entirely sure, either. I find myself rather content and feeling my best when I'm eating a lot of fruit, but because I had/have little education or knowledge about healthy diet and exercise, I wasn't really sure.

I'll try switching the cheese I eat out for a lighter version. I have plenty of meats in the freezer- my only issue is finding something to put them with that isn't potatoes, rice, pasta, or bread. Though a sole fillet and a 1/4 cup of rice goes very well together.

I'll take everyone's advice, and take the sugar off my counter, and write down these breakfast ideas. :) The oatmeal should be really easy to make; we have a rice maker that has settings for it, and bags upon bags of plain oats.