hrm question.....

Options
so ive just been kind of playing/experimenting with my hrm while working. It takes a continuous heart rate, has a chest strap, and its set to medium activity person. for a 12 hour work day it said i burned around 6000 AFTER i subtract my resting hr calories. Im just wondering if this is probably even close to correct? I am a mix of walking, running, squating and standing, and sitting while i work. This is more for fun but i would like to know lol.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    •The manufacturers of heart rate monitors don't make public the various formulas they use to calculate energy burn, so these formulas haven't been reviewed or studied thoroughly. Heart rate monitor formulas, however, presumably factor in the relationship between oxygen consumption and heart rate discovered during VO2 testing. According to a report by researchers from BodyMedia (Recent Advances in Free-Living Physical Activity Monitoring: A Review), in testing the performance heart rate monitors, rather than their formulas, they've been shown to be most accurate in calculating calories burned during moderate to vigorous activity level. Calculations are more prone to error during low intensity activities.

Read more: How Heart Rate Monitors Calculate Calories Burned | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5700177_heart-monitors-calculate-calories-burned.html#ixzz13xTqD6FG
  • cozzy530
    Options
    Wow 6000 calories in 12 hours? That is WAY OFF!! In a normal day you take in around 1500-1800 calories just to maintain your current weight. Burning 6000 calories in a day is more than a navy seal does during Hell week. In a normal day I burn around 1900 Calories and take in around 1700-1800. I am 5' 8 170lbs and very active. For me to burn 6000 calories would equal 12 hours of non stop cardio and even though I am in good shape I think my heart would quit after two hours.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a very active job - hope you selected that on your goals so it is represented in your "calories curned through normal activity". I do not count what I did before I started this journey - including working, cleaning, etc. I only count the cals burned through exercise!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    They are not designed to be worn all day, which likely explains the lack of accuracy. You really just need to use it during your actual workout.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    i just wanted to see what i might be burning since i usually am sweaty and sore by the end of the day and im always feeling crappy for eating catered food which im sure is a ton of calories (i work weddings)...but i figure im probably burning more than just my bmr. So i wanted to see if i could figure out how much but numbers like that seem crazy. Mon-fri most my work is computer.