I have been warned

Options
So this morning, after updating my current weight, I received a warning from MFP that my BMI has dipped below 18.5.

I think I need to reshift my focus to building some muscle. Of course I don't think I appear underweight. I do have a small frame, but, as much as I want to be happy with how my body looks, I understand it is also important to stay healthy. I know I am the smallest I have been in my adult life...really the smallest I have been since the 8th grade, but most of the feedback I have gotten about my recent weight loss (only about 10 pounds) has been positive...unless that is just how I am interpreting it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the numbers on the scale go up if it meant gaining a few pounds of muscle. My body fat percentage is currently around 20 % ( going by my scale which has me between 19-21 % depending on time of day and hydration ) which I guess isn't too bad for a woman in her mid-40s. I do worry about looking older if I get too lean ( I think after a certain age you need a little fat in your face to fill out the wrinkles). I know I've heard people say that after a certain age you need to make a choice between your face and your butt...which I suppose is why they created "fillers."

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, the more muscle you have the less frail you are as you get older.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I would definitely stop loosing. I'd increase your calories a bit each week until you do in order to try and figure out your maintenance.
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand the options in that saying, your face or your butt? I think I want a healthy face and a healthy butt ;)
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand the options in that saying, your face or your butt? I think I want a healthy face and a healthy butt ;)

Glutes that salute and a smile that kills ;)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You could always increase your calorie intake and start lifting weights. You won't get 'bulky' (its really hard for a woman to bulk - we have to work at it if we want big muscles), but you might like what it does to your body. :)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

The "your face or your butt" thing comes from choosing between being overweight and having a fuller, more youthful face, or having a more fit figure. It's a terrible statement, IMO.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

The "your face or your butt" thing comes from choosing between being overweight and having a fuller, more youthful face, or having a more fit figure. It's a terrible statement, IMO.

OMG, thanks for clearing that up! I thought that saying was about private moments.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

OMG, thanks for clearing that up! I thought that saying was about private moments.

I guess it could be, but usually there's a question mark involved.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Glutes that salute and a smile that kills ;)

full of win.
  • amandacolaizzi
    amandacolaizzi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've actually had this same problem last year. It was the first year in my life that I have ever decided to get 'in shape'. So I dropped my calories down to 1200 calories a day and began doing a TON of cardio because i wasn't a big fan of strength training. I lost the weight i needed but was down below the recommended weight for my height. I was naturally thin and had a frail frame. What I soon realized was that I began to feel weaker. If you don't take in enough calories and you continue dropping weight, your body begins to dissolve muscle tissue for energy. I should have known this since I am in the medical field. However, it always seems to slip your mind when it comes to your own body. I eventually had to quit all of it because I had to have back surgery. However, this time around I decided to get in 'enough' cardio, however to focus my time on strength training and eating enough calories. It is AMAZING the difference. I haven't bulked up. Like someone else said, it's very difficult for a woman to naturally do that. However, I am so much stronger. I just feel healthier all around and my body has never looked better. I don't have an updated picture to show you. But i would if i could. Yes, I was thin before. I was the weight I wanted to be. But I had no definition. I was just skinny, not fit. Being athletic and fit is such an amazing feeling. I would trade a few extra pounds on the scale for this feeling any day. I am not a fitness expert. I just figured I would give you my experience. For whatever that is worth :) I hope that you find whatever works best for you.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

If you get thin when your older, your face often becomes more gaunt, and it can make you look older and your face look more lined and wrinkled. So people say it's better to have some more weight so that your face doesn't look too old.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

If you get thin when your older, your face often becomes more gaunt, and it can make you look older and your face look more lined and wrinkled. So people say it's better to have some more weight so that your face doesn't look too old.

Pretty true, when I went from 280 to 195 in a year and a half my mother said “you need to stop losing weight because you’re looking older” lol Mother’s… I said Mom, I’m 55 leave me alone. lol